Fórumok

site template and update main site

fouad fouad, módosítva 9 év-val korábban

site template and update main site

Junior Member Bejegyzések: 28 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2014.08.08. Legújabb bejegyzések
hello everyone
i dont have much experience with liferay but i would like to ask something about site templates.
i created my site template ( abcTemp) and a site (abc).

i assigned abcTemp to abc and i did some changes to abc.
then after a while i want to update something on abcTemp, the new updates will not show on abc unless i reset it.
but if i the site abc i will lose all the changes that i applied to abc.

my question is as follows, how can i keep updaing abctemp and abc without losing the changes on abc emoticon

thank you
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, módosítva 9 év-val korábban

RE: site template and update main site

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 14919 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2006.09.02. Legújabb bejegyzések
fouad fouad:
how can i keep updaing abctemp and abc without losing the changes on abc

You cannot.

What you're asking for is some kind of "merge", but a merge is only successful if some context is applied.

For example, consider template has portlet A on it but site based on template does not. During some sort of "merge", should it put portlet A on the site or not? According to the template the best answer is yes, but if the admin removed A from the site because they didn't want it there, well then the answer should be no.

Since the system is not going to have access to that context, a merge will never generate the correct results.

The site template is meant to be a springboard for getting your site off the ground and, after that, all changes go to the site. You can continue to modify your site template for future site creation, but otherwise after you create the site from the template you never look back.
fouad fouad, módosítva 9 év-val korábban

RE: site template and update main site

Junior Member Bejegyzések: 28 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2014.08.08. Legújabb bejegyzések
David H Nebinger:
fouad fouad:
how can i keep updaing abctemp and abc without losing the changes on abc

You cannot.

What you're asking for is some kind of "merge", but a merge is only successful if some context is applied.

For example, consider template has portlet A on it but site based on template does not. During some sort of "merge", should it put portlet A on the site or not? According to the template the best answer is yes, but if the admin removed A from the site because they didn't want it there, well then the answer should be no.

Since the system is not going to have access to that context, a merge will never generate the correct results.

The site template is meant to be a springboard for getting your site off the ground and, after that, all changes go to the site. You can continue to modify your site template for future site creation, but otherwise after you create the site from the template you never look back.

thank you very much emoticon.
the information were very helpful