Fórumok

Social Office hook not loading?

Jonathon Lachlan-Hache, módosítva 10 év-val korábban

Social Office hook not loading?

New Member Bejegyzések: 7 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2013.03.22. Legújabb bejegyzések
I'm doing a fresh install of Liferay 6.1 with Social Office. When I try to install SO, however, I can only get to the point where I have my Dashboard, topbar, and other SO elements, but I can't view or edit the site template, and I can't add a new site with the SO template.

RE: Social Office hook not loading?

As a further explanation, attached is the dialog box for creating a new SO site. You'll see that the options for the different kinds of pages are missing. I also can't view the Pages for the Default Social Office Site template.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm really excited to get Liferay and SO working on my server.

Regards,
Jon
thumbnail
Mandy Zia, módosítva 10 év-val korábban

New Member Bejegyzések: 12 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2010.06.22. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi Jon,

Can you walk me through how you installed SO? Also, can you tell me whether there were any console errors and what app server and database you are using? Thanks!

- Mandy

Thanks for the prompt response. This is using the most recent Tomcat bundle, connecting to MySQL. It's a LAMP server with cPanel, so my configuration is heavily automated (i.e. I let the scripts to the work, I didn't set it up myself).

To install SO, I used the marketplace. I downloaded and installed and the let it sit and think for a while. Then I assigned myself the Social Office User role and tested the Dashboard. Then I restarted Tomcat to make sure the hook had fully engaged.

This problem seems to always occur when I deploy Liferay in my jakarta folder, but there are no problems when I use the bundle only. I wonder if I didn't move something from the bundle that I should have -- for example, I didn't create a data or deploy folder that's one folder above Tomcat. Would this cause an issue? I'll try to reinstall.

Unfortunately I can't access my VNC from this computer, so I will have to get back to you about the specific errors. When I reviewed catalina.out last night it said so-hook and so theme had deployed without trouble. The only error I found was with a Java package not being installed, "which might result in reduced functionality". However, I would assume that this is not the source of this specific problem since I had successfully deployed SO on this server before (in a "clean" bundle).

I'll try to reinstall once again (for the 10th time as I figure out how to make my configuration work), but I was hoping that this problem might have been seen before and therefore had a specific solution.

Thanks again,
Jon

This is the other symptom of the problem -- the Default Social Office template isn't even found when I try to Open Site Template.
thumbnail
Jonathan Lee, módosítva 10 év-val korábban

New Member Bejegyzések: 14 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2010.09.16. Legújabb bejegyzések
It seems like there are no pages in your template. I suspect there is an error during installation. Do you have the stacktrace while you are installing Social Office? Can you also verify that?

1) You are using 6.1 CE GA2 Liferay Portal Bundle
2) You set your mysql database to utf8

If you can include some stacktrace from your console, it will help us troubleshoot this faster.

Thanks!
thumbnail
James Falkner, módosítva 10 év-val korábban

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 1399 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2010.09.17. Legújabb bejegyzések
Jonathan Lee:
It seems like there are no pages in your template. I suspect there is an error during installation. Do you have the stacktrace while you are installing Social Office? Can you also verify that?

1) You are using 6.1 CE GA2 Liferay Portal Bundle
2) You set your mysql database to utf8

If you can include some stacktrace from your console, it will help us troubleshoot this faster.

Thanks!

As Jon mentions, it's important to set your database's encoding to utf8. This is a very common problem with Social Office, because Liferay itself (the base bundle) appears to work when it first starts up, even if you don't set the encoding to utf8, as Liferay doesn't require utf8 for initial startup, but you'll quickly hit this if you use it for any non-trivial length of time, or if you install SO, because SO tickles this particular requirement during installation.

See this thread, but ensure your database is configured with a utf8 encoding. I usually use

create database lportal default character set utf8;

Setting the charset to utf8 for the MySQL database appears to have worked! I had seen the thread you referenced, and I knew that I needed it to be UTF8, but I honestly had no idea what that meant. I guess I assumed that utf8 was a standard that my cPanel server was likely adhering to...and cPanel doesn't give options for changing this. And I don't know any SQL so I had to learn how to do this: I created the database in cPanel, then went into my VCN command line and entered:
mysql
alter database lportal charset=utf8;

I'm sure there's some other ignoramus like me out there that will find this useful...

Yes it's the 6.1 CE GA2 bundle.

I appreciate the help!!