Foros de discusión

Database character set for Social Office

Sumalatha Nelluri, modificado hace 9 años.

Database character set for Social Office

Junior Member Mensajes: 31 Fecha de incorporación: 30/01/13 Mensajes recientes
Hi,
As per Social Office documentation, database charset should be utf8 in order to display user bar properly.
My Liferay database charset is latin1 and i would like to install Social Office upon it, is it possible?

Thanks
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modificado hace 9 años.

RE: Database character set for Social Office

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 6396 Fecha de incorporación: 23/09/08 Mensajes recientes
I'd expect you to run into problems with this on Liferay as well. Typically - to avoid encoding problems - it's easiest to go with UTF-8 from top to bottom. That's not to say that it wouldn't work with latin-1 (if done correctly). Just if something goes wrong, encoding problems are a beast to fix - especially if they apply to data that has already been persistet.. They are so much of a beast that I'd rather recommend to repeat the setup rather than to fix it. Naturally there are limits, but these limits are high and always painful.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado hace 9 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 14914 Fecha de incorporación: 2/09/06 Mensajes recientes
I think whether you run into problems will be based upon the languages that you support. For example, if you were "english-only" then latin-1 should work fine, either for the portal and/or social office.

The problem comes in when you are supporting multiple languages especially those that require UTF-8 for the correct output.
Sumalatha Nelluri, modificado hace 9 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 31 Fecha de incorporación: 30/01/13 Mensajes recientes
Thanks for the quick response.
I have used only English language.
I am trying to restore database and install social office on it and i hope that it will not give any issues emoticon
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado hace 9 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 14914 Fecha de incorporación: 2/09/06 Mensajes recientes
I think typically best practice is to use UTF8; even though today you may only need english, by using UTF8 you are prepared for changes tomorrow (and it doesn't hurt to use UTF8 in the mean time).
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modificado hace 9 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 6396 Fecha de incorporación: 23/09/08 Mensajes recientes
Even if your content is purely english - you might end up with non-ASCII names of your users. It doesn't need to go as far as asian characters, even a french é - which is very similar to ASCII - can trigger problems.

I'd recommend to do the change rather early than later - e.g. as soon as possible - if you're intending to continue to use this installation. The later you fix the platform's encoding, the more work it will be identifying all of the issues.