Foros de discusión

RE: Document Previews (ImageMagick) 6.1 EE GA1?

thumbnail
Cameron McBride, modificado hace 12 años.

Document Previews (ImageMagick) 6.1 EE GA1?

Expert Mensajes: 269 Fecha de incorporación: 8/02/11 Mensajes recientes
In Liferay 6.1 CE to get document previews you enable the Open Office integration. In 6.1 EE GA1 they have changed this to ImageMagick.

I have checked the Enable ImageMagick box and entered the path to it: C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.7.5-Q16
Next I publish a word document and a spreadsheet that both worked in 6.1 CE. After 20 minutes I still just get the message "Generating preview will take a few minutes.".

I checked the log file in <liferay>\logs and in <liferay>\<tomcat>\logs and did not see anything good or bad in there. I also tried restarting the portal and publishing a 3rd document.

Any tips on how to get document previews going would be awesome!
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1519 Fecha de incorporación: 7/08/06 Mensajes recientes
I think all non pdf or image documents require also OpenOffice to be configured and running.
thumbnail

I do have open office up and running and that option enabled in Liferay. When I go to the document (which now has no preview) on the right I have the conversion options, like turning a .doc to a .pdf.
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1519 Fecha de incorporación: 7/08/06 Mensajes recientes
Hmm. Interesting. Have you tried that the conversion to pdf works?
thumbnail

The document conversion works great or at least the same as it worked before.
thumbnail

Anything else I can try to get this working so I can demo it off to some folks? We are currently running a trial of EE but hopefully we get our real EE license soon. I can make a ticket at that point I suppose.
thumbnail

Well if ImageMagick does not work on your system you can run without it too. Then it'll use PDFBox which has worked very well for me. Once I have some time I'll install ImageMagick on my Mac to see how it works. Did you also install Ghostscript? I think that is also required for the imagemagick conversion to work.
thumbnail

I did not install anything except for ImageMagic for Windows and configured the path in Liferay. I do not see a place in Liferay to tell it to use this PDFBox instead.
thumbnail

Just set imagemagick.enabled=false in your portal-ext.properties. This is the default value.
thumbnail

Just noticed we have some troubleshooting tips for preview generation in Preview Generation Wiki article
thumbnail

That article helped and I've made some progress. First I have turned off ImageMagic since it doesn't work. The troubleshooting is really for Linux/Mac and not Windows. No errors come out so I am unsure how to resolve it. Turning off ImageMagic reverts back to PDFBox so previews are working again.

PDF is previewed by PDFBox
Word/Excel/Other is converted to PDF and previewed by PDFBox (I assume this is what's happening)
The fonts are all unreadable and garbage, I guess that is why they say to use the non-working ImageMagic

Documents published before this was turned on look like they lose out on both Previews and Conversion.

I also installed and turned on Xuggler. I get tons of errors in the logs so that gives me something to work on.
thumbnail
David Coulbeau, modificado hace 11 años.

New Member Mensajes: 8 Fecha de incorporación: 26/10/07 Mensajes recientes
Hi,

Installing Ghostscript on the server solves the problem for me.

Try to open a pdf from "image magick display" on you server, if you have an error (postcript delegate failed), then ghostscript is not installed.

install it and retry the conversion.

Now i can convert all pdf faster with good quality.

regards

david
thumbnail
Milan Palian, modificado hace 11 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 43 Fecha de incorporación: 10/12/09 Mensajes recientes
I thought it did not work on CE 6.1 GA1, but it does.

I am using opensuse 12.1 with ImageMagick and Ghostscript and it was throwing a file not found on "convert", but it was just a matter of setting up the paths correctly to the ImageMagick executables and fonts in the management console. I thought they were correct, but they were not.
thumbnail
Milan Palian, modificado hace 11 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 43 Fecha de incorporación: 10/12/09 Mensajes recientes
Milan Palian:
I thought it did not work on CE 6.1 GA1, but it does.

It turned out that preview works better when using ImageMagick than just PDFBox, but I could not download some of the pdfs, it starts the download and hangs. So I had to go back to PDFBox, which at least works. Incidentally, I had a lot of problems with PDFs not being displayed, still do. It seems that Liferay cannot handle everything that tools like Nitro Box can do to a file and when you get files from users, you have to control over it.
David PROVOST, modificado hace 11 años.

New Member Mensaje: 1 Fecha de incorporación: 16/11/11 Mensajes recientes
Milan Palian:
but I could not download some of the pdfs, it starts the download and hangs.

I think this is not related to preview / imagemagik. We experienced some problems with pdf browser plugins like Adobe reader 9.5. The plugin can display a pdf while still downloading it. This is performed through partial download requests, which seem not to be correctly managed by Liferay 6.1. We have an open ticket about this issue.
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez P, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 3089 Fecha de incorporación: 28/10/08 Mensajes recientes
Hi Milan,

As other member said, this has nothing to do with PDF preview. There is a known issue in 6.1.1 GA (probably 6.1.0 too) when trying to see inline PDF using IE and SSL.

And yes, ImageMagick does better PDF preview than PDFBox.