Forums de discussion

Securing Liferay instance with front web servers

thumbnail
Krzysztof Gołębiowski, modifié il y a 8 années.

Securing Liferay instance with front web servers

Liferay Master Publications: 549 Date d'inscription: 25/06/11 Publications récentes
Hello Community,
I would like to post a general question (and maybe start some discussion) about your best practices for configuring front servers in order to secure Liferay server.

I used quite a lot of solutions, varying from hardware-based firewalls to software IPSes that included HTTP traffic filtering. But all those "expensive and enterprise" solutions were usually configured by administrators with appropriate certificates and I had nothing to do with it. But... if you don't have all the corporate security procedures and qualified security staff, then how do you do the security?

In my case, one of the possible options (If we choose to go with Apache HTTPD as front web servers) is using mod_security wth the most recent OWASP Core Rule Set. Unfortunately these rules need to be tuned before they can be used with Liferay - some of them block Liferay core functionalities like adding documents or using Control Panel emoticon Recently I decided to fork the original repository and keep my own synchronized rule set that work with Liferay - https://github.com/kgolebiowski/owasp-modsecurity-crs.

Do you have any experiences with mod_security and OWASP rules? Or maybe you have some other Open Source solutions for providing high-level security?

Regards,
KG
thumbnail
Bijan Vakili, modifié il y a 8 années.

RE: Securing Liferay instance with front web servers

Expert Publications: 375 Date d'inscription: 10/03/09 Publications récentes

if you don't have all the corporate security procedures and qualified security staff, then how do you do the security?

I think I am in the same boat as you; depends on data sensitivity.
Though here are some basic suggestions; that shouldn't take much time to enable:
• In portal.properties, review these props: any property with following words: "allowed", "https", "security", "required"; the default values make a lot of sense; though sometimes folks fiddle with them to work; and forget about the consequences; though I think you knew all these already; just putting out there for anyone new
• Using OpenAM for protection ( Liferay still calls it OpenSSO - but James Falkner has been on top of that) - Liferay has integration with it too; though it uses it just as SSO; so authentication not only thing; I would use it for authorization. At most basic, it lets you do two things: more fine-grained session detail policies, URL access control policies (and a lot more that would take up more time; both to write about and to implement.) I haven't use latest OpenAM; though I'm sure it's kept all the best features.
• Some advanced exception handling code; using AOP doing something like: if an exception occurs, log IP; and if that IP generates some more: ban the IP for temporary time; and instead show them a blank message page; and exponentially increase timer. You can have custom rules for the code too. I haven't done this but I've seen it done; not with Liferay but with other portals; I think it keeps the script kiddies away; though it won't secure application flaws; only way there is to get the EE!
• Getting involved in following effort: Liferay Community Security Team - https://dev.liferay.com/web/community-security-team

In my case, one of the possible options (If we choose to go with Apache HTTPD as front web servers) is using mod_security wth the most recent OWASP Core Rule Set. Unfortunately these rules need to be tuned before they can be used with Liferay - some of them block Liferay core functionalities like adding documents or using Control Panel emoticon Recently I decided to fork the original repository and keep my own synchronized rule set that work with Liferay - https://github.com/kgolebiowski/owasp-modsecurity-crs.

I think this is great project idea; I'll take some time to read about options; and hopefully implement it as well.

Do you have any experiences with mod_security and OWASP rules? Or maybe you have some other Open Source solutions for providing high-level security?

No I haven't worked with that mod quite yet; though as mentioned OpenAM does this: authorization / authentication.