Fórumok

Newbee question

Jack Eapen, módosítva 15 év-val korábban

Newbee question

New Member Bejegyzések: 7 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2008.12.22. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi,

i'm just looking for an open source/free alternative for Sharepoint. Now i'm confused with Liferay portal and Social Office. what's the difference? which one should I use?

what I need is:

1.a document management system with full-text indexing of doc,pdf,ppt,xls and openoffice files
2.MS ActiveDirectory-based authentication mechanism
3.Wiki
4.Discussion Forums
5.Calendar

So, plz help me with your valuable suggestions.

also, which file should i download? we have a linux environment with Jboss AS.
thumbnail
Bryan Cheung, módosítva 15 év-val korábban

RE: Newbee question

Expert Bejegyzések: 373 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2004.08.27. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi Jack,

It *sounds like* Social Office would fit your needs. You have 1 and 3-5 as default features and 2 can be configured in the My Profile area by the Administrator (I believe).

In 1, though, what do you mean by full indexing? Do you mean the content of the documents is part of the search index?
Jack Eapen, módosítva 15 év-val korábban

New Member Bejegyzések: 7 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2008.12.22. Legújabb bejegyzések
Bryan Cheung:
Hi Jack,

It *sounds like* Social Office would fit your needs. You have 1 and 3-5 as default features and 2 can be configured in the My Profile area by the Administrator (I believe).

In 1, though, what do you mean by full indexing? Do you mean the content of the documents is part of the search index?

what I meant is the full text of uploaded pdf/word/openoffice document should be searchable-not just their metadata.

also, can someone plz explain the difference between SocialOffice and Liferay portal?

thanks

Jack
thumbnail
Bryan Cheung, módosítva 15 év-val korábban

Hi Jack,

Social Office vs. Portal

Social Office

Summary:
Social Office is a team workspace product that combines collaboration and social networking features in a single package designed for enterprises. Social Office is an end-user solution with a specific function and purpose out of the box.

Use cases:
Shared Workspaces for office teams to collaborate
Document sharing
Social networking in an enterprise (Enterprise social computing)

Compare with:
Microsoft Sharepoint
Google Docs
Jive Clearspace

Liferay Portal

Summary
Liferay Portal is first and foremost an enterprise portal, which traditionally has been considered a “framework” or “tool” for simplifiying enterprise application integration, consolidating a reusable presentation tier, and managing, publishing or consuming web services.

However, integrated web content management, social networking and collaboration means Liferay provides immediate value in the near term and integration potential for the long term.

Use cases:
All Social Offices use cases, but with additional potential for customization and integration
Public Websites
Commerce sites
Enterprise Portals
SOA Initiatives, web services, systems integration
Integration with ERP, CRM, Financials, legacy systems
Building base for custom Web-based applications (such as a learning management system targeted to a specific industry)
Extranets, Intranets, My* websites
Enterprise Content Management that involves integration with multiple repositories

Compare with:
IBM Websphere Portal
BEA Weblogic Portal
BEA AquaLogic User Interaction
Oracle Portal
Oracle WebCenter

I wish I could put this all in a table but I don't think this forum allows that. emoticon
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, módosítva 15 év-val korábban

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 2871 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2006.08.31. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hey Bryan,

This is very cool. What do you think of adding it as a wiki article? And you'll be able to use tables there (just use the HTML mode) ;)
thumbnail
Juan Fernández, módosítva 14 év-val korábban

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 1261 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2008.10.02. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi!
I have found this interesting, and I have created a wiki article for this.
Feel free to update/edit it
Regards
Juan Fernández
Phil Buhr, módosítva 13 év-val korábban

New Member Bejegyzés: 1 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2010.02.03. Legújabb bejegyzések
The wiki article is interesting indeed. But there was another question in the initial post : are the posted documents fully indexed (is there a full-text search on the documents' content, not only the meta data ?) ?.
Thanks
thumbnail
Bryan Cheung, módosítva 13 év-val korábban

Yes, indexing of documents is full text.