Foros de discusión

French-Canadian

thumbnail
Joshua Asbury, modificado hace 12 años.

French-Canadian

Expert Mensajes: 498 Fecha de incorporación: 8/09/06 Mensajes recientes
Hi all -

A typical customer request is to have a French-Canadian translation of Liferay. Is this something someone can work on?
thumbnail
Jonathon Omahen, modificado hace 12 años.

RE: French-Canadian

Junior Member Mensajes: 31 Fecha de incorporación: 28/09/09 Mensajes recientes
This is certainly something that's possible, and I know of at least on
Quebecois speaker we could talk to about it... ;)

In all seriousness, given that we are using the full locale-language
designations for our locale, we certainly have the ability to
differentiate between fr_CA and fr_FR.

If we don't have it as a target language in Pootle, then we'll need to
add it...

This excites me. Greatly. emoticon
thumbnail
Joshua Asbury, modificado hace 12 años.

Expert Mensajes: 498 Fecha de incorporación: 8/09/06 Mensajes recientes
Me too and plus 1! How do you say "Make it so" in Quebecois?
thumbnail
Julio Camarero, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1668 Fecha de incorporación: 15/07/08 Mensajes recientes
Hi Josh,

we could include fr_CA in the same way we are including other locales as John said. (This customer could also create it for their project if they need it using a hook, no need to wait for us to include it).

The only requirement we have for adding new languages to the portal by default is to have at least one translation leader, which is a person who contributes the initial translation and takes the responsability to keep it updated through Pootle. As soon as somebody volunteers and contributes the initial translation of the language.properties we will include that language in a couple of days.

Thank you!
thumbnail
Sven Werlen, modificado hace 11 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 117 Fecha de incorporación: 25/02/09 Mensajes recientes
That was exactly the post I was looking for.

I have been contributing to french translations since the beginning of Pootle.
Our company is based in Québec and we really need to distinguish fr_CA from fr translations. The french language is extremely important in Québec and even political! We always have to implement hooks in order to improve the french translations. People in French (and Europe in general) tend to use frenglish ;-), specially for technical terms (email, chat, blog) where people in Québec prefer to use french translations (courriel, clavardage, blogue).

I would really appreciate if you could branch the French translations and put me (Sven Werlen) and my collegue (Maxime Chambreuil) as coordinators. We are already both contributing to french translations.

Thanks
thumbnail
Julio Camarero, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1668 Fecha de incorporación: 15/07/08 Mensajes recientes
Hi Sven!

We are extremely happy to hear that! emoticon

We have 2 options for adding this translation:
  • Adding fr_CA as an independent translation which should be translated completely. (This is what we do with zh_ZN and zh_TW for example)
  • Adding fr_CA as a variant on top of fr_FR, which means that in fr_CA you only have those keys which are different to fr_FR and the rest are read from fr_FR. (This is what we do with en_GB and en_US for example, you can check that en_GB translation only contains around 50 lines)

I tend to think that option 2 will be better for maintainability in this scenario. What do you think?

thanks a lot!
thumbnail

Regular Member Mensajes: 117 Fecha de incorporación: 25/02/09 Mensajes recientes
I agree.

If we create two separated translations, the risk is that both will diverge and end up with redundant translations.
I would prefer to only maintain differences (option 2).

Will fr_CA be also available by default in the next versions of Liferay?
That would be nice because we currently have to add fr_CA and en_CA in system-ext.properties.

Regards,
Sven
thumbnail

Hi Sven,

I agree that this will be the best option. fr_CA should be available in the next CE release. Would you also like to contribute the en_CA translation? We can add both if you are willing to contribute to both of them.

I can create the translation files as soon as I have something to add to them (I can not start translations in Pootle with empty translations).
Could you provide some properties translated for each locale? If you can upload them (or post them) to this ticket LPS-26773 and click on "Contribute Solution" that would allow us to create the files to support them in liferay by default.

thank you!
thumbnail

Thanks Julio,

No, we cannot contribute to en_CA yet but I don't think that en_CA is that different from en_US or en_UK.
I'll work on a first fr_CA draft and contribute it.

Regards,
Sven
thumbnail

I pushed a first version of the translation to let you initialize it in Pootle.

Thx
thumbnail

Thanks a lot Sven! The language has already been included in the portal. Pootle will be updated in the following weeks and it will include this language. I have just added you as the leader of the language in Pootle also.

We will let you know when it is ready, Thanks a lot! emoticon
thumbnail

Thank you very much!
thumbnail

Julio Camarero:
Thanks a lot Sven! The language has already been included in the portal. Pootle will be updated in the following weeks and it will include this language. I have just added you as the leader of the language in Pootle also.

We will let you know when it is ready, Thanks a lot! emoticon

Hi Julio,

French (CA) doesn't exist yet in Pootle.
We did a lot of improvements in the fr_CA translations and would like to contribute them.

Could you please check what is the status on that?

Thanks
Sven
thumbnail
Daniel Sanz, modificado hace 11 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 143 Fecha de incorporación: 14/12/10 Mensajes recientes
Hi Sven,

we've added fr_CA language to the Liferay Portal pootle project. This means that fr_CA has become part of the sync mechanism between Pootle and Liferay source code. We've also included the already translated terms. You can check the result here:

http://translate.liferay.com/pootle/fr_CA/portal/

I don't know if you're familiar with Pootle. You can take a look to some documentation we prepared about Pootle and our way to integrate it with Liferay. Here are the links:
http://www.liferay.com/web/daniel.sanz/blog/-/blogs/improving-liferay-translation-effort-through-pootle
http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Translating+Liferay+using+Pootle

Your contributions are welcome!

Best,
Daniel.