Foros de discusión

How many sites can Liferay support?

B B, modificado hace 11 años.

How many sites can Liferay support?

New Member Mensajes: 7 Fecha de incorporación: 28/09/12 Mensajes recientes
I was looking at this related thread but it seems bit outdated and never really fully answers the question. I am planning on developing a Portal that may need to manage several thousand sites. Each site would have permissions to a different resource. When a user becomes a member of that site they would have permission to access the resource. I am wondering if this is possible on Liferay or if it is even the ideal way to do something like this?
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 11 años.

RE: How many sites can Liferay support?

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
Do you really mean "site" or "instances"?

Either way, it depends more on what kind of plugins you're going to have. If it's just mainly view sites, should be able to support over 1,000 sites. However, if there's going to be extensive writing, it's probably is going to be much lower. You'll have to do some performance testing with plugins you're using. Be sure to disable/delete unnecessary plugins and to externalize indexing.
thumbnail
Victor Zorin, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1228 Fecha de incorporación: 14/04/08 Mensajes recientes
On last week North America symposium in San Francisco there was a presentation where a reference was made that a single portal was made to manage 25,000 organisations and 100,000 users.
Assuming that each organisation can be (equal to) a site, we can expect that portal is proved to be capable of handling these numbers.

However, these numbers will not be very relevant when sites are implemented as portal virtual instances.
B B, modificado hace 11 años.

New Member Mensajes: 7 Fecha de incorporación: 28/09/12 Mensajes recientes
Thanks for the replies. I am still new to Liferay so I am not very clear on the terminology.

When I say site I mean site as defined in jorge.ferrer blog post . I do not understand the term instance, or portal virtual instance. Can some one define these terms and explain to me how it relates to my problem. Are they more beneficial?

The sites will have a portlet that will query data from the DB.
thumbnail
Victor Zorin, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1228 Fecha de incorporación: 14/04/08 Mensajes recientes
Checked this blog, yes you can have at least 25000 of those sites. The blog does not talk about portal instances.

Portal instance is where you have a completely independent portal running on the same Liferay installation. Portal instances do not see each other and do not share data, except portlets/themes.

With sites/communities/organisations created on the same portal instance, single Portal Administrator can see / have access to all sites/communities/organisations. That's the major difference from this perspective.