Foros de discusión

Site Copy Translation Questions?

Jeff Luman, modificado hace 11 años.

Site Copy Translation Questions?

New Member Mensaje: 1 Fecha de incorporación: 21/09/12 Mensajes recientes
We are utilizing the 6.1 Liferay Enterprise Portal. One of the pain points we are having is translating the Web Content that is appearing within the Portal. We have been able to translate the Portal Navigational Elements themselves. However, the web content has been a different story.

We understand you can just go into the Web Content Edit pages and translate it there if you'd like. However, we would rather extract those pages, put them into our Translation Management System so that we can leverage all of our Translation Memory and then re-import the newly Translated content back in. Does anyone have any suggestions about best practices for this scenario? I'm sure we aren't the first that would rather not translate the web content from scratch without leveraging any Translation Memory. I think there probably is an easier way than to take an SQL dump and then re-import that?

Thanks, in advance, for any direction or thoughts you can provide.

-Jeff
thumbnail
Daniel Sanz, modificado hace 11 años.

RE: Site Copy Translation Questions?

Regular Member Mensajes: 143 Fecha de incorporación: 14/12/10 Mensajes recientes
Hi Jeff,
as you point out, translating content generated by users is a very different task that translating the fixed strings in the product.

In this case, I would recommend to extract contents via Liferay API. A simple custom development can export all the contents in the source language into a set of files which could be imported as source translations. An issue you should address is the mapping of exported contents and your translation system entries. A possibility is to use the pair articleId, groupId during export. A more user firendly way is to use title,groupid, but title is mutable whilst articleId is not.

For the other way round, Liferay API can be used to update the contents with new translations exported from your translation system. Just make sure you are able to map exported data to existing web contents (I'm assuming that you can't create new content from translation tool, so that all exported content should pre-exist in Liferay CMS). For deleted contents, just make sure that your Liferay2translationtool code deletes anything in the translation tool which don't exist in Liferay, just to keep them in sync.

Hope this helps

Regards,
Daniel.
thumbnail
Milan Palian, modificado hace 11 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 43 Fecha de incorporación: 10/12/09 Mensajes recientes
You could just do it the pedestrian way and that is open the content in Liferay WCM and copy-paste the article into your TMS. Later you go the same content in WCM, chose "add translation" and copy-paste the translated text back into Liferay. It really depends on the quantity.
Mariana Medeiros, modificado hace 8 años.

New Member Mensaje: 1 Fecha de incorporación: 25/05/15 Mensajes recientes
Jeff Luman:
We are utilizing the 6.1 Liferay Enterprise Portal. One of the pain points we are having is translating the Web Content that is appearing within the Portal. We have been able to translate the Portal Navigational Elements themselves. However, the web content has been a different story.

We understand you can just go into the Web Content Edit pages and translate it there if you'd like. However, we would rather extract those pages, put them into our Translation Management System so that we can leverage all of our Translation Memory and then re-import the newly Translated content back in. Does anyone have any suggestions about best practices for this scenario? I'm sure we aren't the first that would rather not translate the web content from scratch without leveraging any Translation Memory. I think there probably is an easier way than to take an SQL dump and then re-import that?

Thanks, in advance, for any direction or thoughts you can provide.

-Jeff

I would be interested in hearing more about how you integrated the Translation Management System with the effort of translating the portal in the end.