Foros de discusión

New Forum Layout

thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 12 años.

New Forum Layout

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
The new forum layout seems nice except the title can not be modified any more. It's now more difficult to distinguish threads that has already been resolved from those that aren't. Or I am just missing some feature to mark threads "resolved"?
thumbnail

RE: New Forum Layout

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
I've found that title can be edited after publishing the message once and then editing it. This is too troublesome.
thumbnail
Corné Aussems, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1313 Fecha de incorporación: 3/10/06 Mensajes recientes
Maybe it is my old age but readability did not improve in Chrome.

Furthermore we lost the different views (tree/flat) and the ability to add files/images.

Autosubscibe i like though.
fastbob fastbob, modificado hace 12 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 221 Fecha de incorporación: 16/05/05 Mensajes recientes
Also lost the ability to preview a posting before publishing. I use this to make sure things look correct, as well as keeping my connection active while thinking.
thumbnail

fastbob fastbob:
Also lost the ability to preview a posting before publishing. I use this to make sure things look correct, as well as keeping my connection active while thinking.

It's there if you select "Reply with Quotes".

FYI: Attachement is also only available with "Reply with Quotes".

Archivos adjuntos:

fastbob fastbob, modificado hace 12 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 221 Fecha de incorporación: 16/05/05 Mensajes recientes
Okay, so not only is the Review button missing if you hit Reply (not Reply with Quote), the interface is inconsistent. I don't see a particular reason why the set of buttons should be different between Reply and Reply with Quote.,
thumbnail

fastbob fastbob:
Okay, so not only is the Review button missing if you hit Reply (not Reply with Quote), the interface is inconsistent. I don't see a particular reason why the set of buttons should be different between Reply and Reply with Quote.,

They changed "Reply" to mean "Quick Reply" - just to reply in a very short sentence. They probably assume that since it's just a short sentence, there's no need to preview it.

Additional note is when creating a new thread, it's using "Reply" so I'm getting the preview.

I agree with you in that this change is very inconvenient especially when I want to attach an image. What I used to do was just quote some phrases from the original post. Now, I'm getting the entire content and I have to delete them and then again cut and paste and quote parts of the original post that I want to reply to.

Well, developers will now be able to actually use it themselves in a production environment. I hope the next release will reflect on lessons learned from this. emoticon
thumbnail
James Falkner, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1399 Fecha de incorporación: 17/09/10 Mensajes recientes
Hitoshi Ozawa:
fastbob fastbob:

They changed "Reply" to mean "Quick Reply" - just to reply in a very short sentence. They probably assume that since it's just a short sentence, there's no need to preview it.

Additional note is when creating a new thread, it's using "Reply" so I'm getting the preview.

I agree with you in that this change is very inconvenient especially when I want to attach an image. What I used to do was just quote some phrases from the original post. Now, I'm getting the entire content and I have to delete them and then again cut and paste and quote parts of the original post that I want to reply to.

Well, developers will now be able to actually use it themselves in a production environment. I hope the next release will reflect on lessons learned from this. emoticon

Hitoshi, could you create a list of usability issues you and others have found? I can help communicate to the right people (or just fix the issue!).
thumbnail
Jakub B, modificado hace 12 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 82 Fecha de incorporación: 12/08/09 Mensajes recientes
What happeneded to this place? I don't check in 1 week... I comp back and it looks like the background is a GRID test for something like 960.gs (honestly the background is terrible and makes everything look so busy.

The Forum layout is confusing and the 'light blue' background does not help visibility. I am having a hard time going through things here. Did nobody test this stuff before release of new layout?
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1399 Fecha de incorporación: 17/09/10 Mensajes recientes
Jakub B:
What happeneded to this place? I don't check in 1 week... I comp back and it looks like the background is a GRID test for something like 960.gs (honestly the background is terrible and makes everything look so busy.

The Forum layout is confusing and the 'light blue' background does not help visibility. I am having a hard time going through things here. Did nobody test this stuff before release of new layout?

You should not see the grid. Couple of other people have reported this as well. We're working onit.. My suggestion (without knowing what the problem is): clear cookies. I don't see any grid background (though I did see it during the website test the last month - it's only supposed to be there for debugging and should not be showing up for regular usage).
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1313 Fecha de incorporación: 3/10/06 Mensajes recientes
Chrome is worst with grid
IE has also the grid
only Firefox looks well
thumbnail

Corné Aussems:
IE has also the grid
only Firefox looks well

Yep, there are a couple of issues we're working on w/r/t Chrome. For example image attachments on the Forums don't display on Chrome but work fine with other browsers. Expect a fix very soon!
thumbnail

Corné Aussems:
IE has also the grid
only Firefox looks well

And I thought it was just a new design. emoticon
thumbnail
Brian Chan, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 753 Fecha de incorporación: 5/08/04 Mensajes recientes
Grid is fixed. Bad leftover CSS that we used for testing.

Message URLs are fixed as well, url parser had a typo. So old links from Google will work.
thumbnail
Jonathan Neal, modificado hace 12 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 66 Fecha de incorporación: 29/08/07 Mensajes recientes
Brian Chan:
Grid is fixed. Bad leftover CSS that we used for testing.

