Foros de discusión

3-layered portal architecture

Michał Cieszyński, modificado hace 9 años.

3-layered portal architecture

New Member Mensajes: 3 Fecha de incorporación: 7/10/14 Mensajes recientes
I've been wondering how could I provide 3 layered architecture for liferay portal itself.
Every information I have found so far was quite ambigeous and didn't directly approach that subject. Is it even possible?

Following the wiki page: "The enterprise release uses Session EJBs which allows the deployer to separate the Web server, EJB server, and database server to achieve clustering at three levels.[...]".
Or is it only an information concerning the portlets?
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modificado hace 9 años.

RE: 3-layered portal architecture

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 6403 Fecha de incorporación: 23/09/08 Mensajes recientes
Well, of course it's possible. You don't give any link to the Wiki page you're referring to. If it's in the Liferay Wiki, I fear that it might be outdated. Liferay 4 was the last major version that used EJB internally. You can still use EJB or any other architecture you'd like. In fact, I consider the portal/portlet layer the UI of a multi-layer application. Liferay doesn't limit you at all in what kind of business layer you connect to it.

You might find several suggestions for architecture/layering, but it's totally up to you to choose one or the other. Or to determine the way you want to bring your business layer into the portlet world - EJB, ESB, REST, SOAP, SQL. Or, in short, any TLA* or ETLA* you choose is sufficient and possible.

(* TLA = Three Letter Acronym, ETLA = Extended Three Letter Acronym)
Michał Cieszyński, modificado hace 9 años.

RE: 3-layered portal architecture

New Member Mensajes: 3 Fecha de incorporación: 7/10/14 Mensajes recientes
Olaf Kock:
Well, of course it's possible. You don't give any link to the Wiki page you're referring to. If it's in the Liferay Wiki, I fear that it might be outdated. Liferay 4 was the last major version that used EJB internally. You can still use EJB or any other architecture you'd like. In fact, I consider the portal/portlet layer the UI of a multi-layer application. Liferay doesn't limit you at all in what kind of business layer you connect to it.

You might find several suggestions for architecture/layering, but it's totally up to you to choose one or the other. Or to determine the way you want to bring your business layer into the portlet world - EJB, ESB, REST, SOAP, SQL. Or, in short, any TLA* or ETLA* you choose is sufficient and possible.
(* TLA = Three Letter Acronym, ETLA = Extended Three Letter Acronym)

By your words I conclude that you have somewhat misinterpreted my question.

I'm well aware, that Liferay allows inclusion of such connections for portlets.
What I was asking about, was remote connection for the Liferay's Portal configuration, that usually requires direct jdbc connection or shared datasources from application platform used for its deployment.

I would like to set up database with Weblogic-managed datasources and setup Liferay Portal on separate Tomcat, for it to use weblogic's connection via EJB, instead of direct jdbc connection.