Foros de discusión

Liferay with Multiple Instances

thumbnail
Tom Mahy, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay with Multiple Instances

Regular Member Mensajes: 103 Fecha de incorporación: 11/05/11 Mensajes recientes
Hi,

I'm using liferay 6.0.6
I go into the control panel and add an instance.

identifier : test.com
vhost : test.com
mail : test.com

It created fine. I have then put an apache server with reverse proxy in front of it.
I browse to the original URL and see the site. But when i go to the site with the secondary address i still see the first instance.
The url is fine and is correct , but when i go into the control panel all options have links to the first instance.

What am i doing wrong ?
I have also tried adding the urls to the hosts file.

120.0.0.1 test.com
120.0.0.1 test1.com

But that doesnt change anything.
The only doc i could find was from liferay 4.3
http://content.liferay.com/4.3/doc/installation/liferay_4_installation_guide/multipage/ch06.html

Any help ?
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 11 años.

RE: Liferay with Multiple Instances

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
Your question is a little bit confusing. Are you trying to add "test.com" or "test1.com"?
What's your environment? Are you on linux + tomcat?

How are you setting up connection to your application server from Apache? Are you letting domain name through and not redirecting to your first domain name or ip address of the server?
thumbnail

Regular Member Mensajes: 103 Fecha de incorporación: 11/05/11 Mensajes recientes
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.
test.com is the default instance ( changed from liferay.com )
test1.com is the second instance.

We are using linux and tomcat from the default package.

For the apache we use the ip.
So the user connects to the apache with test.com or test1.com and this redirects to the same IP.
It this causing the problem ?
thumbnail
Milen Dyankov, modificado hace 11 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 171 Fecha de incorporación: 23/09/09 Mensajes recientes
If I correctly understand your situation, you have 2 virtual hosts on the Apache side and both of them proxy requests to the same Liferay instance by IP.

If that is so, then from Liferay's perspective in both cases the request goes to server's IP address (not domain name) and thus it will select the default instance.
In order to make that work you'll have to proxy to given domain name (not IP address) or use mod_jk/mod_proxy_ajp which will automatically pass the domain name to Liferay.
thumbnail

I will try this asap.

But how would this work with a cluster setup ?
For our production environment we have the apache setup which redirects to a load balancer ( hardware ) and then to an array of liferay cluster nodes. Again this is currently done with the IP (on apache and the load balancer).

Does this mean we will need a load balancer per instance ? with the load balancers redirecting with the hostname ?
thumbnail
Milen Dyankov, modificado hace 11 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 171 Fecha de incorporación: 23/09/09 Mensajes recientes
Tom Mahy:
But how would this work with a cluster setup ?
For our production environment we have the apache setup which redirects to a load balancer ( hardware ) and then to an array of liferay cluster nodes. Again this is currently done with the IP (on apache and the load balancer).

Does this mean we will need a load balancer per instance ? with the load balancers redirecting with the hostname ?

Honestly speaking I've never used Liferay's virtual instances feature (apart from some out of curiosity experiments).
However I've done similar things with multiple sites/communities (having different virtual hosts) and mod_proxy_ajp on Apache side. It works without problems.
If you have to stick with HTTP proxy approach then I guess you'll have to load balancer per domain. Of course there may be a better way, which I'm not aware of.
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez P, modificado hace 11 años.

RE: Liferay with Multiple Instances (Respuesta)

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 3089 Fecha de incorporación: 28/10/08 Mensajes recientes
Milen Dyankov:
If I correctly understand your situation, you have 2 virtual hosts on the Apache side and both of them proxy requests to the same Liferay instance by IP.

If that is so, then from Liferay's perspective in both cases the request goes to server's IP address (not domain name) and thus it will select the default instance.
In order to make that work you'll have to proxy to given domain name (not IP address) or use mod_jk/mod_proxy_ajp which will automatically pass the domain name to Liferay.

That's right. Load balancer should pass somehow client host header with original host name (instead of internal cluster server IP/name). It should be possible tweaking some Apache config.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
Also, be sure to use domain name to redirect in portal-ext.properties

##
## Redirect
##

#
# Set this property to "ip" or "domain" for the redirect security method. If
# set to "domain", the portal will only redirect users to domains listed in
# the property "redirect.url.domain.allowed". If set to "ip", the portal
# will only redirect to domains whose IP address resolve to an IP address
# listed in the property "redirect.url.ip.allowed".
#
#redirect.url.security.mode=domain
redirect.url.security.mode=ip

#
# Input a list of comma delimited domains which the portal is allowed to
# redirect to. Input a blank list to allow any domain.
#
redirect.url.domains.allowed=

#
# Input a list of comma delimited IPs which the portal is allowed to
# redirect to. Input a blank list to allow any IP. SERVER_IP will be
# replaced with the IP of the host server.
#
redirect.url.ips.allowed=127.0.0.1,SERVER_IP
thumbnail

Thank you for the support. That worked.