Foros de discusión

Improvements for forum

thumbnail
Roman Hoyenko, modificado hace 16 años.

Improvements for forum

Liferay Master Mensajes: 878 Fecha de incorporación: 8/10/07 Mensajes recientes
I have a couple of things I want to improve about the forum, one is minor, but I think it will help a lot with repetitive questions:

1. Create sticky FAQ topic where all the frequently asked questions will be answered. It could be just a link to a topic with the problem where it is resolved or wiki link or a solution, if it is short.

2. This would probably require code change. Now that we have categories it is hard to see if there are new posts - you need to go through all the categories. Can you do something like phpBB has - "Find new messages", "Find messages without answers". It would also be nice if you can make the category bold if there are topics that you didn't read (as it is with the topics). It would also be useful to have a link to mark all topics in a category as read.
Trollbahrt Wunderlich, modificado hace 16 años.

RE: Improvements for forum

Junior Member Mensajes: 70 Fecha de incorporación: 11/06/07 Mensajes recientes
Hey Roman,

yes, I agree with you! This would help a lot emoticon

For FAQ I would prefer the wiki solution. First-hand a FAQ within a Forum results often in a bit chaotic structure ...

Greetings
Troll
thumbnail

Just saw "Recent posts" tab emoticon So, one thing off the list.
thumbnail

Liferay guys / forum admins, any comments on this? Is someone looking at those posts at all?

I spend a lot of time answering questions here and trying to build a community. It would be helpful if someone took notice and did some improvements I am asking for or at least told me why you don't want to do that.

It is very easy to create a sticky topic in a category, and I believe it would help with a lot of beginner questions.
thumbnail
Michael Young, modificado hace 16 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 846 Fecha de incorporación: 5/08/04 Mensajes recientes
Hey Roman,

There's already a FAQ in the wiki, is that what you're talking about? If not, can you clarify?

Also, Roman, we're working on some things that will make your community building efforts more effective. We definitely don't want everything you and other put in to this forum to go unnoticed. You've already seen some of this with our own blogging, but the first step is opening a section of our website to community liferay blogs.
thumbnail

No, I was talking about sticky post in the forum, on top of each category. I can create the topics myself, somebody just needs to make them stay on top, like this topic, for example:

http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/forums/message_boards/message/173966

I think it is also possible to make the first post to be editable by all, it can include the mini-tutorial (where to find information for portlet development, for example, how to ask questions better, etc). The topic will be updated with links to frequent questions.
thumbnail

I created an example here:

http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/forums/message_boards/message/273167

by the way, one of the URLs there has
:P 
in it and it is breaking the url.

This is funny, you need to see the source code to see what I am talking about. It has : P combination which is being interpreted as a smile. I thing the text inside [c_ode] or [u_rl] should not be interpreted for smiles.
thumbnail

I understand now. If you can point me to specific topics, I can make them sticky for you. I trust you know what might be a FAQ since you're on our forums so much.
thumbnail
Shivani Chandna, modificado hace 16 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 54 Fecha de incorporación: 17/07/07 Mensajes recientes
Forum Search result - should have a column for number of replies in the given thread and an option (or flag) to mark the question as sucessfully answered (The way expert-exchange site works) - by the person posting the question.

These two columns would enable the searcher to find the answer to his question quickly from the archives - otherwise one has to go through each post to know if it was correctly answered.

emoticon
Shivani.
thumbnail

That's a good idea. Shouldn't be too hard for us to implement. We'll add it to a list of forum improvements that we're building.
Thijs Vonk, modificado hace 16 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 31 Fecha de incorporación: 9/09/07 Mensajes recientes
Another improvement, recent posts for each categories. When I want to see the recent posts I see a lot of posts in languages I can't read. So if the recent posts would only show for the category you are in at that moment (for example for category (and sub categories) 'Liferay' It would be a lot easier.