Fórumok

Liferay & Google Summer of Code 2015

thumbnail
James Falkner, módosítva 9 év-val korábban

Liferay & Google Summer of Code 2015

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 1399 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2010.09.17. Legújabb bejegyzések
All,

Once again, this year Liferay is applying to be a "Mentoring Organization" as part of the 2015 Google Summer of Code. If you're not familiar with GSoC [FAQ], it is a program where Google gives money to students to implement projects with existing open source projects (like Liferay). Last year, Google selected 190 mentoring organizations to participate, and funded over 1,100 individual projects. This year, they expect to select even more. Their selection criteria is tough!

Students review a list of available projects (or submit their own ideas). Google then assigns a certain of student "slots" to each mentoring organization, and that organization fills those slots by choosing which student/projects to go forward with, along with a mentor for each project (there can be multiple projects per mentor and multiple mentors per project). The students implement the project over a 12 week period, and we submit progress reports along the way.

Anyway, part of the application process for Mentoring Organizations is to create an Ideas Page -- this page lists potential projects that students can choose from (students are always free to suggest their own projects, and in fact we have one already from our community!). In 2012, with your help, we established our 2012 Ideas page, and some of those ideas are still relevant, but I know you have even more ideas. I am also encouraging our entire community to become mentors this year and to participate in the student and project selection process (more on this later, after we get some ideas!).

I need help from you to outline the potential set of 2015 projects (and potential mentors!). These projects can be anything related to Liferay's open source projects (Portal, IDE, Alloy UI, Screens, etc). Please take 5 minutes and think about a good project for a university student over the 12 week period that is related to Liferay's open source projects. If you have an idea, send it to me in email (james.falkner@liferay.com) and I will use it to create the Ideas page. For each project, I need to know:

• Brief Description (paragraph or two)
  • List of programming skills (e.g. javascript, python, css, etc) and any prerequisites.
  • Estimation of difficulty (easy, medium, difficult)
  • List of potential Mentors (Any Liferay staff or community member, including yourself).
  • Any other useful information

You don't have to have a "fully baked" idea to add it to the list, so don't be shy about suggesting ideas. You also do not have to be a mentor for your idea! So don't let your lack of time keep you from submitting ideas. We have until February 20 to submit, so we have some time to finalize descriptions and such. I'm also going to take some of the good ideas on our Ideas Dashboard and some ideas I've heard over conversations.

So please, let me know if you have some ideas and if you're willing to be a mentor! It is very rewarding both from a Liferay community and personal growth perspective to mentor students on Liferay projects. You will learn a lot yourself! Thanks for reading!