Foros de discusión

Hoe does LifeRay Comapre to Drupal?

thumbnail
Aaron Handford, modificado hace 15 años.

Hoe does LifeRay Comapre to Drupal?

New Member Mensajes: 2 Fecha de incorporación: 14/01/09 Mensajes recientes
Hi, I am new to Liferay and this forum. How does Liferay compare to Drupal? Is it as customizable? Does LifeRay have any advantages over Drupal?
thumbnail
Jonas Yuan, modificado hace 15 años.

RE: Hoe does LifeRay Comapre to Drupal?

Liferay Master Mensajes: 993 Fecha de incorporación: 27/04/07 Mensajes recientes
Hi Aaron,

Some information about Liferay vs Drupal:

Liferay is a popular new CMS that is great for building portals, and offers a professional look and feel that sets it apart from the other platforms. It's easy to use. Personalize your own work experience. It comes with everything you need.
License: MIT
Programming Language: Java, PHP, Ruby, (almost any language)
Main advantages: CMS, WCM (Web Content Management), collaboration, calendars, internationalization, design, portlet standard (JSR-286), SOA, easy to integrate third party systems (e.g., Alfresco, OpenX, etc.) and more ...

refer to:http://www.sesamestreet.org

Drupal gets the top nod because of its ease of use, vast number of modules, great user, developer, and support community.
License: GPL
Programming Language: PHP
Main advantages: core CMS, Views, CCK, Organic Groups, & huge library of contributed modules

and more ....

Thanks

Jonas Yuan
thumbnail
Aaron Handford, modificado hace 15 años.

New Member Mensajes: 2 Fecha de incorporación: 14/01/09 Mensajes recientes
Thanks Jonas,

Can you tell me where to go for more information about the MIT license?
thumbnail
Jonas Yuan, modificado hace 15 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 993 Fecha de incorporación: 27/04/07 Mensajes recientes
Hi Aaron,

Here you may find info ....

http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/products/portal/licensing

Thanks

Jonas Yuan
thumbnail
Milan Jaroš, modificado hace 15 años.

Expert Mensajes: 268 Fecha de incorporación: 18/08/08 Mensajes recientes
Hello Aaron,
I was using Drupal and Joomla for about three years. But now I'm getting love with Liferay...
So If you want to build personal web with some static pages and gallery and forum etc. use Joomla. If you want to build something more like community web or journal web with about 20 users (with rights) use Drupal - so it is more customizable and flexible. And finally if you want to build huge portal (that is pretty good word ;) and you expect "more" users than liferay is solution for you.
Please forgive me my jerky english... ;) I'm little bit sleepy for now.
thumbnail
ilke Muhtaroglu, modificado hace 13 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 226 Fecha de incorporación: 12/05/09 Mensajes recientes
Hi all,

what I want to ask is, okey drupal and joomla had great community and they have great user interface, themes, web site design. But what about connection with java business logic layer.

I have to use java for business logic for certain engines, then as MVC pattern style: I have to connect the java class datas to PHP code (Drupal and Joomla) so that I can view them...

How can I do this. Is it possible to connect java and php in an easy manner ?

ilke
thumbnail
Corné Aussems, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1313 Fecha de incorporación: 3/10/06 Mensajes recientes
thumbnail
ilke Muhtaroglu, modificado hace 13 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 226 Fecha de incorporación: 12/05/09 Mensajes recientes
really good luck emoticon

I have seen the php-java bridge but from the engineering point of view. How can it be easy to apply a MVC pattern to use php as View and the Contoler in Java.

From the example code below, which I took from the php-java bridge web site, it is not easy to control the sessions as it is possible in JSF or Vaadin or Struts.

I think I need to understand MVC frameworks in PHP in order to apply PHP coding with java. Anyway anyone is welcome to discuss.

ilke

<!--?php
// get instance of Java class java.lang.System in PHP
$system = new Java('java.lang.System');

// demonstrate property access
echo 'Java version=' . $system--->getProperty('java.version') . '<br>';
echo 'Java vendor=' . $system-&gt;getProperty('java.vendor') . '<br>';
echo 'OS=' . $system-&gt;getProperty('os.name') . ' ' .
             $system-&gt;getProperty('os.version') . ' on ' .
             $system-&gt;getProperty('os.arch') . ' <br>';

// java.util.Date example
$formatter = new Java('java.text.SimpleDateFormat',
                      "EEEE, MMMM dd, yyyy 'at' h:mm:ss a zzzz");

echo $formatter-&gt;format(new Java('java.util.Date'));
?&gt;

thumbnail
Milan Jaroš, modificado hace 12 años.

