Fórumok

install on ISP provider system

thumbnail
John Williams, módosítva 12 év-val korábban

install on ISP provider system

Junior Member Bejegyzések: 27 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2012.03.06. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hello,
Interesting server, Liferay. I am at the point where I built the bundle, then took the deploy ROOT directory and uploaded it to my ISP system, Tomcat 7, mysql .
Using a portal-ext.properties in the WEB-INF\classes dir :

portal.ctx=/portal
liferay.home=. <---that is a small dot there
jdbc.default.driverClassName=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
jdbc.default.url=jdbc:mysql.....
jdbc.default.username=
jdbc.default.password=

On my ISP(NetworkSolutions), my tomcat apps are in /jserv-app/ so this current build I put it into /jserv-app/portal/
Here are some different scenarios that occur when I start the JVM ,

For liferay.home=. , I get :
(also tried extending permissions of the jserv-apps\logs dir)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: ./logs/liferay.2012-03-14.log (Permission denied)

When, instead of liferay.home, I use resource.repositories.root=/jserv-app/portal/liferay I get :
(I created the directories and the log file ahead of time with abundant permissions)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /jserv-app/portal/liferay/logs/liferay.2012-03-13.log (No such file or directory)

For liferay.home=/jserv-app/portal, I get :
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /jserv-app/portal/logs/liferay.2012-03-14.log (No such file or directory)

I've lost track of what all I have tried, but none will allow the log file to work correctly. Any ideas from anyone on this log file issue and any other setup issues I may
run into after this one, on an ISP tomcat install?

Also, when I use the mysql create sql code from the download file form Liferay, it seems that the utf8 char set for the database, uses 3 bytes for characters, and
a my6sql index is only allowed to be max 1000 bytes, so I have changed several table column lengths to get the SQL code found in the create mysql file I downloaded, to execute on my mysql database. Is there a way around this other than editing individual column sizes ? My ISP does not allow using any other char sets, or, has numerous char sets listed , but so many names, and I don't know if one could possible be a 1 byte char set.
thumbnail
Patrick Wagner, módosítva 12 év-val korábban

RE: install on ISP provider system

Junior Member Bejegyzések: 27 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2012.03.06. Legújabb bejegyzések
Does anybody have a clue about this ? I am trying to start up on an ISP machine .

Just went and tried starting the JVM after changing the portal-ext.properties file :
portal.ctx=/portal
liferay.home=./portal
jdbc.default.url=jdbc:mysql:......
jdbc.default.username=
jdbc.default.password=

started jvm :
Loading jar:file:/
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, módosítva 12 év-val korábban

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 14914 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2006.09.02. Legújabb bejegyzések
Deploying Liferay to an existing tomcat is more than just pushing the ROOT.war file. If you compare a vanilla tomcat 7 directory to the tomcat 7 directory provided in a bundle, you'll see the differences that must be pushed on the ISP side.

There is documentation (although I don't have the link handy) somewhere on the site explaining how to deploy Liferay to an existing tomcat...
thumbnail

Hi, thanks for jogging my memory to go back to look at the vanilla dir. I looked at it and of course, there is the tomcat-7.0.25\webapps\ROOT where the portal shows up
after building it. Also, above the tomcat-7.0.25\ dir it looks like, as per documentation, that liferay home is there, it has /data /deploy and /logs in there .
Now back to my ISP tomcat server. All I get is the one dir that all tomcat applications go under, and they call it /jserv-app , which is where I put the Liferay build, I take from ROOT, and call it /portal instead.

so in the portal-ext.properties file when I use :
resource.repositories.root=jserv-app/portal
liferay.home=jserv-app/portal

I get this permission denied :
log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
java.io.FileNotFoundException: jserv-app/portal/logs/liferay.2012-03-14.log (Permission denied)......

So, I think a tomcat process sees the jserv-app/portal/logs directory, it just cannot write to it even though I have set all appropriate permissions.

I've tried severl Liferay homes and repos roots but none seem to allow writing. I wonder if it is possible to turn off all external log file writing ?
Tried several possibilities with these :
resource.repositories.root=
liferay.home=
I guess my ISP is not allowing writing by the tomcat process that Liferay is in ?
thumbnail

Just tried this basic file write from inside a servlet and got this error :

BufferedWriter bw = new BufferedWriter( new FileWriter("dit.log",true));
bw.write("this is my log !!");
bw.write("{" + new Date(System.currentTimeMillis()) + "}");
bw.close();

I got this error :
java.io.FileNotFoundException: dit.log (Permission denied)
java.io.FileOutputStream.openAppend(Native Method)
java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:

But the error is not in the tomcat log file, it comes up when I call the servlet with IE internet explorer.

