Forums de discussion

6.0.4: Internet Explorer problems with control panel

thumbnail
Andreas Netter, modifié il y a 13 années.

6.0.4: Internet Explorer problems with control panel

Junior Member Publications: 32 Date d'inscription: 19/05/06 Publications récentes
Hi Liferay community,

we have some problems with IE7, IE8 and Liferay 6.0.4:

1)
It is not possible for us to attach organisations or communities to users in the control panel. A click on an organisation or community in the popup window for selection results in an js error:
'null' is null or not an object. file: search_container.js

2)
Furthermore it is nearly impossible for us to do adminstrative works in the control panel (creating users, organisations, communities...) with IE because it slows down more and more.

Has anyone similar problems with IE and liferay 6.0.4.?

With Firefox 3 we don't have these problems.

Our System:
Liferay Tomcat Bundle 6.0.4
MySQL 5
IE7 and IE8

Thanks,
Andi
thumbnail
David Underwood, modifié il y a 13 années.

RE: 6.0.4: Internet Explorer problems with control panel

New Member Publications: 22 Date d'inscription: 06/08/10 Publications récentes
I was about to post this exact topic.
I'm experiencing the same issues with IE.

Also, when trying Firefox in the User Admin pages the Roles, Organizations and other like windows do not pop up at all nor do "action" buttons create popups when working with things like the document library.
thumbnail
Samuel Liu, modifié il y a 13 années.

Expert Publications: 301 Date d'inscription: 27/05/10 Publications récentes
Hi Andreas, David,

I'll try to reproduce this asap.

Thanks for your help emoticon

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail

Reproduced. Thanks for the help, I'll file a bug ticket for you guys and push this up to get fixed. This is pretty major, great find guys.

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail

Samuel,

I ran into these issues while evaluating Liferay as our portal/cms choice.
They, especially the slowness, may effect whether or not I can get sign-off from management.

Do you have any idea when these fixes might be released?

Thanks for your help.
thumbnail

Hi David,

As soon as it's fixed, it should be available in the latest nightly build (http://releases.liferay.com/portal/nightly).

As far as when this will be fixed, I am pushing to get it fixed asap. I can't give you and solid timeline right now though. The LPS has been created in our issue tracker and given critical priority. I will keep you posted emoticon

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail

Hi David, Andreas,

I successfully reproduced the first problem (can't add orgs to users in cp for IE7/8), however I'm having trouble reproducing the bug where the slowdown occurs, or the Firefox bug.

Can you guys give me some steps for reproducing those bugs? That way we can most quickly assign a developer to fix these crucial things.

David, what version of Firefox is giving you those problems?

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail

Sam,

I'm running Firefox 3.0.19 with cookies and javascript turned on.
I'll attach screen shots of the two main issues
1. Action buttons do nothing when clicked. Also there is no JS error associated with this [lack of]behavior though the following 2 JS errors are reported by Firefox on the home page which contains an an empty alert box, RSS feed, Document Library Display, Web Content Display (with very basic content), Search and a Poll
2. When clicking on any of the "Details" items under User Infomation the page only jumps down a bit as if the link were to a page marker. No window pops up for role selection, for example.

The slowness occurs with Internet Explorer only and behaves like a memory leak.
Literally, the more I browse around the slower the pages load. Restarting the browser resets the slowness.
This is Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13 with cookies and javascript enabled.

-------------------------------------------
JavaScript errors on home page which I'm including just in case they are related to the above javascript issues.

Error: d is null
Source File: http://localhost:8080/combo/?browserId=firefox&minifierType=js&languageId=en_US&t=1280865987166&p=/html/js&m=/aui/aui-data-set/aui-data-set-min.js&m=/aui/widget/widget-parent-min.js&m=/aui/aui-toolbar/aui-toolbar-min.js&m=/aui/dom/selector-css3-min.js&m=/aui/querystring/querystring-parse-min.js&m=/aui/aui-event/aui-event-min.js&m=/aui/aui-form/aui-form-min.js&m=/aui/aui-editable/aui-editable-min.js&m=/aui/dd/dd-min.js&m=/aui/aui-portal-layout/aui-portal-layout-min.js&m=/aui/aui-resize/aui-resize-min.js&m=/aui/queue-promote/queue-promote-min.js&m=/aui/datatype/datatype-xml-min.js&m=/aui/io/io-min.js&m=/liferay/layout.js&m=/liferay/menu.js&m=/aui/aui-sortable/aui-sortable-min.js&m=/liferay/navigation.js&m=/liferay/notice.js&m=/liferay/panel.js&m=/aui/aui-paginator/aui-paginator-min.js&m=/liferay/panel_floating.js&m=/liferay/poller.js&m=/aui/cookie/cookie-min.js&m=/liferay/session.js&
Line: 9

