Foros de discusión

portal server and portlet container

thumbnail
Aryan sahu, modificado hace 11 años.

portal server and portlet container

Junior Member Mensajes: 73 Fecha de incorporación: 24/07/12 Mensajes recientes
i am having the tomcat bundle 6.1 i want to know which one is the portal server and which is the container.
As per my knowledge we have converted the tomcat server to a portal server and portlet container is a logical unit which manages the lifecycle of the portlets.The portlet container is present in portlet.jar .
Can we even distinguish between the two ??? please help i need to know the basic...
thumbnail
Subhash Pavuskar, modificado hace 11 años.

RE: portal server and portlet container

Regular Member Mensajes: 234 Fecha de incorporación: 13/03/12 Mensajes recientes
Hi Aryan ,
Portal in nothing but a web application. In simple words, a portal server is an application having a portal and its management capabilities. In traditional web application, we have a separate management section for managing the web application. Portal server provides the application as well as that management section. In other words, a portal server is an application deployed inside application server.Whereas, an application server is a system that provides the execution environment that is at the core of network computing or web-based architectures, providing a full set of services.
thumbnail
Aryan sahu, modificado hace 11 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 73 Fecha de incorporación: 24/07/12 Mensajes recientes
thank you.. .
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
Tomcat is a servlet container (i.e. supports servlet API)

http://www.liferay.com/products/liferay-portal/tech-specs

Portlet container is just a container for portlets conforming to JSR286 specification. portlet.jar and portal-service.jar are portlet container and service interface to using it.
ROOT folder in the webapps is just liferay's GUI implementation to manage the portlet container and default set portlets.