Gosh, it seems I can't write anything !
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, módosítva 12 év-val korábban

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 1519 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2006.08.07. Legújabb bejegyzések
Using a hosting provider that doesn't support Liferay especially when you have to use their configured app server can be really painful. If you want to find some alternatives there's a wiki article that lists some hosting providers that either support Liferay or generic java hosting.
thumbnail

Actually, I got rid of my one issue with log writing, now I need to check on LiferayHome. Oh, wait, as I recall , when I started Liferay on my local computer tomcat, some directories were created in Liferay Home. And I don't think, again, writing,, directory creation, is possible from a Tomcat process as far as I can tell, on my ISPs system. I've got to find out where I can write files, make dirs at least in my ISPs tomcat ap dir it gives me. It gives me jserv-app/ where the root of all web applications go. So I thought I should be able to at least write to the root dir of a web ap, which I haven't been able to do yet. Hmmmm. Then if I could , I would set Liferay Home to that.
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 14914 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2006.09.02. Legújabb bejegyzések
That's a clear sign that you're headed for trouble.

The hot deploy process will want to deploy portlets, hooks, etc. in /jserv-app so, if you cannot write there, hot deploy will fail.

I'd go w/ Mika's recommendation and find a Liferay-compatible provider and save yourself all of these headaches...
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, módosítva 12 év-val korábban

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 7942 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2010.03.24. Legújabb bejegyzések
As David replied, you're not going to make it with that provider. Liferay 6.1.0 GA1 tries to create a portal-setup-wizard.properties in a parent directory of tomcat too. It also seems mysql is restricted too. Since you don't have permission to write to a directory, you'll have to setup Lucene and Document and Media Library to save to a database too.
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 7942 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2010.03.24. Legújabb bejegyzések
I personally didn't have any problem installing Liferay on Jelastic (http://jelastic.com/) on their Tomcat, so if the condition is right, it's possible.
Some users were having problem installing Liferay on some provider with their "Free" accounts because of memory limitation. The limitation
was coming mainly from MySQL taking too much memory. I think they uploaded their account by paying.
thumbnail

Hi again,
Just finished the testing to write in my ISP's directory where the root of all of my Tomcat applications are, which is jserv-app/ and it was successful. So. I see settings in the properties files for setting the deploy/ dir location data/ dir etc, everything seems to be based on Liferay home. So, I am going to test some more on various home settings. I did read in the documentation for Liferay, where it mentions placing items into a directory that is located above the directory that Tomcat itself is actually installed in. Seems that may be affected by the home setting, I hope so. Here's all the settings I pulled from the props file for the ext props file :
I noticed it has this "base.path' setting in there that shows the path where I compiled it on my system. Anyone know if that affects anything.
I saw jealastic's site already. It says it's free right now, in the beta stage, with upto 1GB. But, I want to fooll with the one I've got.
base.path=/C:/00eclipse/wk3.6EE64/portal-trunk/portal-impl/classes

portal.ctx=/portal
resource.repositories.root=jserv-app/portal
liferay.home=jserv-app/portal
jdbc.default.url=jdbc:mysql://mysqlv102:3306/lportal2?createDatabaseIfNotExist=true&amp;useUnicode=true&amp;characterEncoding=utf-8
jdbc.default.username=lportal2
jdbc.default.password=Password111111

company.default.home.url=portal
#lucene.dir=${liferay.home}/data/lucene/
# jcr.jackrabbit.repository.root=${liferay.home}/data/jackrabbit
# dl.store.file.system.root.dir=${liferay.home}/data/document_library
# auto.deploy.dest.dir=
# auto.deploy.default.dest.dir=../webapps
#auto.deploy.tomcat.dest.dir=${catalina.base}/webapps

#
# Set this to true if plugins should automatically copy Commons Logging.
#
# auto.deploy.copy.commons.logging=true

#
# Set this to true if plugins should automatically copy Log4j.
#
# auto.deploy.copy.log4j=true
#
# Set the path to Tomcat's configuration directory. This property is used to
# auto deploy exploded WARs. Tomcat context XML fiels found in the auto
# deploy directory will be copied to Tomcat's configuration directory. The
# context XML file must have a docBase attribute that points to a valid WAR
# directory.
#
# auto.deploy.tomcat.conf.dir=../conf/Catalina/localhost

#
# Set the path to Tomcat's global class loader. This property is only used
# by Tomcat in a standalone environment.
#
# auto.deploy.tomcat.lib.dir=../common/lib/ext

