Migrating Liferay client from version 5.3 to 6.1
24 maggio 2012 5.22
Risposta

sogs 14

Punteggio: New Member

Data di Iscrizione: 8 maggio 2012

Messaggi recenti

HI All,

I have my Liferay CMS version 5.3 which uses Oracle database.
I need to migrate the Liferay client from version 5.3 to 6.1. The database remains the same.

Could anyone please list me the steps to do that?
Also please point out the possible difficulties / challenges for such version migration.

It's very important and I solicit your sincere help.

Thanks in advance...
sogs
Hitoshi Ozawa
RE: Migrating Liferay client from version 5.3 to 6.1
24 maggio 2012 5.38
Risposta

Hitoshi Ozawa

Punteggio: Liferay Legend

Data di Iscrizione: 23 marzo 2010

Messaggi recenti

need to migrate the Liferay client from version 5.3 to 6.1.

Are your trying to migrate your custom CMS portlet? Some API has changed from 5.3 to 6.1. You probably need to find which API your portlet is using and find if they are still supported with the same behavior.
sogs 14
24 maggio 2012 5.43
Risposta

sogs 14

Messaggi recenti

My Liferay CMS is entirely developed from the front end, i.e using the GUI. We have not written any java code or a portlet for that.
Now will you be able to tell me how to migrate?
Hitoshi Ozawa
24 maggio 2012 6.03
Risposta

Hitoshi Ozawa

Messaggi recenti

Where did you your CMS portlet? Do you mean the Web Content Management portlet bundled with Liferay?
sogs 14
24 maggio 2012 7.50
Risposta

sogs 14

Messaggi recenti

Yeah probably... what I do is create a Parent menu link and its child menu links from the UI.
Then we add a webcontent... otherwise speaking, plain HTML code and save it. Then we map the menu with its web content.
All these are done from the UI. There is no java code involved. Hence, there is no question of dealing with APIs..

And then what I have done is, I have modified the liferay.ext.properties file so that liferay can use my oracle DB instead of its in memory database.

And all these have been done in version 5.2. I need to migrate to version 6.1.

Please help..
Hitoshi Ozawa
24 maggio 2012 14.39
Risposta

Hitoshi Ozawa

Messaggi recenti

Just follow the standard versioning up process. You'll have to version up to 6.0 before going to 6.1.
Jitendra Rajput
30 maggio 2012 5.06
Risposta

Jitendra Rajput

Punteggio: Liferay Master

Data di Iscrizione: 7 gennaio 2011

Messaggi recenti

Have a look to Liferay Upgrade Process

http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Upgrade+Instructions

And yes Hitoshi is correct . For Database Migration from 5.3 to 6.1 you need to follow 2 step process.
First you need to migrate your Database From Liferay 5.3 to Liferay 6.0 . And as a second step Migrate Database From Liferay 6.0 to Liferay 6.1

Just read the Administrator guide for Liferay 6 . (http://www.liferay.com/documentation/liferay-portal/6.0/administration/-/ai/upgrading-lifer-4)

In the second paragraph it is mention that

As a general rule, you can upgrade from one major release to the next major release. For example, you can upgrade directly from Liferay 5.1.x to 5.2.x, but not from 5.1.x to 6.0.x. If you need to upgrade over several major releases, you will need to run the upgrade procedure for each major release until you reach the release you want. This doesn't mean you need to run the procedure for every point release (i.e., 4.3.5 to 4.3.6 to 4.4.0 to 4.4.1, etc.); you only need to run the procedure for the major releases. A good practice is to use the latest version of each major release to upgrade your system