Forums de discussion

Suggested OS Platform for Running Liferay

Al Bermin, modifié il y a 12 années.

Suggested OS Platform for Running Liferay

New Member Publications: 16 Date d'inscription: 23/12/11 Publications récentes
Hi all,

I currently have a local test Liferay instance running on Windows Server 2008 R2. I'm considering deploying a new Liferay system for a PoC to have internal users test and am wondering what the best OS platform would be. I'll probably go with MS SQL for the database. Essentially I have the following questions:

1. Should I do Windows or Linux? Most of the documentation, blogs, etc. seem to reference Linux paths and such so I'm thinking that it might be a better option.

2. Should I go 32-bit or 64-bit? Obviously 64-bit is more scalable but it seems like 64-bit has more considerations and limitations than 32-bit does. Also, can't Liferay support a type of cluster with multiple nodes?

I haven't seen much that talk about this from a documentation standpoint. I'm aware of http://www.liferay.com/products/liferay-portal/tech-specs but that only says what's possible and not necessarily what's recommended or what people are using out there.

Open to all suggestions... emoticon
thumbnail
Samuel Kong, modifié il y a 12 années.

RE: Suggested OS Platform for Running Liferay

Liferay Legend Publications: 1902 Date d'inscription: 10/03/08 Publications récentes
Al Bermin:
1. Should I do Windows or Linux? Most of the documentation, blogs, etc. seem to reference Linux paths and such so I'm thinking that it might be a better option.

Liferay will run well on both Windows and Linux. So I suggest picking the OS that you are most familiar with.

Also, can't Liferay support a type of cluster with multiple nodes?

Yes, you can cluster with Liferay.
Shankar Pednekar, modifié il y a 8 années.

New Member Envoyer: 1 Date d'inscription: 03/06/10 Publications récentes
Liferay EE with Tomcat is giving out of memory error on 32 bit Windows OS on a 4gb RAM

_JAVA_OPTIONS setting is
-Xmx1060m -Xms1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -XX:NewSize=256m -XX:MaxNewSize=256m -XXemoticonermSize=128m -XX:+DisableExplicitGC
thumbnail
Himanshu Bhandari, modifié il y a 8 années.

Regular Member Publications: 148 Date d'inscription: 09/05/14 Publications récentes
Hi

set MaxPermSize=256m or more as per your requirement.
Thanks
thumbnail
Patrick Wolf, modifié il y a 8 années.

Regular Member Publications: 127 Date d'inscription: 15/09/10 Publications récentes

As mentioned above, you go with what you are most comfortable with. I would opt for POSIX, i.e. Unix/Linux OS. Sensitive and industrial projects are run on POSIX OS. On top of that you do not have to pay for any heavy license fees if you choose CentOS, SUSE or Debian Linux distributions.

Should I go 32-bit or 64-bit? Obviously 64-bit is more scalable but it seems like 64-bit has more considerations and limitations than 32-bit does. Also, can't Liferay support a type of cluster with multiple nodes?

32 bit architectures will soon disappear. 64 bit is now the standard on desktops, notebooks and servers. 32 bit processor architectures were once desired because they could address (point to) 4 Gigabytes of memory in one go, which was awesome last century. Some modern applications require more than 4 GB of memory to complete their tasks so 64 bit systems are now becoming more attractive because they can potentially address up to 4 billion times that many locations.
Liferay is scalable and supports clustering.
thumbnail
Meera Prince, modifié il y a 8 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 1111 Date d'inscription: 08/02/11 Publications récentes
Hi
Have look into support matrix it may help you and aslo have look into liferay whitepapers you may get more information.

https://www.liferay.com/documents/14/21598941/Liferay+Portal+6.2+EE+Compatibility+Matrix.pdf

https://www.liferay.com/documentation/additional-resources/whitepapers

Regarads,
Meera Prince
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, modifié il y a 8 années.

Liferay Master Publications: 978 Date d'inscription: 03/01/10 Publications récentes
For production and staging installs, I by far prefer Linux 64 bit - I currently have many installs on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Though I also have had to support installs on Windows Servers. If on Windows, I put Liferay in a folder like c:\lr\ and use Apache2 in front in a folder like c:\apache2\. (shorter paths, avoid Windows spaces in paths) If on Windows, I install gitbash to have a command line 'similar' to what I might see in a bash shell on Linux or Mac.

I generally find working with Windows more time intensive to manage, but is a requirement for some clients who in a bigger infrastructure picture with a lot of Windows dependencies find having to manage additionally Linux more time intensive. Fair enough.

For development (unlike prod/staging servers), folks need the GUI whether using Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA or another. I've used and continue to have to support environments on Linux, Mac, and Windows. By far, I prefer Linux though actually type day to day myself on a Windows laptop (with several screens), and use a KVM product called Synergy to allow me to use my Windows keyboard and mouse to also manage a Linux output. You might even set up VirtualBox on some really powerful hardware to have various environments available.

That Liferay supports so many platforms is pretty cool, and Meera's links to compatibility matrix and whitepapers are definitely required reading.