#
# Set this property to true to validate portlet.xml against the portlet
# schema.
#
# portlet.xml.validate=true

#
# Liferay can use C3PO, DBCP, or Tomcat for connection pooling. See
# com.liferay.portal.dao.jdbc.util.DataSourceFactoryBean for the actual
# implementation. It is important to understand the strengths and weaknesses
# of each provider so that you can choose the best one that fits your
# deployment scenario. Provider specific properties can also be passed along
# directly to the provider. For example, the property
# "jdbc.default.acquireIncrement" is read by C3PO, and the property
# "jdbc.default.maxActive" is read by DBCP.
#
# The default provider is C3PO.
#
# jdbc.default.liferay.pool.provider=c3po
#jdbc.default.liferay.pool.provider=dbcp
#jdbc.default.liferay.pool.provider=tomcat

#
# Specify any database vendor specific settings.
#

#
# MySQL
#

#
# Set the MySQL engine type. InnoDB is the recommended engine because it
# provides transactional integrity.
#
database.mysql.engine=InnoDB

##
## Company
##

company.default.name=Liferay

#
# This sets the default web id. Omniadmin users must belong to the company
# with this web id.
#
company.default.web.id=liferay.com

#
# This sets the default home URL of the portal.
#
company.default.home.url=/web/guest

#
# This sets the default locale of the portal.
#
company.default.locale=en_US

#
# This sets the default time zone of the portal.
#
company.default.time.zone=GMT

##
## Schema
##

#
# Set this to true to automatically create tables and populate with default
# data if the database is empty.
#
schema.run.enabled=true

#
# Set this to to true to populate with the minimal amount of data. Set this
# to false to populate with a larger amount of sample data.
#
schema.run.minimal=true

base.path=/C:/00eclipse/wk3.6EE64/portal-trunk/portal-impl/classes
thumbnail

still no log files showing up anywhere though. Oh wait, I changed an ext properties file parameter related to log files , I forgot, so, maybe change that back and do a restart.
thumbnail
Arno Broekhof, módosítva 12 év-val korábban

Junior Member Bejegyzések: 42 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2011.10.18. Legújabb bejegyzések
The error is thrown because of an out of memory exception:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

can you raise you're MaxPermSize with you're ISP account?
thumbnail

There's more than just those things. There's <tomcat>/lib/ext which is an extra directory of jars that Liferay uses and it is also added to the catalina.properties file (or some such catalina file).

Writing logs, etc. inside of the webapps folder is not a good thing, as it is possible to access said files directly via a URL.

There are directories that should go outside of the webapps (or jserv-app) directory, including the logs, data, and deploy folders.

Mostly you're going to have fun playing w/ portal-ext.properties and system-ext.properties to undo many of the paths that are defined in portal.properties and system.properties to relocate them based upon the base path you have to start from.

But I cannot believe that any ISP allowing you to host apps under tomcat does not also provide directories for logging, etc., as they wouldn't want to fill up that filesystem space w/ disposable content. Otherwise you could end up breaking everyone else's apps in the process...
thumbnail

Hi again David,
Everything is working on my local Tomcat installation. That is, I pulled merely the ROOT dir from the build and the tomcat lib\ext jars, and moved them all to my own tomcat install and everything works fine. So I am assuming the catalina config files in my own tomcat install are untouched by liferay. Since I didn't bring over from the bundle, build tomcat dirs any catalina config files at all. So, it seems that my ISP catalina config files which can't be touced, that Liferay doesn't need access to them anyway. I did copy all the things from the /ext dir yesterday, so that part is at least ok. My ISP leaves out needed dirs within the TOMCAT app-serv/ structure I have had to add for other things. I will have a look at Liferay docs, and the properties files.
Still curious about the creation scripts for mysql that come with Liferay. When I try to run them on the ISP mysql, I keep getting messages to the effect , "1000 byes max for index...." So, I shortened column lengths on a few Liferay database tables to accomodate the max. However, I did not get this error on my local mysql database. I just cut off column lengths so combined keys used for an index did not exceed 1000 bytes, given a utf8 char is 3 bytes. Thanks !
thumbnail

Wonder how much jealastic.com will end up costing when it is out of Beta stage ? I found a Liferay stack also on Amazon Web Services, a bonami image. It's free for the first year, need a credit card to sign-up, but it is Amazon. Can someone, anyone, give me an idea of how to "turn-off" some functions in Liferay, so my build will come up on my Networksolutions.com ISP without issueing all the permgen not enough memory, out of memory errors ? I'm curious, I can't believe Liferay needs so much memory at any one time , so much that it bogs down the java jvm ? Help, please ?
thumbnail

Do you have MySQL on the same server? That'll eat up a lot of memory. If it's just a demo system, it may help if you stick to the bundled hsql.

