Foros de discusión

Backup Social Office

Rodrigo Madruga, modificado hace 14 años.

Backup Social Office

New Member Mensajes: 2 Fecha de incorporación: 28/04/09 Mensajes recientes
Hello Social Officers!

First of all, many thanks for this awesome piece of software! We are using the 1.5b version here at our company and we are very happy about it!

Now that we are using it for real, some questions appeared. I have searched through Liferay site and did not find useful info...

- How can we backup all the documents in document library? Just copying "data" directory is enough?

I have to answer this question from my IT Director: "If something goes wrong it Social Office, can we get back all the documents stored there?"

I know the wikis, blog entries, etc are stored in database (MS-SQL in our case) so a simple backup script does the job. But what about the documents?

Thanks in advance!!

Rodrigo Madruga
thumbnail
Bryan Cheung, modificado hace 14 años.

RE: Backup Social Office

Expert Mensajes: 373 Fecha de incorporación: 27/08/04 Mensajes recientes
Hi Rodrigo,

Welcome to Social Office!

Regarding the documents they can certainly be retrieved. SO can be configured to save documents to the DB or to the file system. So in the case of the DB configuration you'd just back up the relevant DB; for file system, you'd just have to grab the files from the file system.

Here's an explanation from a Liferay engineer on what factors you might consider to choose one configuration or the other:

Jackrabbit + shared DB is *not* the fastest configuration; some sort of access to the filesystem is fastest. You can use the example of accessing a very large doc or image in the filesystem vs. a BLOB. DB access will simply be slower. That's why the default config, even though the record and meta data are in the DB, it still points to the filesystem to access the actual document. The fastest configuration will be a storage area network (SAN). Simply configuring the jackrabbit repository to an NFS mount and a conventional filesystem will still not be fastest; it must point to a SAN. But not everyone has a SAN, so you may need to use a conventional filesystem instead.