Forums de discussion

liferay on jdk 1.7

Sasi Test, modifié il y a 11 années.

liferay on jdk 1.7

New Member Publications: 18 Date d'inscription: 02/08/12 Publications récentes
hi,

Is there a date and version when liferay would be available on jdk 1.7? I was curious, since our environment only supports jdk 1.7 and jdk 1.6 is sunset by oracle.

Thanks,
Sasipriya
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modifié il y a 11 années.

RE: liferay on jdk 1.7

Liferay Legend Publications: 14916 Date d'inscription: 02/09/06 Publications récentes
It's nothing specific to Liferay. The issue was 1.7 compatibility w/ Lucene (which Liferay uses a lot of).

According to Oracle, the bugs found by the Lucene crew (mention here) were supposed to be fixed in JDK 7 u 1, and all reports seem to verify that the issues were fixed.

But, I think there's a new version of Lucene that needs to be used, and I'm not sure if there was any impact to the Liferay core as a result. If so, then Liferay would need to do some integration testing to make sure things are going to fly before releasing to the public.

In the mean time, jdk 6 might be in sunset, but they are still supporting it and still providing patches for it (just got 1.6.0_43 last week).

Stick w/ jdk 6 until they announce support...

Thank you, and that would be my preference, however, our environment support team is refusing to support jdk 1.6 for a new installation since they say that it is in sunset mode. Hence I am trying to get to jdk 1.7 for liferay.

Thanks,
Sasipriya
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Publications: 14916 Date d'inscription: 02/09/06 Publications récentes
Well then you should just stop the project now. JDK 1.7 is not officially supported by Liferay and if you try to use it you will fail. Your env support team will not allow JDK 1.6.

So quit now while you're ahead.
thumbnail
James Falkner, modifié il y a 11 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 1399 Date d'inscription: 17/09/10 Publications récentes
David H Nebinger:
Well then you should just stop the project now. JDK 1.7 is not officially supported by Liferay and if you try to use it you will fail. Your env support team will not allow JDK 1.6.

BTW, not all hope is lost emoticon JDK 7 is supported in 6.1 EE (available now) and will be supported in the major Liferay release of CE and EE (6.2), slated for sometime this year[1]. Also, the issues related to breakage were fixed in the Milestone 3 and 4 build, so if you expect to use JDK 7 with Liferay 6.2, you can get started with the pre-release Milestones.

Thank you! that is wonderful news. so 6.2 is slated for sometime this year? Would it be available by summer?

Sasipriya
thumbnail

Not to malign Liferay or James, but you should take whatever answer you get with a grain of salt. Meeting published release schedules is not their forte, shall we say... emoticon
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modifié il y a 11 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 7942 Date d'inscription: 24/03/10 Publications récentes
David H Nebinger:
Not to malign Liferay or James, but you should take whatever answer you get with a grain of salt. Meeting published release schedules is not their forte, shall we say... emoticon

After the disaster with Liferay 6.1 release dates, DO NOT READ ANYBODY RELEASE DATE. It'll come out when it comes out. Liferay's release date is like trying to predict next year's weather - unfortunately, liferay.com's employees don't really know it.

BTW, you can try using Solr to do you searching instead of Lucene. There's a Solr plugin at the Marketplace.
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, modifié il y a 11 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 2871 Date d'inscription: 31/08/06 Publications récentes
Hitoshi Ozawa:
David H Nebinger:

After the disaster with Liferay 6.1 release dates, DO NOT READ ANYBODY RELEASE DATE. It'll come out when it comes out. Liferay's release date is like trying to predict next year's weather - unfortunately, liferay.com's employees don't really know it.

BTW, you can try using Solr to do you searching instead of Lucene. There's a Solr plugin at the Marketplace.

Thanks Hitoshi, the trust you put in our team is always encouraging ;)

Now, seriously, we are working very hard to avoid the challenges we faced with releasing 6.1 and the frequent milestone releases are a testament of the progress we are making.