I usually delete all portlets except the ROOT.war and add ones that's needed for the situation.
thumbnail

Hi,
My ISP provider has a control panel to create mysql databases with and you get a resulting IP address to go to and log into it. And a mysql JDBC connect string to use in code. I don't know where my ISP puts the actual mysql engine at, hmmm. You know, I have been reading articles on the internet about tuning up Liferay, and somebody said that "turning-off" portlets will save some start up time but not much on the memory. I did everything in the article : http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/1071674/Slimming+Liferay+Portal and to no avail, I still have the perm-gen space. Oh, I noticed later, after reading the article, and trying everything, the one comment at the bottom of the page, a person , says that "it is quite insufficient", referring to the tune ups described within the article, ha ha. The last thing I discovered was to turn off hibernate caching in sys properties but haven't done that yet. Somebody said that you really can't do much to affect the amount of memory Liferay requires without major changes, it sounded like they were meaning. So I'm gonna go back to jealastic now. At jealastic.com I was trying to upload the war I created after building Liferay from source, however, it's to big , beyond upload limits ! So I have to figure out how to get it uploaded in pieces. Or just use the "canned" Liferay .war that you download from Liferay. At Amazon Web Services you have to connect to your Liferay image instance with Windows remote desktop which is not working so well from my end.
And of course I found this :
TOP TWELVE WAYS TO SPEED
UP YOUR LIFERAY
DEPLOYMENT
http://www.liferay.com/documents/14/8440796/Top%20Twelve%20Ways%20to%20Speed%20Up%20Your%20Liferay%20Deployment
thumbnail

You may know this already but beside the Liferay war, you have to upload Liferay dependencies files too.
I was able to setup Liferay on jelastic in less than 10 minutes but to use MySQL there, it's necessary to get
additional memory from them.
thumbnail

Hi, Note: for a long story made short, please look at my latest deploy log file from jelastic's tomcat deploy , below
Jelastic is interesting. I have been working with it. At first I tried uploading the build with some variations from the instructions I saw for installing the downloadable war from Liferay. That did not work. Now, I am trying to go exactly by the given instrucitons. At first I terminated the tomcat/mysql environment and created a new environment with only tomcat 6. I have uploaded the Liferay war version 6.0.6, instead of the larger version 6.1 that Jelastic won't upload because of its larger size. I put the /ext jar libs into the Tomcat lib directory on jelastic and created the portal properties ext file in home . But , the web interface keeps hanging up and haven't been able to deploy this way yet. When it was hanging up initially, I could terminate the environment and start over, now that is not even working. Maybe Jelastic.com is busy today. Oh, and the Jelastic web interface has completely stopped "coming up" at all in Firefox on my machine, so I went to Safari. But still the Tomcat directory tree won't show up very often, it just hangs up when you click to refresh or even to start it up for the first time. Guess maybe a lot of users today. Or at times. But I tried to get the Liferay 6.1 build to work about 100 times. I trimmed down the resulting build war file to Jelastic acceptable size, by moving jar libs(including jars from the /ext dir) out of the war into a temp dir on my computer, and created the necessary dirs under webapps/ in Tomcat on jelastic, and uploaded the libs I had put into the temp/ directory. Then I uploaded the remaining Liferay 6.1 war and deployed it but never could get a successful deploy . I put the portal ext props file under home on jelastic's tomcat directory also. Never could get the 6.1 build to deploy. So I am falling back to just , the three or four steps , mentioned above, put the portal ext props file(has only .root path, no mysql anymore either) in Jelastic's Tomcat's home/ directory, upload the ext/ jar libs from the community edition to jelastic's tomcat's lib dir and then upload the Liferay 6.0.6 war and deploy it. <--Haven't deployed this way yet cause the jelastic web interface keeps hanging up and refuses to work in Firefox, only Safari, or google chrome. <-- I did these steps before with version 6.0.6 however I was putting all the libs under WEB-INF/lib and could not get a successful deploy. Maybe web traffic related. Either that or jelastic is fed up with my experimentations or has limited my resources or something ! Or they see all my activity and are purposely slowing me down thinking I would purchase more ram or something ! Oh, no, I speak too soon, now I see in my other browser tab, the jelastic web interface is finally responding ! So I can finish trying to deploy the 10 minute approach ! No, I spoke too soon. When I uploaded the simple portal ext prop file safari jumps to taking up 95% of my CPU ! Now Safari is up to %99 of my CPU ! And performace show %100 of CPU usage ! But the Jelastic interface responded that time. But the file I just browsed to and clicked to upload to Jelastic's tomcat's home/ directory, is not showing it's there ! Oh, I uploaded again, and that time it worked. Oh well. Web traffic probably.
Yes, I am doing it in exact sequence as per the online instructions, by uploading the Liferay "ext/" jar libs into Jelastic's tomcat's lib dir, first , before uploading the war. What difference that makes, who knows. Success, the libs are now there, on Jelastic's tomcat's lib dir. Now for the war ! Click ! That starts the safari upload, and Safar is back to eating up 97% of my CPU immediately. Ok, I'm gonna wait , this time, while jelastic pauses during upload, and not start another upload of the war thinking that the first upload has stalled. Ok, the war is successfully uploaded ! Now being deployed. Success ! The first part of the log file looks good. Better than any so far. Oh, wait, Success ! doesn't necessarily mean Liferay is finished deploying . I'll have to keep refreshing the log file to see what happens.

