掲示板

All new development stopped on YUI

thumbnail
9年前 に Jelmer Kuperus によって更新されました。

All new development stopped on YUI

Liferay Legend 投稿: 1191 参加年月日: 10/03/10 最新の投稿
Yahoo engineering just announced it will stop all new development on YUI.

Many of the foundational technologies of liferay like struts 1 and YUI are going away. What will be the future of Liferay ?
thumbnail
9年前 に David H Nebinger によって更新されました。

RE: All new development stopped on YUI

Liferay Legend 投稿: 14919 参加年月日: 06/09/02 最新の投稿
Well, AUI is based on YUI, but at this point I don't think AUI is dependent on YUI. Wouldn't surprise me if they stuck with AUI, especially w/ all of the customizations they've done on the vanilla YUI...

That's kinda the big problem with javascript frameworks. They either take hold and become wildly popular (i.e. jquery, angular, ...) or they don't and eventually the cost of development cannot continue. Outside of Liferay and Yahoo themselves, I don't believe there was any momentum behind YUI...

Besides, the announcement doesn't declare it dead, it just says they're stopping new development.

Struts 1, though, I don't know they're going to go anywhere else w/ that. Since it still offers the best performance for rendering within the portal, there's really nothing better to replace it with.

P.S. Hey welcome back Jelmer!
thumbnail
9年前 に Jelmer Kuperus によって更新されました。

Liferay Legend 投稿: 1191 参加年月日: 10/03/10 最新の投稿
Since it still offers the best performance for rendering within the portal, there's really nothing better to replace it with

Spring mvc should have equivalent performance
thumbnail

For singleton portlets maybe, but reworking the 80+ portlets into a single war and get it all to work, and still get better performance than the old struts 1?

Note I'm not necessarily advocating their use of struts 1, I just grant that they (liferay) are under a completely different set of requirements, specifications and design goals that what the rest of us are.

The bigger question, I believe, is whether the new osgi architecture coming online in Liferay 7 will force changes that limit the practicality of struts 1...
thumbnail

Jelmer, thanks for the heads up on the YUI article, I submitted it to slashdot and they have it on the front page (that's a first for me emoticon):

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/14/08/31/188246/yahoo-stops-new-development-on-yui
thumbnail
9年前 に Jack Bakker によって更新されました。

Liferay Master 投稿: 978 参加年月日: 10/01/03 最新の投稿
Jelmer Kuperus:
Yahoo engineering just announced it will stop all new development on YUI.

Many of the foundational technologies of liferay like struts 1 and YUI are going away. What will be the future of Liferay ?

I'd like to think we are not lemmings with Stockholm Syndrome about to face a cliff ; oh, and never eat anything bigger than your head.

I think Jelmer has a reasonable question.

David H Nebinger:
The bigger question, I believe, is whether the new osgi architecture coming online in Liferay 7 will force changes that limit the practicality of struts 1...

Coming OSGi might offer a more forward-open architecture for core and custom portlets ?
thumbnail

Coming OSGi might offer a more forward-open architecture for core and custom portlets ?

My understanding (albeit somewhat limited at this point) was that osgi was going to finally bring the ability to cut out the cruft portlets from the core (all of the samples, games, etc) using a true modular foundation.

If that's actually going to happen in LR7, it may force complete rethink of the core portlets to make them modular in this fashion and struts 1 might not be the best way to do that.

But this is all guess and conjecture because I honestly don't know what osgi will do in LR7, hoping to hear more about it at the symposium.
thumbnail
9年前 に Jack Bakker によって更新されました。

Liferay Master 投稿: 978 参加年月日: 10/01/03 最新の投稿
I learned some from "Liferay dev.life Sessions - Ray Auge - Future of Liferay dev with OSGi" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPjmB5yj8Og

Seems the architecture towards OSGi is taking shape, but then I am guessing there is the work to shift all the core portlets into the new OSGi paradigm while setting up an approach for liferay platform developer/users doing their own custom dev - including thru IDE/Studio.

I am not sure either where lack of ongoing for Struts1/YUI affects any Liferay roadmap.