Fórumok

Help needed: tried to update theme - broke server

Jason Cantrell, módosítva 16 év-val korábban

Help needed: tried to update theme - broke server

Junior Member Bejegyzések: 43 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2008.02.28. Legújabb bejegyzések
I'm currently working on a portal on a separate development server. I previously created a theme using the Tomcat server on my laptop, and uploaded it to the dev server through the Plugins portlet. I then created a new version of the same theme, and attempted to upload it to the dev server through the Plugins portlet (the war file had the same name as before). When I did this, IE locked up. I restarted it, and could not get back into the server. I tried doing the same thing on my Tomcat server, and broke that too. When I try to get back into it, it comes up with the url "http://localhost:8080/c" and a "page cannot be displayed" error message.

So I realize that Liferay doesn't like it when you try to upload a war file for a theme that it already has (especially with the same file name, I'm assuming). Can anybody give me any tips on how to fix this? I'm thinking that I can fix it by deleting the theme within the database, but I don't know which table holds the theme info.

I could also use some tips on updating (or replacing) a currently existing theme through the Plugins portlet. Do I need to delete the existing theme first? If so, how do I do that?

Oh and I'm using Liferay 4.4.

RE: Help needed: tried to update theme - broke server

Junior Member Bejegyzések: 43 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2008.02.28. Legújabb bejegyzések
Ok, I was able to fix my Tomcat server. I went into the Tomcat directory and deleted the folders with names that matched my theme.

But I still need to know if there's a way to delete a theme from within the portal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In trying to fix this, I came up with another new question: Where does the Update Manager portlet look for updates to user-created themes? And what formats should those updates be in (a *.war file I'm assuming?)?

I'm still looking for a solution for this. Answers to any of the following questions would be greatly appreciated:

- Where does the Update Manager portlet look for updates for custom themes? (and what format do the updates need to be in?)

- How would I update a custom theme without deploying it to the server?
- My app is on a development server and we don't have the Plugins SDK installed on it. I originally installed my theme to the development server through the Plugins portlet. How can I update this theme through the portal?

Thanks
thumbnail
Wilson Man, módosítva 16 év-val korábban

Liferay Master Bejegyzések: 581 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2006.06.21. Legújabb bejegyzések
hey Jason,

sorry that no one has been able to help so far ... i'll try my best to answer some of your questions, though i'm not much of a theme/front-end person.

I believe on the dev server, you can simply update your changes directly in tomcat/webapps/<your-theme-war-dir>
the jsp updates will take place immediately, but not your velocity templates, those would require a restart of tomcat.

as for the deployment problem, i'm not sure whether liferay indexes themes using Lucene, if it does, you may also want to clean that index up by removing it and then when liferay restarts, it should automatically reindex (or you can manually activate this in the admin portlet.)

also, you can deploy themes simply by dropping the WAR file into the liferay-deployment directory. the default location for this is in the <user-home>/liferay/deploy

hope that helps a bit at least.

wilson

Hi Wilson,

Thanks for responding.

I believe on the dev server, you can simply update your changes directly in tomcat/webapps/<your-theme-war-dir>
the jsp updates will take place immediately, but not your velocity templates, those would require a restart of tomcat.

We're actually using a JBoss app server on the dev server. Do you know what folder that would translate to for JBoss? And would I just put the updated war file for my theme in that directory?

also, you can deploy themes simply by dropping the WAR file into the liferay-deployment directory. the default location for this is in the <user-home>/liferay/deploy

I also thought about this as a possible solution, but I'm not sure where that directory would be on a development server (I'm not one of the server admins, so I didn't take part in the install).

Do you (or anyone else) know where I might be able to find info on the Update Manager portlet, or who I might be able to contact about it? It seems like the ready-made solution to my problem, but I just don't know how to properly use it.
thumbnail
Wilson Man, módosítva 16 év-val korábban

Liferay Master Bejegyzések: 581 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2006.06.21. Legújabb bejegyzések
hey Jason,

in jboss, assuming you're using the default server setting, the folder your theme is in is:
jboss/server/default/deploy/

as for the liferay hot deploy folder, check which "user" account liferay runs on ... and then look in that user's home dir for a liferay/deploy folder.

if you want, you can actually change the folder liferay checks for hot deployment in portal-ext.properties. copy the following property from portal.properties and put it in your portal-ext.properties file:

resource.repositories.root=${user.home}/liferay
auto.deploy.deploy.dir=${resource.repositories.root}/deploy

update it to your liking. do note that make sure liferay has write permission to that folder.

i'm not sure how to use the Update Manager portlet myself, but i'll take a look once i have time.

wilson

Awesome. Thanks for the great info, Wilson. I was just looking for that property in the Administrator's Guide. This should solve my problem.