Foros de discusión

Unicode Characters in Screen Name?

Chintan Akhani, modificado hace 12 años.

Unicode Characters in Screen Name?

Regular Member Mensajes: 111 Fecha de incorporación: 13/03/08 Mensajes recientes
Hi All,

We require to support unicode characters in screen Name, but it doesn't support OOTB. Please provide your views on how can we achieve this?

Thanks,
Chitnan
thumbnail
Sandeep Nair, modificado hace 12 años.

RE: Unicode Characters in Screen Name?

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1744 Fecha de incorporación: 6/11/08 Mensajes recientes
One way can be create a new custom field for user which and use that as screen name instead of Liferay's screename.

Regards,
Sandeep
thumbnail
Vetal Koshelenko, modificado hace 11 años.

Expert Mensajes: 319 Fecha de incorporación: 25/03/11 Mensajes recientes
You can create hook on UserLocalServiceImpl class - in validateScreenName method define your own logic of screen name validation.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
Screen name can be used instead of email address to login. Wonder if all will work properly with unicode screen name.
thumbnail
Sandeep Nair, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1744 Fecha de incorporación: 6/11/08 Mensajes recientes
Yes Hitoshi that was my concern. Especially the friendly url for user AFIK is created using screen name so it will definitely break that
Chintan Akhani, modificado hace 11 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 111 Fecha de incorporación: 13/03/08 Mensajes recientes
Yes Sandip,

We tried to achieve this by modifying UserLocalServiceImpl class. After that it is allowing us to use unicode characters in screen name but in this case user's public and private page urls are not working, as it contains screen name in it. And not sure whether this change can make any impact on any other functionality or not.

Thanks,
Chintan
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
It will. Not recommended. Liferay was designed to work mainly with latin1 character set. It 18N supported is mainly just because it's written in Java.

I've developed a more I18N version but non-latin1 characters in screen name is not one of the modification I've implemented.
Chintan Akhani, modificado hace 11 años.

Thanks for your reply Hitoshi. So does it mean that we should not do this modification and do continue with Liferay's screenName validation process?
thumbnail

Yes. Unless you're willing to commit some time to it, I recommend not doing it. This is especially true when you think about versioning up. This is one of the core functionalities and if you modify it, you have to risk not being able to version up in the future. I limit myself to (1) wrapping features around liferay's core functionalities without changing them and to (2) replacing independent classes.

If you've seen liferay version up process at this site (www.liferay.com) , you'll know that it's not a very easy matter. If you've tried versioning up a site like this yourself, you'll know to keep modifications to a manageable level.

The other option is to request liferay.com to support it in the forum. If you can one of the liferay.com developer interested, they may support it.
http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/category/1108052