Foros de discusión

Liferay Upgardation

thumbnail
Vishal Kumar, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Upgardation

Regular Member Mensajes: 198 Fecha de incorporación: 12/12/12 Mensajes recientes
Hi Everybody,
Could any body let me know , In my project only Custom Portlet and Theme is used.
When the version of liferay will be upgraded then we have to do any code re-work for that.

thanks in advance.
thumbnail
Jitendra Rajput, modificado hace 11 años.

RE: Liferay Upgardation

Liferay Master Mensajes: 875 Fecha de incorporación: 7/01/11 Mensajes recientes
Step by step you need to perform up gradation.
1) Start with data upgrade first . Try to upgrade your liferay database to next major release.
I.e if you are using Liferay 5.2SP3 and you want to upgrade it into LIferay 6.1 then you need to follow 2 step process to upgrade.
First upgrade database of LR 5.2 SP3 to LR 6.0 EE (major release )
As a second step upgrade your LR 6.0 EE database LR 6.1 EE . This was for database upgrade. Try to search on google so many articles are written for the same.
Here are the few links

http://www.liferay.com/documentation/liferay-portal/6.1/user-guide/-/ai/upgrading-lifer-5
http://itsliferay.blogspot.in/2012/06/upgrade-database-from-liferay-52-sp-3.html
http://itsliferay.blogspot.in/2012/06/upgrade-database-from-liferay-60-to.html

2) Once you are done with database upgrade you can start upgrading your code.
I suggest first start with your ext . If you are using ext environment then you need to covert it into ext plugin.

3) Then upgrade other plugins like hooks , portlets etc.

Hope this helps ..
- Jitendra
thumbnail

Regular Member Mensajes: 198 Fecha de incorporación: 12/12/12 Mensajes recientes
Actually i asked if in a project there is only custom portlet and theme is there and if we want to upgrade it ,
Then any code re-work is needed or not. I dont want to know the procedure actually.
Do i need to change my code anywhere?
thumbnail
Jitendra Rajput, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 875 Fecha de incorporación: 7/01/11 Mensajes recientes
What you think code will never change from one liferay version to another ?

There are couple of changes in Liferay APIs when you upgrade Liferay.
thumbnail
Vilmos Papp, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 529 Fecha de incorporación: 21/10/10 Mensajes recientes
Hi,

I think from 6.1 there is a check for the supported portal version of the theme, so I think, there's a good chance you will have some tasks with upgrading the theme itself in some cases. About the portlet upgrade, it really depends on the API you used. The good news is that in the release notes, you can find the API changes, so you can get a good hint about whether you have to work on your code or not.

Regards,
Vilmos
thumbnail

Actually my Client need all kind of software should be easily upgradable without code re-work.
It is achievable or not in liferay?
thumbnail

Liferay Master Mensajes: 529 Fecha de incorporación: 21/10/10 Mensajes recientes
Between major versions there is chance that API changed as it contains a bunch of improvements/new features, in minor versions there's usually no significant API changes, except for some very important cases like security or performance issue.

Anyway, If you develop pure JSR-168 and/or JSP-286 portlets without Liferay API usage, you can avoid it, but you have to reimplement a huge amount of functionality then, what are already implemented in the portal's services.

You probably should review your themes in major version upgrade. e.g.: in 5.2 there was jQuery as JS framework embedded in themes, now YUI based Alloy is used from 6.0.
thumbnail

Thanks a million Vilmos.It was a great help.
thumbnail

You're welcome emoticon