Error: Q.getElementsByTagName is not a function
Source File: http://localhost:8080/combo/?browserId=firefox&minifierType=js&languageId=en_US&t=1280865987166&p=/html/js&m=/aui/pluginhost/pluginhost-min.js&m=/aui/base/base-min.js&m=/aui/dom/dom-min.js&m=/aui/node/node-min.js&m=/aui/event/event-min.js&m=/aui/anim/anim-min.js&m=/aui/collection/collection-min.js&m=/aui/classnamemanager/classnamemanager-min.js&m=/aui/widget/widget-min.js&m=/aui/aui-component/aui-component-min.js&m=/aui/aui-delayed-task/aui-delayed-task-min.js&m=/aui/aui-node/aui-node-min.js&m=/aui/plugin/plugin-min.js&m=/aui/aui-state-interaction/aui-state-interaction-min.js&m=/aui/widget/widget-child-min.js&m=/aui/aui-button-item/aui-button-item-min.js&m=/aui/widget/widget-position-min.js&m=/aui/widget/widget-stack-min.js&m=/aui/widget/widget-position-align-min.js&m=/aui/widget/widget-position-constrain-min.js&m=/aui/widget/widget-stdmod-min.js&m=/aui/async-queue/async-queue-min.js&m=/aui/aui-parse-content/aui-parse-content-min.js&m=/aui/io/io-base-min.js&m=/aui/json/json-min.js&m=/aui/querystring/querystring-stringify-min.js&m=/aui/substitute/substitute-min.js&m=/aui/overlay/overlay-min.js&m=/aui/aui-overlay/aui-overlay-min.js&m=/aui/aui-loading-mask/aui-loading-mask-min.js&m=/aui/event-simulate/event-simulate-min.js&m=/aui/node/node-event-simulate-min.js&m=/aui/node-focusmanager/node-focusmanager-min.js&m=/aui/aui-io/aui-io-min.js&m=/liferay/dockbar.js&
Line: 282
thumbnail

Hi David,

Thanks for the details! And this is all on 6.0.4?

Do you think you can give our most recently nightly build a try?
Liferay Nighty Builds

I just did a test on the most recent 6.0.5 nightly (6.0.5 is due for release really soon!) and I didn't have the IE slowdown problem. If you can't give it a go that's okay just let me know so that I go back to see if the problem has been resolved or if it does persist.

I'm running a variety of tests right now to try to reproduce this and get more details for the bugfixers.

Thanks for taking the time to do this for us, it means a lot. Thanks also for your patience emoticon

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail

Hi David,

This is rather odd. I'm using Firefox 3.0.19 and testing but action buttons seem to work okay. They definitely should not be doing *nothing* -- but they seem working for me. I wonder if there might be another reason this broke for you...

As far as detail links go in the account page, they're not supposed to pop anything up. They are supposed to change the page you see on the left though -- and if that's not working for you, it might be related to the action button thing.

Besides adding portlets, have you made any changes to your bundle?

Thanks for your help emoticon
Sam
thumbnail

I've overlaid my install with the nightly build:

Firefox behavior hasn't changed but now when I open the control panel in IE I get an error:
Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site  http://localhost:8080/group/control_panel?doAsGroupId=10255&refererPlid=104477

Operation aborted

I have changed this bundle only hooking it MySQL and configuring portlets.
The behaviors in both browsers have existing since I fist unzipped and opened it, though.

I'll have others here try to replicate my Firefox issues and/or install it fresh then report back.
thumbnail

Thanks David,

This is really helpful. Yeah hm is upgrading Firefox at all possible? I know that this stuff is working in the latest Firefox. I'm guessing you're on 3.0 for legacy or company reasons though?

That error you just got is also being worked on right now. It happens because the javascript tries to edit the DOM before the page is fully loaded. Hopefully that will get patched up pretty soon.

Rest assured, still working to reproduce and fix these problems. Will keep you posted also, thanks for all your help!

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail

Junior Member Publications: 32 Date d'inscription: 19/05/06 Publications récentes
Hi Sam,

first of all: Thanks for your fast replies and your help!

I reproduced the slow down by the following example steps with IE and 6.0.4:
  • open control panel
  • click on organizations to list all organizations
  • add an organisation and save it
  • click on organizations to list all organizations
  • edit the just added organisation and change a detail. e.g. add an image
  • back to 2

For these steps the IE memory usage on the client increases by about 100 MB per loop. After 2-3 loops the response time of IE is very bad.

