Fórumok

Liferay Migration from EE to CE

M. H., módosítva 10 év-val korábban

Liferay Migration from EE to CE

New Member Bejegyzések: 18 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2013.06.28. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hello,

we are using Liferay EE. However, we are thinking about migrating to Liferay CE after our License for EE has expired. Now my question:

Would it be possible to migrate from Liferay 6.1 EE to Liferay 6.2 CE and if so, how is it done. Is there any guideline I can follow or is it just not possible to do so. I would like to try if it works BEFORE the license for EE runs out in order to know if it's worth it.

Is it correct that there is no difference between EE and CE with respect to the implementation? I know there are difference w.r.t. support, fixes, patches and so on but essentially both portals are the same or are they not? If they are there should not be any problem in migrating from EE to CE.

Thanks and best regards!
thumbnail
Victor Zorin, módosítva 10 év-val korábban

RE: Liferay Migration from EE to CE

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 1228 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2008.04.14. Legújabb bejegyzések
You should not have problems migrating from EE to CE, just make sure that CE version is higher that EE. We've done it many times for various reasons.

6.1EE to 6.2EE should be fine, but 6.1EE to 6.1.2GA3 may not work as EE minor versions counts are always ahead of publicly available CE minor versions.

Victor Zorin:
You should not have problems migrating from EE to CE, just make sure that CE version is higher that EE. We've done it many times for various reasons.

6.1EE to 6.2EE should be fine, but 6.1EE to 6.1.2GA3 may not work as EE minor versions counts are always ahead of publicly available CE minor versions.

Thank you very much! So, if I want to migrate 6.1.20EE to CE I should wait for 6.2CE, right? But as far as I know you must not skip a version of Liferay when migrating, you have to step from version to version. This is fine for EE or CE alone, but how do I know which version is the next to take for a cross-migration from EE to CE? Is there some kind of mapping between EE and CE versions that gives me that information?

Best regards!
thumbnail

RE: Liferay Migration from EE to CE (Válasz)

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 1228 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2008.04.14. Legújabb bejegyzések
You simply go to the portal database and "select * from release_".
Latest EE version would give you the build number 6120.
CE 6.1.1 build number is 6101.
CE 6.1.2 GA3 is 6102.

You can try to run 6.1.2 GA3 against EE DB (a copy of it), but change the build number manually to 6102 to avoid startup verification check issues.
Depending on the features you are utilizing in your portal there is a high chance that everything will work fine.

And in regards to
... as far as I know you must not skip a version of Liferay when migrating, you have to step from version to version ...

You can skip as many versions as you need by applying a common business sense (and not paying too much attention to the reseller of EE services who is a sales person).

Liferay will automatically run upgrades from whichever version you originally have to the latest installed.
We have recently done migration of several systems from 5.2.1 to 6.1.2 GA3 and this is like a 4-5 year gap between upgrades and no problems. Would be much worse if the company was upgrading for each new release, big waste of time for no reason.

Victor Zorin:
You simply go to the portal database and "select * from release_".
Latest EE version would give you the build number 6120.
CE 6.1.1 build number is 6101.
CE 6.1.2 GA3 is 6102.

You can try to run 6.1.2 GA3 against EE DB (a copy of it), but change the build number manually to 6102 to avoid startup verification check issues.
Depending on the features you are utilizing in your portal there is a high chance that everything will work fine.

And in regards to
... as far as I know you must not skip a version of Liferay when migrating, you have to step from version to version ...

You can skip as many versions as you need by applying a common business sense (and not paying too much attention to the reseller of EE services who is a sales person).

Liferay will automatically run upgrades from whichever version you originally have to the latest installed.
We have recently done migration of several systems from 5.2.1 to 6.1.2 GA3 and this is like a 4-5 year gap between upgrades and no problems. Would be much worse if the company was upgrading for each new release, big waste of time for no reason.

Hello,

thanks for your great help! It really works as easy as you said. Now, I will just have to update all my plugins and I am done. Great emoticon

Best Regards!!!!
thumbnail
Daniel Tyger, módosítva 10 év-val korábban

Regular Member Bejegyzések: 105 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2013.02.06. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi M H:

May I ask what prompted your decision to migrate from EE >> CE? -Thank you.

The price... emoticon
thumbnail

M. H.:
The price... emoticon

.. or in some cases you may want to run a copy of your developed system in the environment where it is not covered by EE licence, e.g. additional development/test environments. Dummy EE licence will suddenly block your portal whenever number of online users exceeds certain limit.
harry vu, módosítva 10 év-val korábban

New Member Bejegyzés: 1 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2014.02.17. Legújabb bejegyzések
I am newbie. Do you have any videos or clips about how to change from EE to CE ?
Thanks