This section describes the setup necessary to begin doing Liferay development and testing your developments.
Before getting started you should satisfy the next requirements:
Liferay Portal 6.0 (6.0.5 or greater) downloaded and unzipped
Liferay plug-ins SDK (6.0.5 or greater) downloaded and unzipped
Eclipse Indigo Java EE Developers + Liferay IDE
Eclipse Helios Java EE Developers + Liferay IDE
(see the Installation steps)
Note: Earlier versions of Liferay, eg 5.2.x, are not supported yet by the Liferay IDE
Liferay Plugins SDK Setup
Before you can begin creating new Liferay plugin projects, a Liferay Plugins SDK and Liferay Portal must be installed and configured in the IDE.
Add your SDK using the add button which brings up the Add SDK Dialog
Browse to the location of your Plug-ins SDK installation
The default name is the name of the directory but you can change it if you wish
Select OK and you should see your SDK in the list of Installed SDKs
Note: multiple SDKs can be added to the preferences but you will need to select at least one SDK to be the default which is represented by the SDK that has the checkbox selected.
Liferay Portal Tomcat Runtime / Server Setup
1. In Eclipse open the Runtime environments preference page (Go to Window > Preferences > Server > Runtime environments)
2. Click Add to add a new Liferay runtime and find "Liferay v6.0 (Tomcat 6)" under the Liferay, Inc. category and click Next.
3. Click Browse and select the location of the liferay-portal-6.0.x directory
4. Once you have selected the Liferay portal directory, if a bundle JRE is present, this bundle will be automatically selected as the JRE to use for launching the server. However, if there is no JRE bundle (Mac and Linux users) then you will need to select the JRE to use for launch.
5. Click finish and you should see the Liferay portal runtime in the list of runtimes in the preference page
6. Click ok to save the runtime preferences.
7. If you didn't choose to create a server you will need to create one from the servers view before you can test the server.
8. Find the Liferay, Inc category and select the Liferay v6 Server and choose the Liferay v6 Runtime that you had previously created