We have also learned about not providing internal engineering dates that might change for a variety of reasons, which is why probably everybody is avoiding giving any specific dates right now. I can say though that I definitely want to release during 2013 but I'd prefer to provide more details at this point.

Meanwhile we will keep publishing Milestone releases. Later on we will start releasing Betas and then RC's. For how long we will be doing that will highly depend on how much help we can get from you guys with the testing (and how many bugs are found).
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Publications: 7942 Date d'inscription: 24/03/10 Publications récentes

Well, you guys brought this to yourselves. I trusted you guys on the release date on 6.1 and told everybody to wait on and off the forum and you just keep extending it again and again. The release date got lost somewhere near the end. How many month after was it released finally? I remember it being in the next budget cycle for most Japanese companies.

I got many complaints about that afterwards. I just don't want anybody to suffer as I did.

I don't know how it is in Spain, but Japanese people are very tight on schedule. We do projects and tasks in timeboxes.

If you want us to trust you again, show us that you can keep with the schedule you've made. Trust is earned and not given away freely (as is beer emoticon )
thumbnail
Bijan Vakili, modifié il y a 10 années.

Expert Publications: 375 Date d'inscription: 10/03/09 Publications récentes
Hitoshi Ozawa:

Well, you guys brought this to yourselves. I trusted you guys on the release date on 6.1 and told everybody to wait on and off the forum and you just keep extending it again and again. The release date got lost somewhere near the end. How many month after was it released finally? I remember it being in the next budget cycle for most Japanese companies.

I got many complaints about that afterwards. I just don't want anybody to suffer as I did.

I don't know how it is in Spain, but Japanese people are very tight on schedule. We do projects and tasks in timeboxes.

If you want us to trust you again, show us that you can keep with the schedule you've made. Trust is earned and not given away freely (as is beer emoticon )

After visiting Japan, I get it. Now I know what Hitoshi means here. I never saw a train or bus delayed. I heard trains are late five minutes per year! That's an aggregate over the whole year. It's amazing, but world isn't like that. Although, it's a great example to see.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modifié il y a 10 années.

Ah, but even they can be gamed... Since the driver controls the throttle and knows he/she needs to get to the next station in such an amount of time, he/she can adjust to get an arrival at desired time. You build in the delay into the schedule so it's easy to meet it.

Unfortunately software dev teams never pick the most pessimistic release date, even though they should. Sales and customers hate the most pessimistic date, but more often than not, that is the date that software gets released on.

Think of what a happy world we'd have if we did pick the most pessimistic release date. Not only would we be on time most of the time, but if we got it done sooner we'd be heroes!

Instead we're the bad guys missing the release date on an impossible schedule and spend all of our time in a death march trying to hit the date that most of us already know we can't possibly do...
thumbnail
Bijan Vakili, modifié il y a 10 années.

Expert Publications: 375 Date d'inscription: 10/03/09 Publications récentes
Just for record, I feel Hitoshi's pain; but at same time, love Liferay's performance. Quality is more important than dates. I mean, having both is the goal here; but, I'd do the same if I wore their shoes.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modifié il y a 10 années.

I totally agree, Bijan. Picking a valid release date is a very difficult process, but here in the US it tends to be driven more by sales and PR than it is by the various teams actually doing the work.

I'm happy that the release did wait until it was actually done instead of shipping crap at the pre-determined date. My suggestion would have been that if they used a realistic date rather than an optimistic one, they would have been able to meet that date and kept everyone happy.
thumbnail
James Falkner, modifié il y a 10 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 1399 Date d'inscription: 17/09/10 Publications récentes
David H Nebinger:
I totally agree, Bijan. Picking a valid release date is a very difficult process, but here in the US it tends to be driven more by sales and PR than it is by the various teams actually doing the work.

I'm happy that the release did wait until it was actually done instead of shipping crap at the pre-determined date. My suggestion would have been that if they used a realistic date rather than an optimistic one, they would have been able to meet that date and kept everyone happy.

