Fórumok

Quiz Portlet

thumbnail
Ray Auge, módosítva 17 év-val korábban

Quiz Portlet

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 1197 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2005.02.08. Legújabb bejegyzések
Two weeks ago I wrote up an outline for requirments of a Quiz portlet.

Quiz portlet

Following is a (semi-)detailed list of the features required by a Quiz portlet.

There are two main actors in the logic of a quiz; a teacher (i.e. instructional designer), and a student. The teacher develops the questions and assembles them in a quiz. The student undertakes the quiz as delivered by the teacher.

1. The teacher

The teacher's perspective involves four different aspects in the life cycle of a quiz.
Question development
Quiz design/layout
Quiz configuration
Quiz results/statistics

1.1 Question development

Questions exist in different formats to allow the instructional designer to leverage different evaluation methods.
Multiple choice
Short answer
Matching
Paragraph
Mathematical/Scientific
etc...

1.2 Quiz design/layout

Each Quiz may have a different design and layout and may contain additional information beyond simply the selected questions, such as general instructions, section information, sectional grouping of questions, question set randomization, question values, general feedback. Ideally, in order to accommodate special needs cases, a printable instance, pre-associated with a given student, would also be recommended. Also some cases require that the designer populate a given quiz instance on behalf of a student.

1.3 Quiz configuration

Quiz configuration goes beyond design/layout and into issues like calendar availability, duration, permissions, number of allowed attempts, what data is available to students post-completion, etc.

1.4 Quiz results/statistics

Results and statistics are required for the instructional designer to evaluate the performance of both students and quizzes. Statistics should be available for individual students, complete answers provided for each quiz attempt, individual question marks, etc. Quizzes should provide statistics for the tested group, like average, mean, median marks, mark breakdown/grouping, standard deviations, etc. Quizzes should also provide statistics per question used in each quiz similar to quiz statistics, average, mean, median, etc... These statistics help to determine effectiveness of teaching, problems in the evaluation, problem topics/students, etc...

2. The student

The student's perspective involves two different aspects in the life cycle of the quiz.
Quiz instance
Quiz result

2.1 Quiz instance

The Quiz is delivered to the student in a secure fashion such that it is only available in a single session per student. A student should not be able to open multiple instances of the quiz either via multiple browsers or by any other means, nor should it open in a popup window. No data should be stored in Javascript, though data retrieval through an AJAX implementation should be ok. There should be some means of informing the student of their progress through the quiz (which questions are completed, % complete, etc...).

2.2 Quiz result

It should be possible for the designer to allow the student to view the quiz results based on the quiz's configuration with the possibility of including configured feedback, overall mark, possibly each question with the student's answer as well as possibly the correct answer. The designer should also have the option to display group statistics (excluding all individual data regarding other students) to the student so that they may compare themselves against the group.

Anything else?
Dave Finch, módosítva 17 év-val korábban

RE: Quiz Portlet

Junior Member Bejegyzések: 40 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2005.02.03. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi Ray,

One idea that I have is to separate quizzes from questions to allow questions to be reused across quizzes. Each question could be assigned to a category and a difficulty level and a quiz could be build by defining which category / difficultly / quantity combinations.

For example:
A ‘Java Developer Quiz’ could contain 10 difficult Swing questions, 5 medium JDBC and 5 easy SQL questions.
And a ‘J2EE Developer Quiz’ could contain10 difficult JSP/Servlet questions, 5 medium JDBC and 5 easy SQL questions.
Disclaimer - no architecture preference implied emoticon

Maybe this is what you meant by:
Ray Auge:
sectional grouping of questions

I also think it may be worth considering supporting questions that consist of a flash movie, this will allow interactive questions with rich user interfaces and support drag & drop for example.

Dave
thumbnail
Ray Auge, módosítva 17 év-val korábban

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 1197 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2005.02.08. Legújabb bejegyzések
Ray Auge:

Exactly, I was thinking of an organization akin to the MB where there is an infinit number of sub-categories, like sub-folders, such that you could classify questions in a very fine grained fashion.

- Java Questions
   - Swing
     - Event Handling
       - Hard
         - Multiple Choice
           - 5 points
           - 1 point
         - Short answer
           - 5 points
       - Medium
       - Easy
     - UI Design
       - Hard
       - Easy
   - SWT
     - Event Handling
     - UI Frame Works
       - JFace
   - J2EE

you get the idea... No limit on categorization depth.

Dave Finch:
I also think it may be worth considering supporting questions that consist of a flash movie, this will allow interactive questions with rich user interfaces and support drag & drop for example.

If we implement SCORM, this functionality will exist, as the SCORM APIs are all being "standardized". Not to mention that Adobe/Macromedia products (among other large content building software companies) are all producing tools which export to SCORM formats. We'd gain the ability to leverage these tools for develing content, and not only for educational purposes.
zhenchun xiao, módosítva 17 év-val korábban

New Member Bejegyzések: 8 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2007.01.28. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hello, dear all
Very glad to find this Liferay University "Quiz Portlet", which is very interesting. I am new to Liferay, while I still would like to share some of my ideas here.