Hi,
do you really have to?
I have to connect the java class datas to PHP code (Drupal and Joomla) so that I can view them...

I would try to avoid this as much as is possible. If you really have some solution and you would like "migrate", you still have a choice to ask: "Is there really too much data that I am not able to move it by copy/paste?" If yes, I would try to transfer that data using e.g. web services mechanism. And if you are building from the scratch and for some reason your customer want Drupal or Joomla, please try to explain him differences and convince him for long-term solution - Java and Liferay.

Milan
Alan Baltazar, modificado hace 12 años.

New Member Mensajes: 9 Fecha de incorporación: 15/08/11 Mensajes recientes
Milan Jaroš:
Hi,
do you really have to?
I have to connect the java class datas to PHP code (Drupal and Joomla) so that I can view them...

I would try to avoid this as much as is possible. If you really have some solution and you would like "migrate", you still have a choice to ask: "Is there really too much data that I am not able to move it by copy/paste?" If yes, I would try to transfer that data using e.g. web services mechanism. And if you are building from the scratch and for some reason your customer want Drupal or Joomla, please try to explain him differences and convince him for long-term solution - Java and Liferay.

Milan

Thanks for this information. I'm developing a web application for a school district ( 60K+ students plus 120K+ parents plus 8K employees) and debated between Liferay/Java or Drupal/Php . I'm seriously considering Liferay/Java .

Drupal does have a much larger number of 'modules' but I have problems with backward compatibility having experienced that some some drupal modules don't work with older versions of Drupal ... and I'm not going to spend more time waiting for a fix or even tweaking someone's code .Liferay has Java which has a much larger and richer set of Java API's than PHP (as far as I know) .

Anyway, I hate mixing one software language with another software language because there's a needed api and not too mention, re-learning the 'other' language ...one freakin language is enough!! (worked with C/C++/Java/Php and even some C#). Php is limited to web apps. C# is limited to Windows. C/C++ requires a lot of work recompiling to different operating systems ( trust me, it's a pain) . Java is it - GUI, Web, seamless integration of software components in different operating systems. Java isn't going anywhere since it's got the support of IBM and Oracle.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 14914 Fecha de incorporación: 2/09/06 Mensajes recientes
Alan Baltazar:
Java isn't going anywhere since it's got the support of IBM and Oracle.

We all still hope that's the case, but they've already alienated Apache and are pursuing Google for patent violations. They've been known to destroy products they've bought (in the name of rebranding). I think MySQL is their only open source success, but I think that is because they see it as some sort of natural stepping stone for the Oracle DB.

David H Nebinger:
Alan Baltazar:
Java isn't going anywhere since it's got the support of IBM and Oracle.

We all still hope that's the case, but they've already alienated Apache and are pursuing Google for patent violations. They've been known to destroy products they've bought (in the name of rebranding). I think MySQL is their only open source success, but I think that is because they see it as some sort of natural stepping stone for the Oracle DB.

Ah yes, such is the nature of this business. Thanks for the info. I've used Drupal 6 and as far as I know, it is limited to using MySQL (default) and Postgres databases. Hope Oracle doesn't "tweak" MySQL . I remember Oracle swallowing Powerbuilder back in the day .
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
Welcome aboard!! I think you've made a good decision. It's really not how many xxxx there is, but more of how much the software fits one's needs.

Hitoshi Ozawa:
Welcome aboard!! I think you've made a good decision. It's really not how many xxxx there is, but more of how much the software fits one's needs.

Thanks.
thumbnail
Milan Jaroš, modificado hace 12 años.

I hope you'll share with us your "success story"... emoticon

Milan Jaroš:
I hope you'll share with us your "success story"... emoticon

I certainly will