Regards,
Andi
thumbnail

Thanks for the detail Andreas.

We've assigned developers to the tickets as you can see here Liferay JIRA - LPS-11928 (it is related to 2 other tickets with the other bugs). Hopefully these get resolved soon.

The more reproduce steps and details you give the faster we can solve the problems emoticon We appreciate your patience.

And thanks, I try to be fast about getting to all these reported bugs, but it can be pretty overwhelming. It's always so encouraging to get feedback from the community.

Warm regards,
Sam

PS did you know? we're doing a community documentation reorganization!
thumbnail

Sam,

I've upgraded Firefox and my javascript issues have disappeared.
Sorry for the misdirect.
Please feel free to disregard all that stuff I've posted regarding Firefox.

I'll happily await developments around the Internet Explorer issues though.
thumbnail

Hi David,

That's great news! I'll close the Firefox ticket.

One of the two IE bugs has been fixed and is in review pending entrance to the codebase. You can watch the ticket to see when it gets committed -- the next nightly build will probably have it ready.

The slowdown bug still needs to get reproduced but it's been assigned so it is on the way.

Will keep you posted emoticon

Sam
thumbnail

Hi David,

You'll be glad to know that we committed a fix for the second IE bug today. It should be out tomorrow in our nightly build which you can download at Liferay Nightly Builds

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail

Sam,

I've downloaded liferay-portal-tomcat-2010-08-16 from the nightly builds but haven't started it up yet. I'll be able to focus on Liferay again next week sometime and post to this thread once I've tested.

Thanks again for your help.
thumbnail

Hi Dave,

When you do get time to test it, can you do it on the official GA3 release? It should be on the download page in under an hour. It should have the fix emoticon

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail

Hi Sam,

I've tested the issues with the new Liferay 6.0.5.
  • The selection of organizations, communities etc. via pop up windows works now with IE.
  • The speed and memory usage with IE has been improved a little, but is still not good. We will use Firefox for portal administration via control panel.

Thanks for your help guys!
Andi
thumbnail

Hi Sam,

to clarify the result of the second issue:
For us, the performance issue with IE is not fixed in GA3, but we can use firefox for administration. The response time is still bad with Internet Explorer compared to Firefox.

We plan to launch a portal to share informations across our group of companies based on the new Liferay 6 the next weeks. But most of our users have to use IE (it's our default browser) and using Liferay 6 GA3 with IE is still not very satisfying.

Currently, I'm unsure if we can go live with the current IE performance.

Regards,
Andi
thumbnail

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the input. We definitely want to improve on speed issues but we need some details if you are able to provide them:

* What's your default Internet Explorer version?
* Also, is 5.2.3 usable for you in terms of speed compared to 6.0.5?

Some versions of IE render javascript like 40x slower than Firefox, and IE9 is almost as fast as Chrome, so if we don't know which browser it is we can't decide how to optimize. We also like to compare our versions, because 5.2.3 worked well for most users in terms of speed. So if 6.0.x is a certain metric slower than 5.2.x, then we know by what factor we need to improve and we can make the appropriate cuts. This information would be super helpful to us if you have time to help us get it emoticon

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail

Hi Sam,

sorry for my imprecise informations. We've the performance problems with:

Liferay 6.0.5.
Internet Explorer 8 (8.0.6001.18702CO)
Internet Explorer 7 (7.0.5730.13CO)
both on Windows XP SP2 32 Bit

The concrete problem is:
After a page is loaded, it takes several seconds till the user can interact with the content, for example click a button or open a drop down box.

Liferay 5.2.3 is usable for us in terms of speed. We don't see the behavior there.

I must admit that these are all subjective impressions. I currently can't back this up with data.
Nevertheless, I hope the input helps you a bit.

Perhaps I can come back with some performance data in a couple of weeks.

Regards,
Andi
thumbnail

Hi Andreas,

Sorry it took a while to get back to you on this:

Yeah just the fact that 5.2.3 is usable via impression is important emoticon I will let our frontend guys know. Our heavy use of Javascript is the thing that makes rendering on certain browsers faster than others -- generally IE has atrocious javascript speeds. We will do our best though, and keep you posted emoticon

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail
Hugh Martin, modifié il y a 13 années.