Well, here's the log *****************************************************************************deploye Liferay version 6.0.6 on Jelastic
NFO: Deploying web application archive ROOT.war
Mar 17, 2012 9:41:13 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext addApplicationListener
INFO: The listener "com.liferay.portal.spring.context.PortalContextLoaderListener" is already configured for this context. The duplicate definition has been ignored.
Mar 17, 2012 9:41:13 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext addApplicationListener
INFO: The listener "com.liferay.portal.servlet.PortalSessionListener" is already configured for this context. The duplicate definition has been ignored.
INFO: The listener "com.liferay.portal.kernel.servlet.PortletSessionListenerManager" is already configured for this context. The duplicate definition has been ignored.
INFO: The listener "com.liferay.portal.kernel.servlet.SerializableSessionAttributeListener" is already configured for this context. The duplicate definition has been ignored.
INFO: The listener "com.liferay.portal.servlet.SharedSessionAttributeListener" is already configured for this context. The duplicate definition has been ignored.
Loading jar:file:/opt/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib/portal-impl.jar!/system.properties
Loading jar:file:/opt/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib/portal-impl.jar!/portal.properties
Loading file:/opt/tomcat/temp/portal-ext.properties
21:41:42,273 INFO [DialectDetector:69] Determining dialect for HSQL Database Engine 1
21:41:42,283 WARN [DialectDetector:84] Liferay is configured to use Hypersonic as its database. Do NOT use Hypersonic in production. Hypersonic is an embedded database useful for development and demo'ing purposes. The database settings can be changed in portal.properties.
21:41:42,482 INFO [DialectDetector:49] Using dialect org.hibernate.dialect.HSQLDialect
21:41:52,978 INFO [PortalImpl:278] Global lib directory /opt/tomcat/lib/
21:41:53,013 INFO [PortalImpl:298] Portal lib directory /opt/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib/
Starting Liferay Portal Community Edition 6.0.6 CE (Bunyan / Build 6006 / February 17, 2011)
21:42:44,706 ERROR [JDBCExceptionReporter:101] Table not found in statement [select lockimpl0_.lockId as lockId18_, lockimpl0_.uuid_ as uuid2_18_, lockimpl0_.companyId as companyId18_, lockimpl0_.userId as userId18_, lockimpl0_.userName as userName18_, lockimpl0_.createDate as createDate18_, lockimpl0_.className as className18_, lockimpl0_.key_ as key8_18_, lockimpl0_.owner as owner18_, lockimpl0_.inheritable as inherit10_18_, lockimpl0_.expirationDate as expirat11_18_ from Lock_ lockimpl0_ where (lockimpl0_.expirationDate<? )]
21:42:46,680 WARN [ReleaseLocalServiceImpl:143] Table not found in statement [select buildNumber from Release_ where releaseId = ?]
21:42:46,695 INFO [ReleaseLocalServiceImpl:84] Create tables and populate with default data
21:42:48,682 INFO [BaseDB:400] Database supports case sensitive queries
21:42:49,780 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyProcessSuite
21:42:49,781 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyProperties
21:42:49,783 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyMySQL
21:42:49,783 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyCounter
21:42:49,828 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyUUID
21:42:49,831 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyRole
21:42:49,835 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyBlogs
21:42:50,005 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyBookmarks
21:42:50,010 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyCalendar
21:42:50,015 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyDocumentLibrary
21:42:50,029 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyGroup
21:42:50,052 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyImageGallery
21:42:50,056 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyJournal
21:42:50,078 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyLayout
21:42:50,082 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyMessageBoards
21:42:50,130 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyOrganization
21:42:50,131 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifySocial
21:42:50,132 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyUser
21:42:50,173 INFO [VerifyProcess:76] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyWiki
21:43:07,122 INFO [PluginPackageUtil:1109] Reloading repositories
21:43:28,450 INFO [HotDeployUtil:69] Initializing hot deploy manager 726750480
21:43:28,654 INFO [AutoDeployDir:84] Creating missing directory /opt/tomcat/temp/liferay/deploy
21:43:28,655 INFO [AutoDeployDir:105] Auto deploy scanner started for /opt/tomcat/temp/liferay/deploy
Mar 17, 2012 9:43:44 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext addApplicationListener
INFO: The listener "listeners.ContextListener" is already configured for this context. The duplicate definition has been ignored.
Mar 17, 2012 9:43:44 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext addApplicationListener
INFO: The listener "listeners.SessionListener" is already configured for this context. The duplicate definition has been ignored.
Mar 17, 2012 9:43:45 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
Mar 17, 2012 9:43:45 PM org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-8009
Mar 17, 2012 9:43:45 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 164776 ms

