Foros de discusión

New Forum Layout - Title in thread listing

thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 12 años.

New Forum Layout - Title in thread listing

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
Title is the thread listing is showing the initial thread title instead of the last. Therefore, even if the thread marked [RESOLVED] in the title, it is not showing up in the thread listing.
thumbnail
Diana Jao, modificado hace 12 años.

RE: New Forum Layout - Title in thread listing

New Member Mensajes: 8 Fecha de incorporación: 15/02/11 Mensajes recientes
Is this something you are still experiencing?
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
Is this something you are still experiencing?

Yes. See image below.

Please first check if this is an intended change in specification.
Some users were posting a new questions in other's thread. This may have been changed to prevent that.
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1519 Fecha de incorporación: 7/08/06 Mensajes recientes
The [RESOLVED] is in your reply and not on the root post of the thread thus different titles.
thumbnail

The [RESOLVED] is in your reply and not on the root post of the thread thus different titles. ..

Yes, I know. It used to show the title of the last reply in the thread listings instead of the root title. Now, I have to open the threads to find if it has been resolved or not.

Marking every new thread as a Question and having the original person who posted the message check the thread has been resolved is the best way. Unfortunately, most people has not done this.
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1519 Fecha de incorporación: 7/08/06 Mensajes recientes
Ah. I didn't know that. Still learning after 6+ years. emoticon
thumbnail
Amos Fong, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2047 Fecha de incorporación: 7/10/08 Mensajes recientes
Hi Hitoshi,

I just checked 5.2.x and it always displayed the title of the root title. This would make more sense too because every thread in the thread listing would start with "RE:" if that was true...
thumbnail

Amos, I'm talking about THIS forrum. Not about the community nor enterprise download versions. I think before the update, it used to display the title of the last post in the thread.
It's very difficult to find if the thread has been resolved or not because people are not marking questions as questions, people are not marking resolved question as answered.
thumbnail
Amos Fong, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2047 Fecha de incorporación: 7/10/08 Mensajes recientes
Sorry, yes I meant this forum (which was running in 5.2.x prior to the update).

I think the plan is to make new threads "marked as questions" by default to make threads easier to navigate.
thumbnail
Corné Aussems, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1313 Fecha de incorporación: 3/10/06 Mensajes recientes
I vote for the default questions?
But this whole setup fails when askers do not or forget to mark their topic as answered.

Furthermore i think that it would be helpful to (at least the first times someone posts) show some basic rules and maybe a link to the Forum Guidelines (which could become a wiki page)
thumbnail

But this whole setup fails when askers do not or forget to mark their topic as answered.

Furthermore i think that it would be helpful to (at least the first times someone posts) show some basic rules and maybe a link to the Forum Guidelines (which could become a wiki page) ..

Seems I was mistaken about the title.
Making Question a default then is OK with me. Some people have a misconception that this is a free support service. From their questions, they really aren't trying to answer their own question before hand nor searching as is written in the Forum Guidelines.
They think all their questions should be answered quickly, but they aren't really helping any body with other's questions. It may be because of cultural differences. emoticon
thumbnail
James Falkner, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1399 Fecha de incorporación: 17/09/10 Mensajes recientes
Hitoshi Ozawa:

Furthermore i think that it would be helpful to (at least the first times someone posts) show some basic rules and maybe a link to the Forum Guidelines (which could become a wiki page) ..

Seems I was mistaken about the title.
Making Question a default then is OK with me. Some people have a misconception that this is a free support service. From their questions, they really aren't trying to answer their own question before hand nor searching as is written in the Forum Guidelines.
They think all their questions should be answered quickly, but they aren't really helping any body with other's questions. It may be because of cultural differences. emoticon

Yep I believe if make all posts "questions" by default, this will correct a lot of wrongly-tagged posts.

Right now, in my guestimation, 90% to 95% of all initial forums posts are questions desiring an answer, and of those, I'd guess that 20% of them are properly marked as such. So this means that around 70% of all forum posts are "wrongly" not marked as a question (and 30% are "correct"). If we were to check the "this is a question" checkbox by default, then 70% would be "right" and only 30% "wrong" (assuming people continue to not pay attention to the checkbox when initially authoring a thread).

One additional thing to do might be to make the "is this a question?" checkbox much more prominent (larger font). IMO we should do both.
thumbnail
Corné Aussems, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1313 Fecha de incorporación: 3/10/06 Mensajes recientes
Could we find a way to get people asking questions to mark their questions as "Answered".

Maybe a simple script that iterates unanswered post.
Look if they have replies from others
and if so send e-mail to remind asker to 'close' Question

Also a list of open Questions would be helpful to find unanswered questions
thumbnail
James Falkner, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1399 Fecha de incorporación: 17/09/10 Mensajes recientes
Corné Aussems:
Could we find a way to get people asking questions to mark their questions as "Answered".

Maybe a simple script that iterates unanswered post.
Look if they have replies from others
and if so send e-mail to remind asker to 'close' Question

Also a list of open Questions would be helpful to find unanswered questions

One thing I am asking for is to make the "mark as an answer" box more obvious in the thread view, for when you are viewing threads. Also, updating the email template used when emailing posts to users, if it is their post, then provide a convenient "mark as an answer" link in the email.

The "list of open questions" is a good idea I've also wanted for a while (in addition to a list of questions that have answers -- see LEP-6046).