Picking and sticking to a firm release date is difficult for Liferay (and many other projects) - there are so many variables. We had an internal 'post mortem' and one of the things we thought worked well was the pre-release schedule (milestones, betas, RCs) that helped improve quality of the final release (especially the betas), even though it meant slipping the release date. Combining the release teams experience with our community's ability to detect bad code means that when we move into the beta period, you can guesstimate that the release will happen within the next 3 months, unless the first beta is absolutely horrible (which won't happen, it will be renamed in that case emoticon). While not perfect, I think it's a reasonably good system and will hopefully improve over time.
thumbnail

Can you point to any official documentation around this subject for the EE version? If there is an issue around Lucene it would be nice to know the official word for the EE version as well.

Jorge,
This would be a very good EE support to have in the current 6.1 EE users.

BTW,
We don't use Lucene here in Japan because the search capabilites are too bad. I think I've posted about this before and I thought you were going to take care of it but seems you haven't.

I do hope that I'm really trying to help you guys out. When I started, I've asked Brian Chan to allow me to setup a branch for the Japanese version because we have a slightly different specification and the market here is more competitive, but he didn't want to. I've introduced Brian Endo to a board of director here to so he'll be able to convince them to become a partner but he didn't fully take the opportunity. I've tried to setup an event between our companies so our customers would be fully introduced to liferay.com but liferay.com didn't want to do that either. (It's like a chicken and egg situation here because a large Japanese company like us won't become a partner unless we have a customer already - if Brian Endo can find a potential customer to us, that would be great too but he's not able to of yet.) I'm also posting here on what's I'm going to do so you'll all know what's I'm going to release. I've told Bryant that I was going to give a year to have liferay.com Japan to get something going here, but I'm getting reports from clients that they really haven't seen anything going. A year is amost up. I do know that liferay.com has their own internal matters, but so do I and all of our clients - I need get some tangible results here. You guys are making me lose my face here from all these inaction.

Finally, can you get somebody to rewrite the Japanese Liferay.com page? I've been asking this for a long time because it really looks very terrible. I've been told Liferay.com would fix these. Japanese is a very hierarchical society and has different words and ways of expression. Liferay.com site needs to be re-written in technical Japanese language which is different from common social Japanese. Most of us thought this would have been fixed when Liferay.com Japan came about but it still isn't. Look at Alfresco's site (http://www.alfresco.com/jp) and Jaspersoft (http://www.jaspersoft.com/JP). For you note, we're Jaspersoft's partner in Japan - they took the opportunity I've created very nicely.

For you note, there's an entry in Liferay's Japanese partner's blog out not being able to understand Liferay.com's Japanese page. Liferay.com should really be contacting their partner more - all I keep hearing from them is that they really don't understand what Liferay.com is doing or trying to do. They were also asking me if I would join liferay.com and I think they were hinting about joining them otherwise. If you're going to do any business in Japan, you really have to understand Japanese business' hierarchical structure and company's position in it. There's many books on the subject (unfortunately, all in Japanese).
thumbnail
Shankar Baba, modifié il y a 10 années.

Regular Member Publications: 143 Date d'inscription: 18/10/12 Publications récentes
Hi Hitoshi, i have a small doubt, can i start liferay 6.1 without installing jdk , it i should use the exising jre inside tomcat??, if your answer is yes,please tell me the way to achieve it.Thanks inavance.

--Shankar
thumbnail
Cordell Bourne, modifié il y a 11 années.

New Member Publications: 4 Date d'inscription: 12/12/11 Publications récentes
James Falkner:
David H Nebinger:

BTW, not all hope is lost emoticon JDK 7 is supported in 6.1 EE (available now) and will be supported in the major Liferay release of CE and EE (6.2), slated for sometime this year[1]. Also, the issues related to breakage were fixed in the Milestone 3 and 4 build, so if you expect to use JDK 7 with Liferay 6.2, you can get started with the pre-release Milestones.

Can you point to any official documentation around this subject for the EE version? If there is an issue around Lucene it would be nice to know the official word for the EE version as well.