Fórum

Server Administration Options Missing from Control Panel

thumbnail
Pete Helgren, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Server Administration Options Missing from Control Panel

Regular Member Postagens: 225 Data de Entrada: 07/04/11 Postagens Recentes
I installed LR 6 and set up a new portal following (I thought) the instructions from the LR admin guide. I was struggling with setting up the SMTP settings and I realized that there isn't Server Option when I view the Control Panel. The screen shots I see show that there is a Server panel with Server Administration, Portlet Instances, Plugins Installation and Update Manager. I see none of these options even though I am set up as administrator.

So, the question is: What am I missing? I thought I set myself up properly with administrative rights but I am obviously missing something.

Thanks!
thumbnail
Jignesh Vachhani, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

RE: Server Administration Options Missing from Control Panel

Liferay Master Postagens: 803 Data de Entrada: 10/03/08 Postagens Recentes
Hi,

Might be there would be some problem in liferay setup.
Please re-setup it again.
thumbnail
Ravi Kumar Gupta, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1302 Data de Entrada: 24/06/09 Postagens Recentes
What were the steps you followed and can u please share the screenshot of whats coming now..
thumbnail
Amos Fong, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 2047 Data de Entrada: 07/10/08 Postagens Recentes
Do you have more than 1 portal instance? If so, then you need to login as the admin of the first instance or use this property:

#
# Omniadmin users can administer the portal's core functionality: gc,
# shutdown, etc. Omniadmin users must belong to the default company.
#
# Multiple portal instances might be deployed on one application server, and
# not all of the administrators should have access to this core
# functionality. Input the ids of users who are omniadmin users.
#
# Leave this field blank if users who belong to the right company and have
# the Administrator role are allowed to administer the portal's core
# functionality.
#
omniadmin.users=
thumbnail

Amos,

Where do I find this file that you are changing ?
thumbnail

It's a property inside portal.properties which is inside the portal-impl.jar. Here is a link to see it for conveniencehttp://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Portal+Properties+6.0.5.

You should make any changes to portal-ext.properties though.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 7942 Data de Entrada: 24/03/10 Postagens Recentes
I quicker way to just to view it online:
http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Portal+Properties

It's also possible to view the svn directory in portal-impl/src

BTW, I won't recommend changing this setting because it gives tenants rights to shutdown the server.
thumbnail

Ravi,

It has been about 6 weeks since I installed and setup the Portal. I remember that there were some option during setup that I am not seeing now. I started with the default installation with no sample data and then added a new organization and set myself up as administrator. Then I logged into that new organization. I remember I made some change at one point that prevented me from even being able to log in so I deleted the installation and started over. But I thought the second or third try of installing/uninstalling I was able to create a new organization and log in successfully.

In the Portal Administrator's Guide on page 68 there shot of what the screen *should* look like. Mine looks the same, except there isn't the very bottom section that says "Server".

What drove me to this was I can't figure out how to set up the SMTP settings. Every place I go it says to go to the "Server Administration" settings. Except for me there isn't such a thing.
thumbnail
Ravi Kumar Gupta, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1302 Data de Entrada: 24/06/09 Postagens Recentes
Hi Pete,

Some config might have changed. Well, to set SMTP settings you can just add a portal-ext.properties and set the SMTP properties there. for reference use portal.properties file as suggested by Amos and Hitoshi. For tomcat bundle put portal-ext.properties in ROOT/WEB-INF/Classes

The question is still there that why you cant see the Server part. Can you ack if you have done so..
1. There is a user test@liferay.com and password test which is by default user. Can you please try logging in and see if you can see the settings.
2. The new user which you are creating should have a regular role of admin to see the server settings.
3. Can you try creating a new role and give all permissions to it. And then give this role to your user and try..

I hope something is too small to get our attention here to fix.. emoticon
thumbnail

Amos and Hitoshi,

I took a look at the properties reference. So, based on what I read, if I want to override any of the properties I create a portal-ext.properties file in the liferay home directory and make any changes there. I AM running the Tomcat bundle and so Ravi says it goes in the ROOT/WEB-INF/Classes folder. In that folder at the moment are 5 portal-*.properties files so I just add another one, Correct? And yes, I know this isn't something you would normally do in production. I am trying to get familiar with Liferay and I don't plan to make this a public facing forum. I just want to be comfortable in setting up and administering the portal so I can delete and then reinstall it after making all my mistakes first emoticon

Ravi,

When I attempt to use the test@liferay.com user, I get a "The email address you requested is not registered in our database." error. I DO see that user in the DB table user_ and I DID use that user profile to set up this portal when I did the initial setup but perhaps this portal instance wasn't set up correctly. That is why I may try hacking the properties file to see if I can get the Server Administration settings back, just to see what I may have done wrong (so I don't do it again).

