Fórumok

how can enable to change page orders?

Balázs Csönge, módosítva 8 év-val korábban

how can enable to change page orders?

Regular Member Bejegyzések: 107 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2014.11.10. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi,

I need an urgent help.
In our DEV server under Admin/Pages menu, I can change child page order under the same parent page with drag and drop and Save.
But on our LIVE server if I press the save button, the order of the child pages automatically ordered back to original order. emoticon

Both server are 6.2 CE GA2.

Is there any magical settings, where I can enable/disable page ordering???

Regards

Balázs
thumbnail
Vilmos Papp, módosítva 8 év-val korábban

RE: how can enable to change page orders?

Liferay Master Bejegyzések: 529 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2010.10.21. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi Balázs,

Is there any error in the log or on the Javascript console?

Regards,
Vilmos

Regular Member Bejegyzések: 107 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2014.11.10. Legújabb bejegyzések
The server in the cloud. My college tried to detect any error message during I tried to change page order, but he did not found any error message.
But we have to check it again.

It seems, save method somehow doesn't update LAYOUT table PRIORITY field, where the order is stored.

I changed the order in DB manually, but because of the caching, it not applied on UI. But if I did a modification of hidden-page settings, and pressed save, then UI read up manually set order. But it is not a real solution, because in the future we have to manage great number of pages, and will have no chance to change page orders always at DB side...

And I have to repeat, on our DEV server, which is the same 6.2 CE GA2, and on my local server (on my laptop), there is no problem with it. How can it be? What kind of difference can result this failure? emoticon

This problem is critical to our project, we have to eliminate it ASAP, that is why asking urgent help. emoticon

I connected to the server and opened an Admin/Pages menu. Tried to move a page (under the same parent changing its order) and then presed Save.
The page reloaded with old page order.
Checked logs, but found ZERO error message.
Logs were examined:
- portal_dir/logs/liferay.2015-08-25.log
- portal_dir/tomcat-7.0.42/logs/catalina.out
- portal_dir/tomcat-7.0.42/logs/localhost_access_log.2015-08-25.txt

Used Firefox console during this action, but saw nothing different what I can see when I am douing same on the DEV server (where the reorder is working).

I getting depressed and my trust in this technology decreasing very very fast...
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, módosítva 8 év-val korábban

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 6403 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2008.09.23. Legújabb bejegyzések
It's hard to reproduce this from a distance, as you have even problems reproducing it from close by (on another machine).

On a quick search I found quite a number of issues. You should check if you recognize one of these as your issue, maybe try related search terms as well, then see if it's fixed already (and in which version). Check the commits on github's master to identify changes and backport them.

Of course, somebody might already have done this: One of the ever-so-unpopular options is to upgrade to GA4, the (currently) latest release in the 6.2 series, and check if the problem has long been fixed. There are a lot of issues that have been fixed since GA2 and you should prepare to upgrade. Just in case you're preparing to give the standard answer to this suggestion (no pun intended, but I often hear this answer) "We can't upgrade" - how would you like to fix the issue otherwise?

And last but not least, there's the EE option, where it won't be your problem to find the underlying issue but Liferay's.

The problem is constanly "alive" on the live server, so it is easy to reproduce there. emoticon

We had a project deadline, and there are many other things to must be developped. Therefore, loosing time with upgrading, or spending hours or days with reading huge list of issue reports (most of them made many years ago), is critical.

And this case is a bit complicated, than a usual bug, because we cannot say, it is a bug of the xy version, because different server instances with same version behave different way. And we have no information about, what kind of settings, circumstances couse the difference.

The budget of the project is not letting to us to use EE version, which has an extreme high price. And yes, we have to live together with the "cheap meat doesn't make good soup" situation.

At the end our customer will judge the solution, and if they meet many problems like this, what we cannot fix, our "assistance" or the usage of the product will be eliminated... emoticon
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, módosítva 8 év-val korábban

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 6403 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2008.09.23. Legújabb bejegyzések
Did you find anything in Jira? Reproduction typically doesn't mean "I can see it" but "I can describe the steps so that it can be reproduced on another machine".

As much as we'd like to help: As long as nobody sees it themselves and can investigate on the root cause, the best bet is to check if somebody else found it already and described it in an issue. Then you can find the code (fix) associated with that fix and backport it to your version

Has anyone any idea, which server or environment setting has an effect to the behaviour of the page management "Save" functionality?
emoticon
thumbnail

Liferay Master Bejegyzések: 529 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2010.10.21. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi Balázs,

Do you have possibly staging and page versioning enabled?

Regards,
Vilmos

I found where I can set page staging, but it is not set.

Where can I check/set page versioning?
thumbnail

Page versioning is an option only when staging is enabled, as it seems you don't have it turned on, you don't have page versioning either.

I think, we have/had a setting some years ago which could disable the moving of a page under another, but I haven't find it yet.
thumbnail

Didn't find it what I searched for, but perhaps you can modify tree_js.jsp and change the following line:

draggable: node.sortable,

so it would always set draggable to false, but I haven't tested it.

Regards,
Vilmos

My colleges found that jsp, but because it is same on both servers, they did not want to modify it.

Anyway. As I wrote this reorder page problem occurred on our LIVE server, but does not on our DEV server, and on my local server.

The portal-ext.properties of these servers were different from each other. LIVE<>DEV<>local.

After the start of this topic, the following thing happened:
- DEV portal-ext.properties file has been used on my local server.
- I updated the xy-theme webapp on my local server via copy-paste from LIVE.
- I compared DEV and LIVE portal-ext.properties, and made a new one using DEV as a source.
- New portal-ext.properties has been deployed on DEV and LIVE.
- Some new version of our portlet were deployed to all servers.

Now the good news is, all servers acting in a same way.
The bad news is, page order cannot be changed.

I thought, portal-ext.properties file content is the problem, but we copied back the old one to the DEV server, and it not helped at all.

We tried to examine PORTALPREFERENCES table, but we have no idea, what we need to check here.

If I am correct, page administartion is done via portlet with 156 ID. But in PORTLETPREFERENCES table, it has an empty settings.
<portlet-preferences />

So "Winter is coming...", but the solution of this problem is not. emoticon

The development went to LIVE stage. Sadly this problem was not resolved, and the client has a very negative opinion about Liferay’s admin functionality. (Not only because of the page management does not work properly. For example, they cannot order files via name, in many cases, etc.)
The page manager portlet should be defected. On the server there are more than 1200 pages, and I think it cannot handle this amount of pages.
There are a limit for how many subpages are displayed by default, and there is an option to show more. It is not working in most cases, which is nonsense.
There is no option to select/move more than one child pages to different location in one step.

Is any 3rd party page manager app, which is working properly and free?

Only, what I was able to do, I made a workflow task, which can be started via DDL. The user can select a page, and set a recursive choice, then the flow reorders the sub pages of the selected page (via API calls), and optionally all pages under this page in the page tree.