Foros de discusión

Face-to-face or online real-time meetings

thumbnail
James Falkner, modificado hace 13 años.

Face-to-face or online real-time meetings

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1399 Fecha de incorporación: 17/09/10 Mensajes recientes
All,

While collaborating and growing the leadership team online is great, I think it would be nice to occasionally meet (e.g. over skype, or possibly in person if feasible) to establish better relations and add some organization to what we do. What does everything think about having quarterly (every 3 months) skype meetings? I'm thinking it would be good to have some senior engineering staff from Liferay participate in these meetings as well, especially when discussing the open source roadmap, major engineering efforts ongoing, etc.

If we did this, I'd envision the first meeting in early April, then again in July, October, January.
thumbnail
Shagul Khajamohideen, modificado hace 13 años.

RE: Face-to-face or online real-time meetings

Liferay Master Mensajes: 758 Fecha de incorporación: 27/09/07 Mensajes recientes
James,

I think it is a great idea. Getting all in one-place for a face-to-face could be little challenging. It is possible to get some face-to-face and others over other means. The ideal time for that would be during the Liferay Symposium days and Road Shows. It may be possible to arrange other meetings outside of these as well.

-Shagul
thumbnail
Tomas Polesovsky, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 676 Fecha de incorporación: 13/02/09 Mensajes recientes
James,

I also think it is a great idea and it will be fun!!!! emoticon

I'm looking forward!

-- tom
thumbnail
Szymon Gołębiewski, modificado hace 13 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 246 Fecha de incorporación: 8/06/09 Mensajes recientes
Nice. Let's do it emoticon
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez P, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 3089 Fecha de incorporación: 28/10/08 Mensajes recientes
Wow! Good chance to demonstrate we aren't bots! :-D

Very good idea. Waiting for it....
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1399 Fecha de incorporación: 17/09/10 Mensajes recientes
Juan Gonzalez P:
Wow! Good chance to demonstrate we aren't bots! :-D

Very good idea. Waiting for it....

Ok, I am thinking April 5th. Since many of you are in Europe, how does 8am US/Pacific (4pm GMT) sound?
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez P, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 3089 Fecha de incorporación: 28/10/08 Mensajes recientes
Ok good date/time for me....
thumbnail
Tobias S. Käfer, modificado hace 13 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 128 Fecha de incorporación: 28/03/08 Mensajes recientes
The date/time should work for me.
thumbnail

Liferay Master Mensajes: 676 Fecha de incorporación: 13/02/09 Mensajes recientes
James Falkner:

Ok, I am thinking April 5th.

I'm sorry, I don't have time on Tuesdays afternoon emoticon I would be OK 3 hours later or maybe 6 hours earlier? emoticon

Or any other day that week is OK.

Thank you.

-- tom
thumbnail

Tomas Polesovsky:
James Falkner:

I'm sorry, I don't have time on Tuesdays afternoon emoticon I would be OK 3 hours later or maybe 6 hours earlier? emoticon

Thank you.

-- tom

Ok, how about the same time, but 1 day later (April 6, Wednesday). Does that work for you? Besides Jorge, I am going to try and recruit other senior Liferay engineers for each meeting. I'll send out an agenda as we get closer (and more issues come up emoticon ).

BTW, Cynthia Wilburn is working on an upgrade to our JIRA ticket workflow so that this team can have additional rights to move things around and have more permissions to classify and close bugs as needed. This will be one of the topics at our face-to-face.
thumbnail

James Falkner:
Tomas Polesovsky:
James Falkner:

Thank you.

-- tom

Ok, how about the same time, but 1 day later (April 6, Wednesday). Does that work for you?

Yes, that's OK.

Thank you.

-- tom
thumbnail

Regular Member Mensajes: 128 Fecha de incorporación: 28/03/08 Mensajes recientes
James Falkner:
Ok, how about the same time, but 1 day later (April 6, Wednesday). Does that work for you?

When is the meeting scheduled?
April 5th or 6th?
The time will be 8am US/Pacific (4pm GMT) for each day?

For me April 5th would fit better, since I have some business meetings on April 6th, that might prevent me from participating.

