掲示板

Is Liferay really helpfull for saving devloper time?

thumbnail
15年前 に Chirag Suthar によって更新されました。

Is Liferay really helpfull for saving devloper time?

Junior Member 投稿: 41 参加年月日: 08/01/10 最新の投稿
One nice episode happened with my team during my assignment. In IT industry all are smart .
All client knows liferay takes less development time so now their expectation are more in short time.
but still liferay is a new for all specially in my team ,All have to spend much time in R&D.So finally its tack same time like normal project.

So again same challenges come to us is less time more development.
We are only tack good felling about new technologies with heavy project dead line.....ooofffff.
15年前 に Erik R Hermansen によって更新されました。

RE: Is Liferay really helpfull for saving devloper time?

Junior Member 投稿: 60 参加年月日: 08/05/15 最新の投稿
That's a fantastically good question!

I'm convinced that having a JSR-186/286 portlet server is a winner. But you want to make sure you've got developers that are used to JSF/JSP web development for that to pay off quickly. And this is assuming you are going to develop portlets.

I'm less convinced that the built-in portlets are useful out-of-box than when I started. Either your organization will be flexible with its requirements to allow using the built-in portlets, or you will spend a lot of time modifying and creating your own. And I predict that development time will seem longer than it would be if you wrote from scratch or in a simpler framework, i.e. servlets or JSF.

If you have many specific aesthetic requirements then it will take a lot of time to figure out themes and layouts. And the graphic designer shouldn't start making designs and pumping out graphics until a UI-savvy developer has figured out how to make custom themes and can direct the designer. (I made this mistake and it is still hurting.) Take a good look at the existing themes to see if you can use those, or something very close to those where the part graphics are just changed a little. If you've got a boss somewhere that is saying "make this menu pop out from the bottom, and spout pixie dust, while a Flash animation feeds data to the portlets, blah blah" then maybe you have to get serious about making custom themes.

Just because you see a feature in the feature bullet list, doesn't mean it will be ready for you to use with your requirements. I guess that is the big gotcha.

* 1 month - basic setup and administration competency
* 1 month - theme and layout development competency
* 1 month - portlet development competency

After you pay that overhead, then you can start making your time back. Compare that to writing your own user authentication, template/theme engine, localization, workflow, etc. Maybe these things would take 3 months to put together too. I think your development will go better with Liferay than the in-house-built versions of the same functionality. You won't have written something with the same quality, and you won't have access to the same documentation and developers. So your productivity will be different after that 3 month mark--perhaps 75% better with Liferay. It's hard to say.

-Erik
thumbnail
15年前 に Jonas Yuan によって更新されました。

Liferay Master 投稿: 993 参加年月日: 07/04/27 最新の投稿
Definitely, Liferay is really helpful to save developer's time!!!

You will see how Liferay saves developers' time on building Sesame Street and Sesame Workshop.

Refer to

Liferay is shining in building dynamic, content-rich and ad-serving web sites

Thanks

Jonas Yuan
thumbnail

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for providing live example as an ans of my question.
Sorry to say but i didn't get any useful information about how Liferay save developers' time on building a portal.
I expect answer on how Sesame Street and Sesame Workshop achieve in his client goal as a SDLC?
If any blogs available for the same then please let me know.Its really helpful and needful for a next generation web-desktop portal for Liferay community.
I feel awesome after have a look on Sesame Street and Sesame Workshop...its Wonderful effort.

Jonas Yuan:
Definitely, Liferay is really helpful to save developer's time!!!

You will see how Liferay saves developers' time on building Sesame Street and Sesame Workshop.

Refer to

Liferay is shining in building dynamic, content-rich and ad-serving web sites

Thanks

Jonas Yuan

Best Regards,
thumbnail
15年前 に Jonas Yuan によって更新されました。

Liferay Master 投稿: 993 参加年月日: 07/04/27 最新の投稿
Hi Chirag,

You may be interested in JBOSS Portal vs Liferay Portal.

Here is the Link.

JBOSS Portal vs Liferay Portal

Good Luck!

Jonas Yuan
thumbnail
15年前 に Derek Nerenberg によって更新されました。

Junior Member 投稿: 41 参加年月日: 06/05/09 最新の投稿
Hi Chirag, can you give a baseline for comparison? Is Liferay really helpful for saving developer time compared to what? Compared to using a different portal? Compared to a ground up development effort using Java EE?

Cheers!
Derek
thumbnail

Erik, Thanks for your reply. Its true.
May I know any other alternative of liferay in the Market, which are less time consuming special in saving development time.

Jonas, its really good and useful information. Thank you very much.

Derek,
I am focusing specifically in EPD-liferay only, how to save development instant using resources who knows Java+J2ee well. Please Share information with community its really helpful of portal Architecture for saving time. For your kind information I am Interested in GWT + RPC + EJB + Façade +Hibernate + MySQL combination for asynchronous technologies.
If you know any other combination with asynchronous model then It’s really substantial.

Cheers.
thumbnail

This is helpful Link: Have a look

http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/products/portal/benefits/developerul