Junior Member Publications: 75 Date d'inscription: 15/06/10 Publications récentes
Has there been any change? We're running the same version of IE 7 (7.0.5730.13CO) and having the same problems. IE memory usage continues to climb and performance continues to degrade very quickly until we close IE and open a new session (new iexplore.exe process).
dave coleman, modifié il y a 13 années.

New Member Publications: 18 Date d'inscription: 03/08/10 Publications récentes
Hi Samuel (and liferay team). Just thought I would let you know that I am also seeing the exact same issues with IE7 on liferay 6.0.4. For me it is unusable as all my users are on IE7 or 8. I am going to try 5.2.3 but hope you can resolve this.

If fact I am seeing it with the straight unziped version downloaded - so no special/bad config done on my part. Hope you can replicate.

Thanks
dave
thumbnail
Russell Wong, modifié il y a 13 années.

New Member Envoyer: 1 Date d'inscription: 05/11/08 Publications récentes
I have the same issue in Liferay Version 6.0.5. I want to know if this issue will be fixed in next release?
thumbnail
Nate Cavanaugh, modifié il y a 13 années.

Junior Member Publications: 94 Date d'inscription: 27/11/06 Publications récentes
Hi all,
I just wanted to let everyone know we are looking at these issues and have fixed quite a few over the span of the 6.0 release cycle.
Unfortunately, memory issues are always tough to narrow down as pinning it to a specific behavior is usually pretty tough as it often seems to happen over a long period of time.
So the more info you can provide on the actions that seem to trigger it, the quicker we can squash any issues that might be causing it.
If anyone is able to provide any more info or a set of pages that exhibit it specifically, please let us know emoticon

hi nate

I cant give you specific pages - but for me liferay gets slower very quickly when I use control panel. I have an older laptop (3+ years old) - maybe you have a modern fast machine which is "hiding" the issue?

My set up:
Windows vista professional (x32 not 64) with 2GB memory
IE7 (7.0.6002.18005)
liferay 6.0.4 bundle with tomcat (downloaded and run - no config changes)
I also configured for mysql rather than internal db (but I do not think that is relevant)

Note that I also had a remote server setup as liferay server (same setup as above) - so my laptop was just a client and I still had the same issue.

Within a couple of minutes I get the go-slow in IE. In firefox no problems.

We are now using 5.2.3 due to this issue - it does not have the problem.

hope that helps
thumbnail

I'm assuming that this issue is still open.

I'm using "Liferay Portal 6 CE GA3" with I.E. 7.0.5730.13
What I've noticed is that limited user accounts no longer show the incremental slowdown and that I can cycle through organization pages speedily.

Admin accounts, though, continue to get slower with each click.
It doesn't seem to build as quickly now but the slowness does build for Admin accounts even if I stay off the Control Panel.

I can also confirm similar behaviour - 6.0.5GA3 on IE7. After around 10 minutes of moving around as an admin IE uses 300MB of memory (and climing). It does not happen as quickly but it is there. Note that this is from the zip download with no configuration at all - I was even using the Bruno account.

I must stay with 5.2.3 as it does not have this issue.

To be honest I cant see why other peiople are not getting the same problem? It seems easy to replicate (probably not easy to fix though). Maybe other people are not posting about it? On a laptop with 2gb memory that is also running outlook, word , excell etc 300MB does have impact. These smaller machines are what end users have - maybe the liferay team have monster developer systsme and so do not see the issue? Or maybe they do not use IE?

Hope some kind of fix available soon.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modifié il y a 13 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 7942 Date d'inscription: 24/03/10 Publications récentes
I'm current testing on 6.0.5.
Most of my potential users are still on IE6 and I'm still facing the same problem. I'm still also having the alignment problem with IE6.
Alloy UI seems too be causing much more problems than what's it's worth. It's very tough to convince user to use Liferay 6 when it's less usable.
I sure hope that I'll be able to laugh at these statements in few more weeks.
thumbnail
daniel gutierrez diez, modifié il y a 13 années.

New Member Publications: 2 Date d'inscription: 25/01/11 Publications récentes
Hi all,
I do not know if this issue is already fixed or not.
I am having this problem with IE7 and the Liferay 6.0.5 (bundle with Tomcat, directly from the Liferay site)
is there any solution for it?

thanks,
Daniel.
thumbnail
Alan Robertson, modifié il y a 13 années.

New Member Publications: 19 Date d'inscription: 05/11/10 Publications récentes
The only "solution" I have found is to use Google Chrome. That web browser keeps memory under control when logged into Liferay as an admin. Firefox and IE both increase in memory use until they are sluggish and unusable.
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Publications: 7942 Date d'inscription: 24/03/10 Publications récentes
The only "solution" I have found is to use Google Chrome.