As far as creating a new role giving it all permissions...this is a little more challenging because the whole "permissions" thing is a little fuzzy. When I create a new role, and then click on the "Actions" button and choose "Permissions" I only see 7 permissions that I can choose from and there are multiple roles I can choose. Is this where you suggest I assign "All" permissions, because this didn't buy me anything more than I already had. HOWEVER, after selecting the "Define Permissions Permission" (that statement already confuses me) there is NOW an option to define permissions in that Role and to ADD permissions to the role. There is a LONG list of permissions that can be added and yes, one of them is "Server Administration" that is listed under control panel. I added "Server Administration" as a permission to the Role. I added myself as a member of this new role but I still don't see the Control Panel option for Server Administration even though the new role has this permission (AFAICS).

I'll try the properties hack next. I assume I need to restart Tomcat to have it pick up the new properties file?

Thanks for all the help.
thumbnail

I found that an Exception thrown when I log in:

12:17:55,661 INFO [PortalImpl:3829] Current URL /home?p_auth=2T3SIu71&p_p_id=58
o&p_p_lifecycle=1&p_p_state=maximized&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-1&p_p_col_ps=1
&p_p_col_count=2&saveLastPath=0
t&_58_struts_action=%2Flogin%2Fcreate_account generates exception: Invalid authenication token
x12:17:55,662 INFO [PortalImpl:3844] com.liferay.portal.security.auth.PrincipalEception:
Invalid authentication token
ncom.liferay.portal.security.auth.PrincipalException: Invalid authentication toke
at com.liferay.portal.security.auth.SessionAuthToken.check(SessionAuthToken.jav

Looks like this is documented and there may be a workaround available. I'll try it and see what I get but it may not be even causing the problem so I'd like to know any other ideas you folks may have.
thumbnail

OK! I hope this thread hasn't gone stale already. No posts back on my findings so far. So I am going to update with a bit more information:

I deleted the entire installation and painstakingly recreated the install again. The permissions issue seems to have gone away. The POP3 authentication error is still there. The control panel option to access Server Administration is still missing. The ONE thing I didn't do was to drop the Liferay database schema and recreate it. So, that is what I am going to do now. I'll rename the schema I have and then re-create the schema with default data and see if that get's me any closer.

I'd still like to hear from the LR team though....any more ideas?
thumbnail

Hi Pete,

I looked through the properties again, this may be the property that you want:

#
# This sets the default web id. Omniadmin users must belong to the company
# with this web id.
#
company.default.web.id=liferay.com

If you don't know your webId, in the database use this query:
select * from Company;

To set the property, create a new file portal-ext.properties with the property in it and put the file in /ROOT/WEB-INF/classes
thumbnail

RE: Server Administration Options Missing from Control Panel (Resposta)

Amos,

I was just going to post back "Success" when I saw your post. HAD I seen it first, it may have lead me to the conclusion sooner. Here is what I did to solve the issue:

I deleted the installation, but left the database but still had the same issue. I created a new database and connected to it and that solved the problem. So I worked backwards a bit. I noticed that the default install after a new install was only accessible when I used the internal IP address for Tomcat. The external address and domain would not work. So I surmised that the test@liferay.com would only access the original, internal address that I used to set up LR before I created the new portal instance. SO, I switched the database back to the old database and then attempted to get to the external portal instance, which worked (of course) but then I accessed LR using the Internal address and then THAT worked. So, I can only conclude that there is some magic that goes on when LR is installed that associates the host with the initial instance. There probably is a way that will change that behavior (perhaps your suggestion will do it).

So, using the original internal IP address to access the original portal instance was the solution, at least in my case. But I will try what you suggest and maybe that will give me access to the server administration options in the new portal instance.
thumbnail
Abdollah Esmaeilpour, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 60 Data de Entrada: 22/08/09 Postagens Recentes
I had a similar problem. I had upgraded from 5.2.3 to 6.0.6 and could not see 'Server' section in Control Panel. Root of my problem was a role name stored in table 'Portlet' column 'roles' for portlet 'Enterprise Admin' with id '79'. That role was not defined in table 'Role_'. I removed mentioned role name from table 'Portlet' and the problem solved.