Foros de discusión

lcepatchers.org...

thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado hace 10 años.

lcepatchers.org...

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 14915 Fecha de incorporación: 2/09/06 Mensajes recientes
Gotta love lcepatchers.org, I certainly do.

Rather than pointing folks at GA2, I would point them at lcepatchers.org as a better CE implementation.

With GA3 now available and 6.2 coming out soon, I was wondering what will happen with lcepatchers.org:

Is it less like GA2 + patches, and more like 6.1 + patches, so lcepatchers.org is now GA3+patches?

When 6.2 is out, will there be a 6.1 + patches and a 6.2 + patches, or will it change over to 6.2 and forget about 6.1? If the latter, will the latest 6.1+patches remain around for download?

Just wondering...
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, modificado hace 10 años.

RE: lcepatchers.org...

Liferay Master Mensajes: 978 Fecha de incorporación: 3/01/10 Mensajes recientes
is it ice or lce

pretty cool there are so many people out there into Liferay for CE or EE ; we depend on it

but David ; shouldn't you be posting your question to lcepatchers community ?
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 14915 Fecha de incorporación: 2/09/06 Mensajes recientes
Eh, you're probably right about where to post, but I happen to know that Juan is now part of Liferay and it is still his baby, so I'm betting I will get an answer here, too. Besides, lcepatchers.org is something the folks here on the forum should know about, not just what the lcepatchers themselves are planning on doing...

Anyway it's a shortening of Liferay CE Patchers, or lcepatchers.org.
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, modificado hace 10 años.

gotcha, good to be aware
thumbnail
Wieteke den Uijl, modificado hace 10 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 56 Fecha de incorporación: 19/04/11 Mensajes recientes
David is correct it is LCEpatchers.org - but we noticed the confusion if spelled in non-capitals right away so we registered ICEpatchers.org as well and redirected it there emoticon
However, icepatchers is catchier than LCEpatchers, so we tend to say icepatchers anyway emoticon
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez, modificado hace 10 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 3089 Fecha de incorporación: 28/10/08 Mensajes recientes
David H Nebinger:
Eh, you're probably right about where to post, but I happen to know that Juan is now part of Liferay and it is still his baby, so I'm betting I will get an answer here, too. Besides, lcepatchers.org is something the folks here on the forum should know about, not just what the lcepatchers themselves are planning on doing...

Anyway it's a shortening of Liferay CE Patchers, or lcepatchers.org.

Hi David,

haha, yes, seems it's still "my baby" after seeing all that commits. I would prefer that much more people are contributing though.

That said, I think the lcepatchers was great for filling the "gaps" and important bugs in 6.1.1 release. After the 6.1.2 GA3 release (whichs solves all that issues) perhaps that doesn't make sense at the moment. If some critical issues arises for that version it would be a good reason to add the new branches again.

Unfortunately I didn't have time this year for keep contributing (was busy studying for some Oracle certitications and some other personal projects), and guess will be very difficult to keep doing so, but as said before, the new versions doesn't need all that contribution.
thumbnail

Juan Gonzalez:
That said, I think the lcepatchers was great for filling the "gaps" and important bugs in 6.1.1 release. After the 6.1.2 GA3 release (whichs solves all that issues) perhaps that doesn't make sense at the moment. If some critical issues arises for that version it would be a good reason to add the new branches again.

Except that patches come out even for the older versions that are not released. I think 6.0.6, which was the latest release in the 6.0 line, has patches floating around in Jira and would be better off with a 6.0.6+ release...

It's a tough nut to crack - Liferay has their own ideas about releases and sometimes that may or may not align with upgrade practices outside of Liferay...

Personally I point newbies at the LCEpatchers release because many of the problems they come to the forums w/ have already been resolved in Jira and fixed in LCEpatchers, but not fixed in the latest available release.

I see it as a valuable community resources, and I'm hoping many others feel as I do on it...
thumbnail
Ivano Carrara, modificado hace 9 años.

Expert Mensajes: 345 Fecha de incorporación: 3/07/05 Mensajes recientes
Hi all,

Someone can tell me if the https://www.lcepatchers.org site is still operating ?

Thank you in advance for any comments

Ivano C.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado hace 9 años.

was the last time I checked, but that was awhile ago. I just tried to hit it and it fails...

If so, that's a loss to the community, imho.
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, modificado hace 9 años.