Seems like I'll have to install Chrome for the demo next week. Are the layouts OK. I'm, also encountering layout problems with IE which probably isn't fixed in the EE as well.

According to the Liferay staff, it's suppose to be at most 2 more days till the 6.0.6 release.
thumbnail

I just installed Chrome and tested my site with it. It's light and the pages come up very quickly. I'm not finding too much of a layout problem (a little...).

If only all my clients decide to standardize on using Chrome... Unfortunately, all are using IE and the chance of their switching to Chrome is almost nil...

I propose that all Liferay developers and testers use IE.emoticon
thumbnail
daniel gutierrez diez, modifié il y a 13 années.

New Member Publications: 2 Date d'inscription: 25/01/11 Publications récentes
I have the same problem, all my clients are using IE7 and it is not possible to change that...
I am testing the last night build version and it seems better, but I think the memory leak problem is still there...
ken ken, modifié il y a 13 années.

New Member Publications: 2 Date d'inscription: 23/03/11 Publications récentes
Downloaded 6.0.6 tomcat bundle. Same problem with IE7 "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site". No issue with chrome.

All our users are on IE7 and IE8.
thumbnail

ken ken:
Downloaded 6.0.6 tomcat bundle. Same problem with IE7 "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site". No issue with chrome.

I think this is a different problem. If you tested IE on a different machine from Chrome, is your proxy properly set? Is there any message in the tomcat console?
ken ken, modifié il y a 13 années.

New Member Publications: 2 Date d'inscription: 23/03/11 Publications récentes
Hitoshi Ozawa:
ken ken:

I think this is a different problem. If you tested IE on a different machine from Chrome, is your proxy properly set? Is there any message in the tomcat console?

Allow me to clarify, the message only show when I used IE on control panel. The normal portal is fine.
thumbnail

Sorry, but I've only encountered a similar problem when the following properties were not set, but you problem seems different. Has anybody else encountering a similar problem with IE7 and 6.0.6?

redirect.url.security.mode=
redirect.url.domains.allowed=
redirect.url.ips.allowed=
thumbnail
Puneet Malode, modifié il y a 9 années.

New Member Publications: 17 Date d'inscription: 20/07/12 Publications récentes
Hi,
I am also facing same problem in Internet Explorer 8. I am not able to use any of the right side menus in Edit User page. I observed an error message in console, that is

“Object doesn't support this property or method manage?p_p_id=125&p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_state=maximized&p_p_mode=view&doAsGroupId=103617&_125_struts_action=%2Fusers_admin%2Fedit_user&_125_redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fpartners-stage.schneider-electric.com%2FUS%2Fen%2Fgroup%2Fcontrol_panel%2Fmanage%3Fp_p_id%3D125%26p_p_lifecycle%3D0%26p_p_state%3Dmaximized%26p_p_mode%3Dview%26doAsGroupId%3D103617%26_125_usersListView%3Dtree%26_125_doAsGroupId%3D103617%26_125_struts_action%3D%252Fusers_admin%252Fview%26_125_organizationId%3D11886%26_125_cur%3D1%26_125_delta%3D20%26_125_keywords%3D%26_125_advancedSearch%3Dfalse%26_125_andOperator%3Dtrue%26_125_accountId%3D%26_125_programs%3D%26_125_businessType%3D%26_125_city%3D%26_125_countryId%3D0%26_125_name%3D%26_125_parentOrganizationId%3D0%26_125_regionId%3D0%26_125_street%3D%26_125_zip%3D%26_125_orderByCol%3Demail-address%26_125_orderByType%3Dasc%26_125_resetCur%3Dfalse%26_125_cur2%3D1%26_125_delta2%3D20%26_125_userId%3D%26_125_federatedId%3D%26_125_contactStatus%3D%26_125_accountCountry%3D%26_125_accountCity%3D%26_125_accountAddress%3D%26_125_accountState%3D%26_125_accountName%3D%26_125_status%3D0%26_125_emailAddress%3D%26_125_firstName%3D%26_125_lastName%3D%26_125_middleName%3D%26_125_roleId%3D0%26_125_screenName%3D%26_125_userGroupId%3D0&_125_p_u_i_d=1703055, line 31 character 31390”.

Please find my environment details below.

Liferay 6.1.20 EE
JBoss 7.1.1 Server
SQL Server 2008
Internet Explorer 8

Same page I tested in Firefox and Chrome, everything work as expected. But in IE, nothing works.

Thanks & Regards
Puneet Malode