****************************Still will not "come up"

This was in my protal ext props file : resource.repositories.root=${user.home}/liferay
And,I see where the Liferay hom directory was created in jelastic's tomcat's home/ directory

**Oh, I just found this note : NOTE you may have to restart tomcat many times, or add *.jar file manually one by one to make it perfectly work.
thumbnail

Okay, I'm gonna try Liferay version 5 something and see if it takes any less memory. I really just want some type of java environemtn that
I can build and change code around and re-deploy it all the time. Or, if the permgen memory related error upon tomcat deployment is even
lack of memory or is it actually something I have not configured right ? Should deploy easily, right away I think. But my firefox has quit working right for anything,
even after a reboot. Can't click on links and go into them, missing buttons.
thumbnail

Hello,
Interesting server, Liferay. I am at the point where I built the bundle, then took the deploy ROOT directory and uploaded it to my ISP system, Tomcat 7, mysql .
Using a portal-ext.properties in the WEB-INF\classes dir :

portal.ctx=/portal
liferay.home=. <---that is a small dot there
jdbc.default.url=jdbc:mysql.....
jdbc.default.username=
jdbc.default.password=

On my ISP(NetworkSolutions), my tomcat apps are in /jserv-app/ so this current build I put it into /jserv-app/portal/
Here are some different scenarios that occur when I start the JVM ,

For liferay.home=. , I get :
(also tried extending permissions of the jserv-apps\logs dir)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: ./logs/liferay.2012-03-14.log (Permission denied)

When, instead of liferay.home, I use resource.repositories.root=/jserv-app/portal/liferay I get :
(I created the directories and the log file ahead of time with abundant permissions)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /jserv-app/portal/liferay/logs/liferay.2012-03-13.log (No such file or directory)

For liferay.home=/jserv-app/portal, I get :
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /jserv-app/portal/logs/liferay.2012-03-14.log (No such file or directory)

I've lost track of what all I have tried, but none will allow the log file to work correctly. Any ideas from anyone on this log file issue and any other setup issues I may
run into after this one, on an ISP tomcat install?

Also, when I use the mysql create sql code from the download file form Liferay, it seems that the utf8 char set for the database, uses 3 bytes for characters, and
a my6sql index is only allowed to be max 1000 bytes, so I have changed several table column lengths to get the SQL code found in the create mysql file I downloaded, to execute on my mysql database. Is there a way around this other than editing individual column sizes ? My ISP does not allow using any other char sets, or, has numerous char sets listed , but so many names, and I don't know if one could possible be a 1 byte char set.
thumbnail

So, I commented out all the servlets in the Liferay web.xml except the Main Servlet, and commented out all filters. Listeners were left untouched, as well as all else, and on my local machine everything starts up and deploys fine. However on the ISP machine, still getting the "permgen something out of memory", concurrent execution exception messages.... Hmmmmm
thumbnail

So, is there anybody that could "point me" in the right direction as far as , where to go within the java code of the main server of Liferay to perform orchestrated changes that
will result in fewer bytes of RAM being consumed by this Liferay portal, so it will work on more RAM starved systems ? Or necessary steps to cause Liferay to consume less memory so it will run on systems with less RAM available ? Thanks !!
thumbnail

I recommend that you have sometbody else to setup Liferay on ISP for you.
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 1519 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2006.08.07. Legújabb bejegyzések
PermGen is where the loaded code lives so it's really hard to slim that down. It's easier to get a hosting provider that actually gives you enough heap and permgen space.
thumbnail