Maybe we could use a tool like http://doodle.com/ to schedule the meeting?

Cheers
Tobias
thumbnail
Corné Aussems, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1313 Fecha de incorporación: 3/10/06 Mensajes recientes
I'm awaiting this time scheduling thing to settle down but as April started today I vote for using Doodle/Google calendar or even better Liferay's Facebook.

4pm GMT is a good time for me too.

On the other side i would just pick a date and see who is in!
thumbnail

Corné Aussems:
I'm awaiting this time scheduling thing to settle down but as April started today I vote for using Doodle/Google calendar or even better Liferay's Facebook.

Corné Aussems:

Love the Facebook idea. I'll set up the event. If you haven't already, be sure to visit the Liferay Facebook page (and click "like" emoticon) So you can see messages related to the event. Is everyone ok using skype? I'll privately collect skype id's (using your liferay.com email addresses) and connect the call. I've found skype to be acceptable for up to 20 people, so we should be OK. If it fails, we can use a traditional phone conference (but it won't be free for everyone).

Tobias, it will be hard to find a time that works for 100% of the people 100% of the time, so we will try this timeslot initially, and then adjust as needed:

Wednesday April 6 at:
0800 Los Angeles (1600 London, 1700 Frankfurt)

The Agenda will be:
  • Introductions (name, company (if any), projects, community desires)
  • Liferay background (company background and structure, community structure and goals, engineering process, release process, how this team relates to those)
  • Leadership Team Charter/Goals and membership expectations
  • Review of 2011 Community Goals (e.g. Dev Docs, Marketplace, Roadmap, etc)
  • Any Other Business

I will try to keep the meeting time to 1 hour but we may go over for this first one.
thumbnail

James Falkner:
Tobias, it will be hard to find a time that works for 100% of the people 100% of the time, so we will try this timeslot initially, and then adjust as needed

I know. Don't worry. I just wanted this meeting to be scheduled.
thumbnail
Deb Troxel, modificado hace 13 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 81 Fecha de incorporación: 22/02/10 Mensajes recientes
Sounds like fun. That time works for me. Other times would work as well, just not 6 hours earlier. emoticon
emoticon
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2871 Fecha de incorporación: 31/08/06 Mensajes recientes
Great idea James.

You can count on me to participate on these meetings whenever I can.
thumbnail
Yousri BENDIABDALLAH, modificado hace 13 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 70 Fecha de incorporación: 11/04/08 Mensajes recientes
Hello everybody

You can count on me too, although I do not speak very good English, I speak French and Arabic

I'm kind of Liferay's ambassador in the Arab world

A+
thumbnail
Ravi Kumar Gupta, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1302 Fecha de incorporación: 24/06/09 Mensajes recientes
Great Idea..

I would love to join emoticon

-Ravi
thumbnail

Ravi Kumar Gupta:
Great Idea..

I would love to join emoticon

-Ravi

Hey Ravi, thanks for volunteering, and hope to see you in April! I will be sending out an agenda in a couple of weeks. If anyone has any items they wish to talk about at the meeting, let me know.
thumbnail
Ryan Terwedo, modificado hace 12 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 94 Fecha de incorporación: 31/10/08 Mensajes recientes
James Falkner:
All,

While collaborating and growing the leadership team online is great, I think it would be nice to occasionally meet (e.g. over skype, or possibly in person if feasible) to establish better relations and add some organization to what we do. What does everything think about having quarterly (every 3 months) skype meetings? I'm thinking it would be good to have some senior engineering staff from Liferay participate in these meetings as well, especially when discussing the open source roadmap, major engineering efforts ongoing, etc.

If we did this, I'd envision the first meeting in early April, then again in July, October, January.

Hey Team--- an easy way to do this would be with something like Tungle.me

We use it for external meeting setups as it syncs to about every cal on the planet automatically and overlays times where everyone is good (basically just by inviting them).

The founder Ryan is a good guy and I think they have added even more features after being bought out by RIM.

Its free for a basic subscription--- and would make skype/goog hangout meetings super easy to setup (another alternate could be old school chat rooms at XYZ time)

PS You can look at what I mean at www.tungle.me/rterwedo ---sorry for the 2 edits