Fórumok

Liferay starts, but Eclipse/LDS doesn't think it has

thumbnail
Bob McDermott, módosítva 11 év-val korábban

Liferay starts, but Eclipse/LDS doesn't think it has

Junior Member Bejegyzések: 34 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2012.05.01. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi All,

I've connected Liferay Developer Studio (LDS) to my local Liferay installation. When I choose to start the server from within LDS, the server actually starts (console activity is normal - INFO: Server startup in 84574 ms - and I can connect to the portal from outside of LDS), but the status in LDS continues to be "starting". Eventually LDS times out the server start operation and shuts the server down with an error message that the operation has timed out.

Here is the error:

"Server Liferay v6.1 EE Server (Tomcat 7) at localhost was unable to start within 900 seconds. If the server requires more time, try increasing the timeout in the server editor."

Any ideas why LDS doesn't think the server has successfully started?

Here are the versions of the products:

Liferay 6.1.1 EE
Liferay Developer Studio 1.5.2.v201203030830

Thanks,
Bob
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, módosítva 11 év-val korábban

RE: Liferay starts, but Eclipse/LDS doesn't think it has

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 7942 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2010.03.24. Legújabb bejegyzések
Check if there is some error during the startup. Liferay sometimes ignores startup errors (like not being able to connect to a database) and just continues with a startup script saying liferay has started when it actually haven't. I sometimes have this problem when I startup liferay when database is shutdown.
thumbnail

Junior Member Bejegyzések: 34 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2012.05.01. Legújabb bejegyzések
Thanks for the reply Hitoshi. Liferay starts without issue, and runs fine until the eclipse timeout occurs and shuts it down. I can even connect to the portal from a browser outside of eclipse for the period before eclipse shuts it down. The messages in the eclipse console are the same as when I start the life ray instance outside of eclipse. When I start it outside of eclipse the server stays up and acts fine.

Any idea what eclipse uses to determine that the server has been started?

Thanks!!!
thumbnail
Gregory Amerson, módosítva 11 év-val korábban

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 1123 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2010.02.16. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi Bob,

Studio will poll the localhost:8080 port waiting for a connection response before it believes the server has started. Do you have any special tomcat configuration or host file setup? Could tomcat be binding on a alternative hostname or alternative port? Could there be any firewall issues? Perhaps the LiferayDeveloperStudio.exe process is prevented from making local network connections?
thumbnail

Thanks for the reply Gregory.

Liferay is starting on localhost:8080. I can even connect to it using just that url from a browser for the short time it stays up.

Your thought about a firewall or other restriction on the LiferayDeveloperStudio.exe is a good one. I have shut down the McAfee virus scan process as well as any access protection processes, but still no luck. Same behavior.

Does anyone know of any other ways to restrict a process in Windows 7 that I could check?

Is there some kind of logging in eclipse that might give me a better indication of why that call is failing?

Thanks again for the reply.
Bob
thumbnail

I just remembered that Eclipse prompts me for a user name and password when the server is starting. What user name and password is this? I used Liferay admin credentials and it seemed to accept them, but than I used a meaningless combination and it accepted them as well, so I'm wondering if this is my issue.

Thanks,
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 1123 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2010.02.16. Legújabb bejegyzések
Bob McDermott:
I just remembered that Eclipse prompts me for a user name and password when the server is starting. What user name and password is this? I used Liferay admin credentials and it seemed to accept them, but than I used a meaningless combination and it accepted them as well, so I'm wondering if this is my issue.

Thanks,

Do you have HTTP Auth enabled on your tomcat config by any chance? Obviously if the browser doesn't prompt for localhost:8080 then it shouldn't either.
thumbnail

RE: Liferay starts, but Eclipse/LDS doesn't think it has (Válasz)

OK, I figured it out. The issue was in the settings in Window-Preferences-General-Network Connections. It was set to "Native". When set to native on Windows 7, Eclipse will look to Internet Explorer to pick up it's proxy settings. I don't use IE anymore and thus had not updated my proxy settings since a proxy host upgrade in my company.

When I set the "Active Provider" to "Manual" and used the new proxy settings. Everything works fine. So I went back and changed my IE proxy settings to the new host and switched Eclipse back to "Native" and again everything works fine as it is now picking up the new settings from IE.

Interesting note: Even when using the old proxy settings in IE, I was able to access the Liferay server just fine. I suspect what Gregory suggested in that the login credentials I was being prompted for when the server was started were actually coming from the old proxy server. The reason I wasn't being prompted when accessing Liferay in IE, probably has to do with the way IE takes advantage of the Windows 7 credentials and was authenticating to the proxy with my active directory credentials seamlessly. I don't know for sure but I am assuming that the new proxy server does not require authentication, at least in the same way.

Thanks for the help and hopefully this will help someone else down the road with a similar issue.
Bob
thumbnail

Thanks a ton Bob for tracing this down and then taking time to come back and report it. I will try to remember this so in the future I can reference people to this thread if they have similar problems with Studio.

Thanks again.
thumbnail
Vishal Panchal, módosítva 7 év-val korábban

Expert Bejegyzések: 289 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2012.05.20. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi Bob,

I had similar problems and fixed with this solution.

Thanks,
Vishal