Forums de discussion

Installing Social Office to a hosted dedicated domain/ip

Michael A Smith, modifié il y a 14 années.

Installing Social Office to a hosted dedicated domain/ip

New Member Publications: 7 Date d'inscription: 25/11/09 Publications récentes
Hi guys,

I've successfully installed SO on one of my servers and got great reviews from the pilot testers I had check it out. Now my question is can I installed SO to a domain on this server instead of the server's domain itself. This particular server hosts a great many websites, many on a shared ip. (which is the same ip as the server itself)
So, as things currently work for me, I can go to any of the domains using that shared ip and just add :8080 to the address to access SO.
This is exactly what I do not want. I wish to have SO running on a domain that has a dedicated ip that is not the same as the servers ip address. So that SO is only available publicly by going to www.myexample.com:8080 or obviously by the ip/:8080.

I've played around with this concept for about 2 weeks now changing settings in every file I could find that might possibly change this but to no avail. I've currently got SO "installed" on the domain with the dedicated IP but SO is not accessable there, only to the domains using the shared ip of the host.

I've got a brand spanking new Dell server with all the bells and whistles running CentOS 5. I've got full root access and can make any changes to anything I need except for the routers and firewalls, those I have to petition the datacenter for changes to.

Any help with this would be great, I'd like to get an actual production environment of SO going for the Bosses and the Masses, then I can start thinking about upgrading things to LifeRay portal itself. I see huge potential in these products for the Organization I work for. We've got 3 million members worldwide and most of the central offices are still doing things with paper and pen.

Thanks much for your time.

Michael Smith
Technology Manager
The American Legion Department of Colorado
thumbnail
Jonas Yuan, modifié il y a 14 années.

RE: Installing Social Office to a hosted dedicated domain/ip

Liferay Master Publications: 993 Date d'inscription: 27/04/07 Publications récentes
Hi Michael,

You may need to use virtual hosting, clustering, and load balancer for you current Social Office.

Please let me know if you need details.

Thanks

Jonas Yuan
-----------------
The Author of Liferay Books:
Liferay Portal 5.2 Systems Development
Liferay Portal Enterprise Intranets

Jonas,

Thanks for the response, I appreciate someone getting back to me on this.

Ok, I'll bite, why might I need to use virtual hosting, clustering and load balancing to make Social Office work the way I'd like?

I found this article the other day: Running Liferay on shared hosting

But I'm not sure if it applies with a social office implementation. Based on what I've done so far and what this article states, I think I would only need to figure out the portion that goes in the "portal-ext.properties" file:
portal.ctx=/portal
liferay.home=/home/widgetfx/liferay

the question is, would social office recognize those as valid parameters?

I'm actually supposed to demo this for a larger group tomorrow morning, I was hoping to have this figured out before then, I can still run it from the server address for demo purposes, but that's not something easily remembered for these guys, as opposed to something like:
www.myexample.com/office or office.myexample.com.

Thanks much!

Michael Smith
thumbnail
Bryan Cheung, modifié il y a 14 années.

Expert Publications: 373 Date d'inscription: 27/08/04 Publications récentes
Hi Michael,

Curious whether you managed to pull this off?

Bryan,

Actually, no I haven't. I did take a bit of a break around the holidays but I do need to try to get this running asap. I'm pretty clueless how to achieve this though. I figure there's got to be a way to force it to use a particular IP address, I'm just not sure how to go about it. I'm not a java developer so a lot of this is pretty foreign to me.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...It's not necessarily a huge deal, but it'd help things look more professional to my powers that be.

Thanks!
Michael Smith