I just hit https://www.icepatchers.org and it is there, sorta
thumbnail
Wieteke den Uijl, modificado hace 10 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 56 Fecha de incorporación: 19/04/11 Mensajes recientes
Hi David,

Good to hear you like the PCE!
Past couple of weeks we have been working on improving lcepatchers.org's release procedure. Until a few weeks ago it was quite impossible to pinpoint which version you used and whether or not fixes were included, since every build had the same name and you needed to know when you downloaded it. We changed that, so every build has the date included and you can now also see in the control panel of your Liferay install as well which version it is.

Next on the planning is to branch 6.1 GA3 and have the same procedure there and do the same for 6.2 GA1 when it is released. Our intention is to keep not only the most recent CE version actively patched, but older versions as well. How many patches will be applied depends on the community though. Everyone is allowed to apply patches and do pull requests so I guess it all about the needs of the people using these versions.
gordon daniels, modificado hace 9 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 797 Fecha de incorporación: 24/08/08 Mensajes recientes
What happened to lcepatchers.org? Has this been disolved?
thumbnail

I just got in using https://www.icepatchers.org/web/guest.

Juan started it before he became LR staff. I think now it might be some sort of conflict of interest for him or something, although no one has said as much. It hasn't received much love lately though...
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez, modificado hace 9 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 3089 Fecha de incorporación: 28/10/08 Mensajes recientes
David H Nebinger:
I just got in using https://www.icepatchers.org/web/guest.

Juan started it before he became LR staff. I think now it might be some sort of conflict of interest for him or something, although no one has said as much. It hasn't received much love lately though...

David, the saddest thing here is that nobody took my task for contributing on lcepatchers. And I bet there are more people doing that for theirselves.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 797 Fecha de incorporación: 24/08/08 Mensajes recientes
David: thanks for the link. It worked for me also.

Juan: Surely there is someone out there that could take this project over! Please, before abandoning it, lets figure out how to make it work. Also, even though I said it many times - I really appreciated your efforts and the others who helped you.

thanks
thumbnail

Juan has tried to get someone to take over, but no one stepped up.

I would guess that the perceived amount of work necessary to identify patches, apply to the source, etc. seems like it would take a lot of time. Whether it actually does take that time or whether it is just perception, well that remains to be seen.

Juan: Is there a guide or tutorial that gives steps on how to apply patches and build a bundle? I would like to learn so possibliy I could help with this effort in future. Also, have you posted and solicited for someone to take over?

thanks
thumbnail
Ivano Carrara, modificado hace 9 años.

Expert Mensajes: 345 Fecha de incorporación: 3/07/05 Mensajes recientes
gordon daniels:
Juan: Is there a guide or tutorial that gives steps on how to apply patches and build a bundle? I would like to learn so possibliy I could help with this effort in future. Also, have you posted and solicited for someone to take over?

thanks

Me too I'm hoping that Juan give us a one more effort producing a quick guide or tutorial that gives steps on how to apply patches and build a bundle

Thank you in advance !
Ivano C.
thumbnail

The process itself is pretty straight forward...

You check out the source from git. All patches coming in will be tied to a git ID. So you find the git checkin, pull it from git, apply it to the source and build.

The problem is often that the changes in git are cumulative, so in order to apply one patch you may either need to apply a previous patch (or patches) or manually apply the code changes in the appropriate places.

You have to be selective about the patches that you apply because some of the stuff in git is for 7.0, etc. You also want to stick with just patches and not try to pull in new features as that is a super-size can of worms that, once you take to top off, you'll never be able to get the lid back on it.
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez, modificado hace 9 años.

David H Nebinger:

You check out the source from git. All patches coming in will be tied to a git ID. So you find the git checkin, pull it from git, apply it to the source and build.

Exactly. Git is much easier for doing these tasks that any other previous tool.

David H Nebinger:

The problem is often that the changes in git are cumulative, so in order to apply one patch you may either need to apply a previous patch (or patches) or manually apply the code changes in the appropriate places.

This is one of the most dangerous things, because people usually would merge everything, but sometimes those merges causes other issues.

David H Nebinger:

You have to be selective about the patches that you apply because some of the stuff in git is for 7.0, etc. You also want to stick with just patches and not try to pull in new features as that is a super-size can of worms that, once you take to top off, you'll never be able to get the lid back on it.

Exactly.

Based on my experience, you have to maintain your commits. And this is a daily work so you don't merge dangerous code for your branch.

Juan: thanks for the reply
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, modificado hace 9 años.

Trying to catch up on backporting from masterful git to CE seems an increasingly large task yet those who try must be learning bundles (puns intended). The argument for EE is clear in my mind. Yet, it took a while for me to make that business case for Canadian customers (my fault really). I can imagine how much more difficult it is for those in many countries around the world to make the business case for EE to their customers.

David: thanks - got it.