Thanks for the answers. I contacted my ISP, and was reminded, as I have heard in the past, that I have a "shared" hosting system. I have gotten around
problems in the past with regards to that. They offer a VPS upgrade where I would have exclusive control over installed programs. It would still be interesting to know
if anyone out there has gotten Liferay to work on one of these shared environment ISPs and how they went about it. I guess it's not only the fact that Liferay writes to various directories that is an issue for my ISP, of course as you mentioned, the permgen space also.
thumbnail

Well, a thought. Oh, hmmm. It just occurred to me. I followed the steps at jelastic.com to load the Liferay 6.0.6 and it still would not come up. Jelastic sells extra
memory if you need it and I highly suspect that is what is going on, I'm gonna try it again, being more careful about it and not doing any extraneous testing steps, as I go along. My ISP definetly runs out of memory for Liferay upon deployment. And, at Amazon Web Services, I tried uploading Liferay's 6.0.6 war with dependencies from the community edition's Tomcat lib/ext/ directory, and, I added those dependencies, jars, to that war in the WEB-INF/lib directory, and the portal-ext.properties in the WEB-INF/classes/ directory as usual. That would not come up either. Now, I see
you can hook up a bonami Liferay 6 amazon image to your Amazon Web Services account and bring that up. Actually, I already knew that, and tried it to no avail, with the Windows remote desk-top before I discovered the "Elastic Beanstalk" at AWS, which is an alternate method I assume. So is the Liferay 6 amazon image, bonami, some special concoction of Liferay that Amazon created, and can I use that in my low memory situations ?? Gonna, try that right now.
Oh, here are a couple of useful links to Liferay docs that I didn't come across quickly, initially, in my first discovery and perusal of Liferay :
http://docs.liferay.com/portal/
https://github.com/liferay/liferay-docs
thumbnail

So much for Amazon Web Services. I've loaded all of their "stacks", "instances", etc. and then when I go to the public DNS name they give you,
it seems to always be hung up. Oh, well. They probably want me to purchase more memory or something. I got the "Bitnami image" for Liferay from http://bitnami.org/stacks, and started the local install on my windows pc, and well, that was a while, several minutes ago, and the progress indicator is still about 1/4 way across , is still, reeling off a ga-zillion files it's installing. Still testing, experimenting with it. It's been interesting so far....Bitnami Liferay is done, and here's it's portal-ext.properties file :

portal.ctx=/liferay
auto.deploy.dest.dir=C:/PROGRA~1/BITNAM~1/APACHE~1/webapps
auto.deploy.deploy.dir=C:/PROGRA~1/BITNAM~1/apps/liferay/data/deploy
lucene.dir=C:/PROGRA~1/BITNAM~1/apps/liferay/data/lucene
jcr.jackrabbit.repository.root=C:/PROGRA~1/BITNAM~1/apps/liferay/data/jackrabbit
resource.repositories.root=C:/PROGRA~1/BITNAM~1/apps/liferay/data

jdbc.default.url=jdbc:mysql://localhost:3307/bitnami_liferay?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=UTF-8&useFastDateParsing=false
jdbc.default.username=user33
jdbc.default.password=asdfrr4344

include-and-override=C:/PROGRA~1/BITNAM~1/apps/liferay/data/portal-setup-wizard.properties

browser.launcher.url=
thumbnail

Hello,
This Bitnami Liferay is looking really good ! I'm excited ! Still working on installing it on my local machine. When I called my ISP, I mentioned the permgen out of memory
and they reminded me I have the "unlimited" package, meaning disk usage, DNS names, memory(?) too ? It sounded like that is what they meant, so , maybe some other misconfiguration I made before I might catch now, by examining this Bitnami stack I hope, and avoid the permgen error I have been getting when uploading to my ISP tomcat. But everything comes up locally and with no errrors, (not too many!) even after all the changes and adjustments I am making, looks like a robust system here. Can't wait to get this baby up on my ISP to , and give her a whirl ! Only, thing is, I don't have the actual code, java, for this particular build, unless it's just Liferay 6.1 and if I could just compile classes locally from a downloaded source of a Liferay 6.1, make changes, compile it, and put the resultant class in with this Bitnami build ? Or maybe, I'll just attempt to config a downloaded , "fresh" Liferay 6.1 build, to be like this cool looking Bitnami stack ? ! Is there Anybody with an opinion on that ? Thanks !
thumbnail

Well, I'm ecstatic ! I just uploaded the Liferay bonami stack , war, with my configuration adjustments I made applied, into my ISP's tomcat and it has deployed ! Indications are that the JVM has not "crashed" as of yet, as it
usually did on all of my other Liferay deployments to this particular ISP ! That is, my test servlet that is always running still is responding ! Oh my gosh ! Almost can't wait to go see if this Liferay has installed its necessary files and directories from the paths I now am using in the portal-ext.properties.
thumbnail

