掲示板

Incorporating Social Office features in an existing App

12年前 に praveen orvakanti によって更新されました。

Incorporating Social Office features in an existing App

Junior Member 投稿: 51 参加年月日: 11/08/10 最新の投稿
Hi All,
I want to incorporate some of the existing Social Office features like Chat, mail, contacts, events etc into an existing application. How do i go about this process? Could you give me a brief step by step process that i would need to follow? What all files would i need, how do i make it connect to the DB that i use for the existing application and so on?

Thanks.
thumbnail
12年前 に David H Nebinger によって更新されました。

RE: Incorporating Social Office features in an existing App

Liferay Legend 投稿: 14918 参加年月日: 06/09/02 最新の投稿
Existing app? Seriously?

Since there are no details whatsoever about what your existing app is, there is no way to tell you how to do this. The only things to say are:

• Liferay exposes much functionality as a web service. If your existing app can consume web services, this might be an option.
  • If your existing app is a portlet that you are deploying in liferay and want to use some of the SO functionality, you can use the local services within Liferay to leverage the functionality.

Hi David,
Apologies for not being clear in the first place.
The existing application can consume webapps. So suppose i want to use the chat and email functionality of SO in the existing app, what would i have to do?

Thanks

Hello,
Can anyone just help me get started with incorporating the SO into an existing application? The existing application can consume web apps. So if i need Chat, Mail, Posts features of SO, should i just copy those web apps that are present in the SO/Tomcat/webapps directory??? Along with necessary jar files????
thumbnail
12年前 に Bryan Cheung によって更新されました。

Expert 投稿: 373 参加年月日: 04/08/27 最新の投稿
In Liferay 6.1 and Social Office 2.0 you will be able to deploy SO within Liferay Portal. These will be available Sep-Oct of this year.
thumbnail

Bryan, I think the OP's goal is to more or less take out the SO functionality from Liferay and incorporate it into their application.

They don't seem to understand that the SO features span more than just the Java code, that there is stuff in the themes, the javascript, the Liferay data (i.e. users), etc. that SO is based upon.

It's not like every function of, say, the chat portlet is exposed via a web service (i.e. posting a message, checking for new messages, seeing who's online) that their application could leverage. Even if it were, there are still data dependencies (i.e. the Liferay user ids and other APIs) that would have to be leveraged to make any real use of them.

To me, it sounds like they are looking for a generic SO platform that has these kinds of capabilities and are fishing to see if they can leverage the Liferay SO functionality in this manner.

Hi David,
You have summarized my goals very well. But i do understand that SO features span more than just the Java Code. I am actually building the UI myself for the application that i was talking about. I just want the widget (that i am developing) to have some of the SO capabilities like chat, mail, posts etc. I also want to slightly tinker with LR's database to incorporate/accommodate my application's DB.

The UI is being built on Flex. Back-end is primarily Java and Oracle Database. I wwant to expose the SO features to my application and there by capture them and present them in the UI that is under development.

Do i sound fair? Or am i mistaken?

If this supposed plan seems possible, how should i go about it? I'm not that great in Java and i just hope you guys to be a little more brief while explaining it, like you are explaining it to a beginner or an intermediary emoticon
thumbnail

I really don't think it will prove to be practical at all.

I think if you want to include, for example, some sort of chat functionality, you'd be better off leveraging a library that already implements that, rather than somehow trying to cut that functionality out of Liferay.

For example, Smack would give you chat functionality w/o having to deal w/ decoupling Liferay's chat stuff...

Basically I think you're barking up the wrong tree with the extraction from Liferay plan. If you were going to build your app for Liferay, then sure leveraging Liferay's chat and other SO features would be worth it, but it is not worth it for the goals that you have.

David,
I was under the impression that since Liferay exposes these features as webapps, i could just use some of those API and incorporate them into my code. Just trying to avoid rework.... Moreover i also wanted collaboration features like posting, replying to it, category specific forums and stuff. Thats y i chose Liferay.
thumbnail

I think you should flog whomever gave you that impression... emoticon

Seriously, an API and a web app are two different things. Having the latter doesn't mean you also have the former...

If you actually use Liferay, you'll have access to all of that functionality. But you won't be able to cut out the pieces from Liferay in any form of clean or easy manner to incorporate into your own application.