Fórumok

Remote installation for dummies

Alexander Hall, módosítva 15 év-val korábban

Remote installation for dummies

New Member Bejegyzések: 3 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2008.12.19. Legújabb bejegyzések
I downloaded the Liferay Social Office suite a couple of days ago and set it up locally. I was really impressed with it’s features and intuitive interface, so I figured this should be a perfect collaborative workspace for our organization. However, I just couldn’t figure out how (or if it’s at all possible?) to install this on a remote server (hosted service). I didn’t find any information here that explained this to me in a simple enough manner. Am I missing something here? Are there any fairly straight-forward procedures for setting up/using Liferay on a remote web server? Or is it meant to be used only as an Intranet on a local network?

I would really appreciate some easy-to-follow advice/feedback on this issue, since I am not very experienced with this kind of stuff.
thumbnail
steve rieger, módosítva 15 év-val korábban

Re: [Liferay Forums][Liferay Social Office] Remote installation fordummies

Expert Bejegyzések: 436 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2006.09.11. Legújabb bejegyzések
What os are you running on the server ?

--
Sent via Blackberry
I can be reached at 310-947-8565

-----Original Message-----
From: "Alexander Hall from liferay.com" <no-reply@liferay.com>

Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 06:43:57
To: mb.1670998.1811666@events.liferay.com<mb.1670998.1811666@events.liferay.com>
Subject: [Liferay Forums][Liferay Social Office] Remote installation for
dummies <mb.1670998.1811666@events.liferay.com>

I downloaded the Liferay Social Office suite a couple of days ago and set it up locally. I was really impressed with it’s features and intuitive interface, so I figured this should be a perfect collaborative workspace for our organization. However, I just couldn’t figure out how (or if it’s at all possible?) to install this on a remote server (hosted service). I didn’t find any information here that explained this to me in a simple enough manner. Am I missing something here? Are there any fairly straight-forward procedures for setting up/using Liferay on a remote web server? Or is it meant to be used only as an Intranet on a local network?

I would really appreciate some easy-to-follow advice/feedback on this issue, since I am not very experienced with this kind of stuff.
--
Liferay Message Boards
http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/1811666
mb.1670998.1811666@events.liferay.com
http://www.liferay.com

RE: Re: [Liferay Forums][Liferay Social Office] Remote installation fordumm

It's a Linux server...
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, módosítva 15 év-val korábban

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 2871 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2006.08.31. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi Alex,

You can follow the instructions of the Portal Administration Guide since Liferay Social Office is based on Liferay Portal.

Thanks Jorge! I have looked through the documentation and must admit that it seems a bit too complicated for my level of experience. I was thinking of installing Liferay Social Office on our organizations' hosted service, but that might be difficult I suppose when you don't have permissions to all parts of the server, etc?

Anyhow, I am thankful for your response..
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, módosítva 15 év-val korábban

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 2871 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2006.08.31. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi Alexander,

All you need is access to create a database for Liferay and access to the data sources configuration of your application server. If you are using a tomcat bundle you just have to edit the ROOT.xml file to point to your data base.
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, módosítva 14 év-val korábban

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 2034 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2009.03.05. Legújabb bejegyzések
Actually, if it's based off regular liferay, you're not supposed to edit the Root.xml but the portal-ext.properties to point to the database. At least that's what it says in the Liferay documents.
thumbnail
Mickey Fox, módosítva 14 év-val korábban

RE: Remote installation for dummies

Junior Member Bejegyzések: 60 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2009.07.15. Legújabb bejegyzések
Cutting to the chase: Alexander, it is quite possible that you will not be able to install Portal or SO remotely on a hosted server for several reasons (including, as you have pointed out, permissions). It is very hard to tell you (from the angle that we are seeing) whether your provider would allow you the access required: it depends on the type of hosting you have as they may not allow you the directory / root access you need.

I do know that some providers do allow you the kind of control and access you need, but given your self-described level of experience, your provider may not be the kind you need. If you could post a little more information on your type of service, it may help...
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, módosítva 14 év-val korábban

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 2034 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2009.03.05. Legújabb bejegyzések
Most providers will either put you on a shared Liferay instance - which can be VERY limiting. Many things in Liferay are set instance wide in the portal-ext.properties. Calendar event types are configured there. Who the emails come from when forum posts are updated or calendar events are added are also set there.

If that's a problem for you, and it was for me, so I switched from shared hosting to a having my own virtual private server where I do have root access. It's not cheap - $70 a month for a VPS large enough to run Liferay comfortably.
thumbnail
Hennie de Villiers, módosítva 13 év-val korábban

Junior Member Bejegyzések: 78 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2009.04.01. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi Lisa

What do you recommend in terms of an ideal VPS configuration to run Liferay Portal?

Any service providers you recommend?
thumbnail
Bryan Cheung, módosítva 14 év-val korábban

Expert Bejegyzések: 373 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2004.08.27. Legújabb bejegyzések
Mickey, Alexander,

If you are interested in Liferay-based hosting you can try:

http://www.omegabit.com/

Chris Stavros is a Liferay enthusiast and very competent with the product. He should be able to assist you.

Best,
Bryan
thumbnail
Hennie de Villiers, módosítva 13 év-val korábban

Junior Member Bejegyzések: 78 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2009.04.01. Legújabb bejegyzések
Can highly recommend them.

Chris and his team make life(ray) emoticon real easy and excellent service.

If you want to do custom stuff I suggest you go for their Epsilon server.