Well, the logs say it did not deploy. And none of the directories or files it created locally upon the first start, are there when I start it on this ISP tomcat,either. Darn.
. . . . . . . . .
INFO: Deploying web application archive liferay.war
Mar 24, 2012 1:52:16 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal
SEVERE: Error listenerStart
Mar 24, 2012 1:52:16 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal
SEVERE: Context [/liferay] startup failed due to previous errors
. . . . . . .
thumbnail

Oh, I think I found the answer to that last log listener no start condition . Oh, and that's the same issue I encountered before but forgpt about. Back to it later on.
thumbnail

Could anyone guess where I would put a catalina.sh file with a JAVA_OPTS.... in it to increase my ISP tomcat memory ? I know the php.ini file to increase memory
for that goes in the cgi-bin/ directory. I only have a webapps/ directory to put my tomcat web aps, like Liferay, into. I tried creating a bin/ dir above that with the
catalina.sh file. And putting it into cgi-bin. Thought maybe someone else may have encountered this issue at there similar ISP. I am getting log files written by
Liferay now, before getting the permgen memory space error, which incidentally is what is contained in the log file ! But it is nice to finally see the log file. I set the memory to 256MB for Liferay in a catalina.sh file and a .htaccess(memory limit for number of open html php files) file. I put duplicates of these files in several places to try it before
starting the JVM again. Now, I am wondering if the 256MB limit was "read" by my tomcat and therefore it could write the log file this time before crashing giving
a perm-gem memory space error ? Or, if the log file was there before I played with the memory limit, I didn't notice !
thumbnail

No, it's writing log files now, so the missing log files I had before was part of the mis-configuration I was using.
I erased all the catalina.sh and .htaccess files and restarted and still have a log file .
thumbnail

Well, here's the deal. My ISP provides 128 MB memory, however, that's only guarunteed, apparently, to PHP applications. The default PHP memory allocation is
32MB, and can be set via PHP.ini to up to 128MB. The memory that Tomcat is allowed, they said, varies due to system load, I guess that means everybody on the
system. And that variable memory never seems to be enough to deploy Liferay, which I heard needed 75MB of memory. I can upgrade to the ISPs VPS and
get 512MB memory for everthing I suppose.
Does anybody know how to run the Tomcat web applications through PHP to make use of the 128MB memory that my PHP can adjust to, if that is even possible ?
Or, even , is there a main servlet for Liferay that can be used on low memory systems ? Or how plausible is it to make java code changes, to the Liferay main servlet
to lessen the memory it uses, or change how it uses memory ? Ha ha ha, I bet that's really a chore !
thumbnail

Just got Liferay running on Amazon Web Services though. I had to use these instructions, and follow it more closely :
http://wiki.bitnami.org/index.php?title=cloud/How_to_start_a_BitNami_Machine_Image_%28AMI%29%3F

And, Amazon gives new signers 1 year free to try it or whatever. That's 750 hours per month free. If you start/stop an instance that kills an hour though.
I gave my credit card info and it was quick to sign up.
Oh, and this totally "COOL" 3rd party video on how to set of some odd application goes through a lot of usage steps
for AWS :
http://www.colabrativ.com/tutorial-on-setup-of-iexperiment-on-aws-1/
http://www.colabrativ.com/tutorial-on-setup-of-iexperiment-on-aws-2/
thumbnail

PHP can't run tomcat or any other java applications even though you can run php applications in Liferay. Running Liferay or any portal for that matter in such low memory is just not possible. Coll that you got it working in AWS and that they offering free cpu time. You really need a hosting provider that understands java application needs and gives enough memory to run your app properly. Even 512mb for a VPS is not enough because you need also memory for the OS and database. I would say that 1GB ram for a VPS is the absolute minimum to allow for large enough heap for Java.
thumbnail

Mika thanks !
That is good information and it helps a lot ! Yeah, I am having an interesting time with AWS, Amazon Web services, it's ok. About my previous exposure to the www.jelastic.com, it was okay too . I just today used Norton utils to clean out all browser caches, etc, and my mozilla is working properly now. That was probably the cause of most of the issues I had when I couldn't get mozilla , Firefox to work properly with jelastic.com. Jelastic has a nice interface, and I would highly suggest anyone that is looking into cloud computing to definetly check it out. Although I did have a great deal of success with jelastic. com when I used it, even though my browser on my computer had the wrong setups, etc., totally my doing. Finally, I located this one project that, besides other systems, gives step-by-step instructions on using AWS, in general, which I
found to be very beneficial, for AWS api usage, and cloud automation : http://code.google.com/p/xebia-france/