It was good CSS, but it needed to be removed for the time being. The gridding should only show up for users with page editing permissions. Our entire site is built to look pixel perfect, and the gridding helps like braces. The CSS was as follows

body.controls-visible .grid {
	background: url(../images/custom/960_grid_12_col.png);
}

Controls visible has been triggering for users without permissions, but we're working on the underlying issue right now. We removed the CSS for now to avoid the side-effects. It should be fixed very soon.
thumbnail

I happy to confirm that the grid has moved from either IE7 as Chrome.
Also the proportional Font size works again in Chrome.
Thanks for the swift solution guys.
thumbnail

I use the Recent Post and any other thread list to find people looking for help.

When browsing this it helps me to see who has posted the last reply in order to determine if i can help.

Could we reintroduce this feature again?
thumbnail

Corné Aussems:
I use the Recent Post and any other thread list to find people looking for help.

When browsing this it helps me to see who has posted the last reply in order to determine if i can help.

Could we reintroduce this feature again?

Which feature are you referring to? "Recent Posts" is still there, as is the general message category.
thumbnail

James Falkner:
Which feature are you referring to? "Recent Posts" is still there, as is the general message category.

Sorry i a have not been clear;
Whom has posted the last.
See example from Google cache emoticon

UPDATE: wrong image

Archivos adjuntos:

thumbnail

Corné Aussems:
James Falkner:

Sorry i a have not been clear;
Whom has posted the last.
See example from Google cache emoticon

UPDATE: wrong image

Ah, I understand now. Yeah that looks like a bug. I'll file an issue and hopefully get it resolved.
thumbnail

James Falkner:
Hitoshi, could you create a list of usability issues you and others have found? I can help communicate to the right people (or just fix the issue!).

I'm really not testing this - I'm just trying to use it as I've been using for the past several months. Will post what I find in this forum as I find them.
thumbnail

Hitoshi Ozawa:
I'm really not testing this

No need to be modest. Thanks for checking. If you really aren't testing and use Liferay dot com every day in Chrome, Firefox, and IE6, then I would love to know how and why. When I test IE6 natively, I have to load a VM of XP (because I can't always trust IETester).
thumbnail

Jonathan Neal:
Hitoshi Ozawa:
I'm really not testing this

No need to be modest. Thanks for checking. If you really aren't testing and use Liferay dot com every day in Chrome, Firefox, and IE6, then I would love to know how and why. When I test IE6 natively, I have to load a VM of XP (because I can't always trust IETester).

The standard web browser at work was IE6 that why I use that. I'm involved with several projects so I keep several different environments. Different projects work better with certain browsers. FYI, I installed Chrome because it was the most stable web browser for Liferay 6.x. - I think somebody in the forum recommended it. I won't have test 3 browsers if IE6 or Chrome worked. emoticon

FYI, the company I work for has 3 data centers - that 3 data centers that houses mainframes.
If I were really going to test this, it just won't be 3 browsers - I would also test different version and service packs on different OS's.

I know that you'll be able to fix these. You guys are the best. emoticon
thumbnail
Jakub B, modificado hace 12 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 82 Fecha de incorporación: 12/08/09 Mensajes recientes
For the record, when I posted in this thread yesterday, I was viewing the site via
  • IE8
  • Firefox 4

... and I got the grid for both. Today it is fixed so I don't see it. It was funny because yesterday I thought "whoops someone goofed up! thats a 12 col grid" and my coworkers were all saying "nah you're wrong, thats a background, it doesn't look bad" but as the day wore on, and we visited the site a bit more, we got annoyed by the checkered background emoticon
thumbnail

my coworkers were all saying "nah you're wrong, thats a background, it doesn't look bad"

I was on the same thinking as your coworkers. Never passed my mind that it was a mistake. emoticon
thumbnail

Hitoshi Ozawa:
The standard web browser at work was IE6

Ouch. August 27, 2011 will be the 10th anniversary of IE6. Our last website and the current one are not supported in IE6. They may happen to work, but I did not even tempt myself to load up a VM for that. As far as I know, Liferay Portal the product still supports IE6, but I saw no reason to downgrade the experience of a website for the old fella.
thumbnail

did not even tempt myself to load up a VM for that. As far as I know

We're still on XP. Didn't like the Vista and we're planning to upgrade to 7 but taking a little time testing all applications and data to make sure everything will work properly.
thumbnail
Amos Fong, modificado hace 12 años.

Back to the original question (Respuesta)

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2047 Fecha de incorporación: 7/10/08 Mensajes recientes
Hi guys,

The reply button has returned where you can change the title in replies. Happy title changing emoticon
thumbnail

[RESOLVED]: Back to the original question

The reply button has returned where you can change the title in replies. Happy title changing

Thanks!. Changing this to resolved. emoticon
thumbnail

Corné Aussems:
Maybe it is my old age but readability did not improve in Chrome.

You're right. I can't use Chrome to reply to messages! This is just terrible.
"Reply with Quote" doesn't insert the text either.

IE6 doesn't work either. I'm getting blank pages. I've seen some sites where layout doesn't come out correctly with IE6, but I think this is the first site where IE6 is completely useless.
thumbnail

Hitoshi Ozawa:
The new forum layout seems nice except the title can not be modified any more. It's now more difficult to distinguish threads that has already been resolved from those that aren't. Or I am just missing some feature to mark threads "resolved"?

"Resolved" threads are no longer in bold font. That's how I distinguish at least...