First, I think the system should can let the student who was given the enough permision to self-test, which means he can let the Quiz Portlet to generate the Quiz itself (perhaps via random style, also the Quiz Portlet can give some configuration pages to constraint the questions generated.)
So, no teacher needed here. This can help the student self-learning.

Second, I agree that the "infinit number of sub-categories" can get a very fine grained fashion, while, not sure if the Quiz Portlet can adopt some machanism of "Tags/Label" idea, which is very popular in Web 2.0 conception. I would like to show an example:
If the teacher wants to test the Java skill of the student, then perhaps he will put many questions, and each question perhaps will not only test just one point of the java, perhaps it will contain two (even more) knowledge skill points of the java language, such as "how to use java println()" and "how to use java data type Integer", this two points will be tested within one question. But the two points have no any categories and sub-categories relationship. So, we could just put 2 tags (such as "java method" and "java data type") to let the student finally know what the testing purpose of the question. By this way, if the student failed some question, then he can quickly find what skill he lacks, and also, he can quickly find the related questions in the system (if he has enough permission) via this Tags/Label design.
I found in the Future Releases Owen (March 2007), it gets something like this and I think perhaps my idea for the Quiz Portlet would be similar as the following.
Blog Improvements
Tags / Labels
Entry Rating System

I am not sure if I expressed myself clearly above, as a University student, I think the above two points will help the students more easily learn what they have learned.
If I understood something wrong or something I put above still unclear, just correct it! emoticon

Best regards, xiao

Ray Auge:
Ray Auge:

Exactly, I was thinking of an organization akin to the MB where there is an infinit number of sub-categories, like sub-folders, such that you could classify questions in a very fine grained fashion.

- Java Questions
   - Swing
     - Event Handling
       - Hard
         - Multiple Choice
           - 5 points
           - 1 point
         - Short answer
           - 5 points
       - Medium
       - Easy
     - UI Design
       - Hard
       - Easy
   - SWT
     - Event Handling
     - UI Frame Works
       - JFace
   - J2EE

you get the idea... No limit on categorization depth.

Dave Finch:

If we implement SCORM, this functionality will exist, as the SCORM APIs are all being "standardized". Not to mention that Adobe/Macromedia products (among other large content building software companies) are all producing tools which export to SCORM formats. We'd gain the ability to leverage these tools for develing content, and not only for educational purposes.
Anonymous Anonymous, módosítva 3 év-val korábban

Regular Member Bejegyzések: 127 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2019.09.16. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi! Any news about this great future?

Regards!
thumbnail
Suresh Nimmakayala, módosítva 14 év-val korábban

Liferay Master Bejegyzések: 690 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2004.08.18. Legújabb bejegyzések
Quiz portlet i am interested too, wonder is that portlet exist ?
Julien Leray, módosítva 13 év-val korábban

New Member Bejegyzések: 12 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2010.07.09. Legújabb bejegyzések
Is this portlet developped ? I would be very interested about it, and I'd want to know if somebody has began to work on it...

Thank you emoticon
thumbnail
Andrés Cerezo, módosítva 12 év-val korábban

Junior Member Bejegyzések: 92 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2010.11.11. Legújabb bejegyzések
No, the portlet isn't developed, if you start it we can work in it, and we can include a import from test of moodle.

Cheers.
divine bach, módosítva 12 év-val korábban

New Member Bejegyzések: 2 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2011.09.23. Legújabb bejegyzések
That was interesting about quizzes. Hope to learn more from you. emoticon
thumbnail
James Cella, módosítva 14 év-val korábban

New Member Bejegyzés: 1 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2010.02.10. Legújabb bejegyzések
Did you ever get this quiz portlet written or find one out there?
Venkat P, módosítva 12 év-val korábban

Junior Member Bejegyzések: 49 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2009.03.09. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi Ray,

I am also looking to develop a quiz portlet but exploring to see if somebody had already developed and can be used by me. Was this portlet developed and can be shared to us?

Thank You
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, módosítva 12 év-val korábban

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 7942 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2010.03.24. Legújabb bejegyzések
Sounds very interesting. I personally haven't see it. Poll portlet seems to be nearest I've seen.
thumbnail
Mahendra Mahakle, módosítva 11 év-val korábban

Junior Member Bejegyzések: 80 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2011.03.14. Legújabb bejegyzések
Hi All,

I am planning to use QuiZ portlet in my liferay application.
so Is There any existing portlet available till date?. so that i can use the same.

Thanks,
Mahendra
thumbnail
Victor Zorin, módosítva 11 év-val korábban

Liferay Legend Bejegyzések: 1228 Csatlakozás dátuma: 2008.04.14. Legújabb bejegyzések
You may refer to this thread. Tomorrow a HOWTO document will become available with the detailed explanation of how to use this Liferay portlet for setting up an online quiz/survey in intranet/extranet/public website environments.