Fórumok

Where is the portal.properties modified by control panel?

Fernando Cabrera, módosítva 8 év-val korábban

Where is the portal.properties modified by control panel?

Junior Member Bejegyzések: 47 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2014.08.01. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hello! I want to back up my portal configuration to be able to reproduce the same preferences in another environments.

My strategy is to make a database script (for Oracle) and a portal-ext.properties file. With a new Liferay installation I backup database registers, then I configure graphically the portal and after that backup database registers again to make my script with the differences. I would like to do the same with portal.properties, I mean, take the modified file and compare it with the original one and put the differences in my portal-ext file. Is it possible? Where is the properties file that contains my preferences established by control panel?

P.D. Is there a better approach for what I'm looking for?

Thanks.
thumbnail
Andew Jardine, módosítva 8 év-val korábban

RE: Where is the portal.properties modified by control panel? (Válasz)

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 2416 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2010.12.22. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi Fernando,

The settings are not all stored in a single place. The original portal.properties is found inside the portal-impl.jar (TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib). Changes you make in the Portal Settings section in the control panel go into the PortalPreferences table. Changes you make to the portlet preferences go into the PortletPreferences table ... so what you are after might be a little tricky, to accomplish.

Your database approach sounds fine to me -- replicate the database and point the new instance to the existing databse (provided the new server is running the same version as the original server).

But for the properties files ... why do you want to compare the original (portal.properties) to the overrides (portal-ext.properties). The whole point of this approach is that you really only care about the things you want to change, and that would be found in the portal ext. I think, using your restored (or snapshot) database in conjunction with a master portal-ext.properties file should be enough.
Fernando Cabrera, módosítva 8 év-val korábban

RE: Where is the portal.properties modified by control panel?

Junior Member Bejegyzések: 47 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2014.08.01. Legújabb bejegyzések
Thank you Andew.

I checked the PortalPreferences and PortletPreferences tables and my changes are there, I didn't realize before because I was comparing the sql insert commands generated by sqldeveloper, but they don't include clob columns.

why do you want to compare the original (portal.properties) to the overrides (portal-ext.properties)

Just to clarify: I didn't. I thought Liferay had a portal.properties modified with preferences assigned from control panel and I wanted to compare it against the original (the one from the jar) in order to make my portal-ext.properties based in the differences, but now I realize there is not that "modified file".

I will continue with the database strategy but now with the correct export tool to include clob data.