Foros de discusión

Wiki "children pages"

Boden Larson, modificado hace 15 años.

Wiki "children pages"

Regular Member Mensajes: 200 Fecha de incorporación: 10/07/08 Mensajes recientes
What is the purpose of "child pages" in the Wiki? If I add a child page then the parent gets this big uneditable "Children Pages" list. I'm not sure why I'd want to use a child page instead of just creating a page using markup.

RE: Wiki "children pages"

Regular Member Mensajes: 200 Fecha de incorporación: 10/07/08 Mensajes recientes
Hi, my name is Boden, and I enjoy romantic movies, long walks on the beach, and answers to seemingly simple questions emoticon

Anyone?
thumbnail
steve rieger, modificado hace 15 años.

Re: [Liferay Forums][2. Using Liferay] RE: Wiki "children pages"

Expert Mensajes: 436 Fecha de incorporación: 11/09/06 Mensajes recientes
Hi boden,
i dont....
thumbnail
Amos Fong, modificado hace 15 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2047 Fecha de incorporación: 7/10/08 Mensajes recientes
Boden Larson:
Hi, my name is Boden, and I enjoy romantic movies, long walks on the beach, and answers to seemingly simple questions emoticon

Anyone?

Maybe if you upload a pretty picture of yourself, you'd get more takers...

I guess it helps keep wiki a little more organized?

Hehe. emoticon

But how does it help the wiki get more organized? Is there some kind of automatic map or something that the wiki can show in which children pages somehow make the structure better? Is it a permissions thing? Do children inherit permissions? Did I just answer my own question?
Mau COMBE, modificado hace 13 años.

New Member Mensajes: 16 Fecha de incorporación: 10/03/11 Mensajes recientes
Hi guies, firstly, sorry for my english...

I need to chande the default "children pages" name to "my_own_children_pages_name", i.e. in the case where the translation in another language was wrong...

I find that i can change the "FontPage" name by adding this line in the portal properties file

wiki.front.page.name=My_Own_Name 

and for "children pages" please ?

thanks in advance, and sorry for my english once again...
thumbnail
Hamish Campbell, modificado hace 13 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 87 Fecha de incorporación: 20/08/08 Mensajes recientes
I am confused about this as well, anyone?
Mindy Dixon, modificado hace 13 años.

New Member Mensajes: 11 Fecha de incorporación: 13/01/11 Mensajes recientes
I am also looking for a way to change the name of a child page -- can it be done? We set some up and now the 'names' don't really fit with the wiki's purpose.
Steve Revill, modificado hace 12 años.

New Member Mensajes: 16 Fecha de incorporación: 15/07/10 Mensajes recientes
It seems to me that there are several different questions here:

1. What's the point of the Children Pages?
2. How do I rename a child page?
3. How can I change the title for this list?
4. Can I just get rid of/hide this section of the wiki page?

I'm by no means an expert but these are my answers...

1. A child page appears below its parent in the breadcrumb trail, whereas simply creating a new page by clicking on a link to a page that doesn't exist yet creates that page without any parent - so the breadcrumb trail simply shows the new page as being at the top level of the wiki. This is stupid; the new page should automatically be a child of the page from which its creation was invoked.

2. You just go to the page, click on the "Details" link near the top, click on the "Move" link near the bottom and then do the "Rename" from there. I have a couple of observations about this:

* It's a pain in the rear that you have to click so much for something so simple - changing the parent is even more of a pain. Why?
* This often leads to the wiki getting itself into a mess (e.g. renaming a page with a slash in the name ends up with pages when you click on a link to them it says the page isn't found, and you can't rename it back!). This might be related to this bug
* Changing a parent for a page is dangerous because later you might delete the (now unused) parent and find that because of a bug all of the pages that were once its children still get deleted!! I lost about 20-odd pages because of this the other day. This bug seems to be the one but it says it's closed and I hit this on Liferay 6.0.6

3. I have no idea how you can do this.

4. This is what I really want. The "Children Pages" list is a pointless blight; it just confuses people, especially when you have a carefully arranged list of links to the child pages on your page and then this massive "CHILDREN PAGES" list in a BIG FONT sat at the bottom in some meaningless order. Argh!!
thumbnail
Hamish Campbell, modificado hace 12 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 87 Fecha de incorporación: 20/08/08 Mensajes recientes
Yep anyone got a hook to remove the child page option from the wiki - it is very confusing on the sites we are running.
C Fraser, modificado hace 11 años.

New Member Mensajes: 14 Fecha de incorporación: 16/05/11 Mensajes recientes
An old thread... but I found it looking to make sense of child pages, and trying to get some structure and navigation to my Wiki (and not having much luck either)...

But... I solved the hiding and showing of the child pages section using css... so thought I would add this to the this aging post... you can do it in the css stylesheets of a template or quickly do it in the Look and Feel - Advanced Styling section or the portlet... eg...

/* Hide some areas we don't want shown */
.child-pages, .article-actions {
display: none;
}

or use the 'Add a css rule...' option to better target the css to the particular portlet... also note, you may not want to hide the article-actions area...

Now... back to looking for better ways of structuring the wiki... have things like an overall table of contents or next previous links would be good... if anyone knows how to do that, I would be happy to know.

Thanks.