Fórum

Best way to structure a portal

Nick Snels, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Best way to structure a portal

New Member Postagens: 3 Data de Entrada: 25/03/13 Postagens Recentes
Hi,

for the last week I have been reading about sites (communities), organizations and categories. But I still do not know for sure what the best way is to structure my site. I would like to start a car community site. I was thinking about the following structure:

Sports
  • Nascar
  • F1
    • Red Bull
    • Mercedes
    • Ferrari

Ford
Chevrolet
  • Corvette
    • C1
    • C2

Ferrari

I read that you can not have child sites (sub communities). Would an organization fit this model better or are there better options. I have been playing with sites, but noticed that once you have many of them managing all of them can become tedious. Which configuration makes most sense? Thanks.

Kind regards,

Nick
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

RE: Best way to structure a portal

Liferay Legend Postagens: 7942 Data de Entrada: 24/03/10 Postagens Recentes
It depends on where you need to have web pages and how you're thinking about managing users and permissions to the pages.

I guess webpages are required everywhere, as well as blogs, forums, calendars, ... . In the beginning there will be one admin (me), guests have read permissions on the whole site and signed in users can post on the forums, have a blog, ... In the future the site will require more admins, that can manage sub sites/organizations.

Kind regards,

Nick
gofri _, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 92 Data de Entrada: 02/03/07 Postagens Recentes
This tree is a good candidate for vocabularies/categories.
Creating a site for every sport/brand can be overkill.
What should be the difference between "Mercedes" and "Ferrari" from user Pov? - do they have separate blogs/forums/users/permissions, or can be just different pages? The simple solution for start is with a single site with different pages and categorization of the content. Blogs can be per user, You can go with 1 forum with different categories.

I went through the specifications for Liferay 6.2 and noticed that it will include a feature that allows the creation of sub sites (http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-27158?page=com.atlassian.streams.streams-jira-plugin:activity-stream-issue-tab#issue-tabs). This resembles what I have in mind. So I am going to try to install 6.2 M4 and see if it fits my requirements.

Is is easy to upgrade a milestone version to the next milestone version or final release? Or shouldn't it be used as production environment?

Kind regards,

Nick
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 7942 Data de Entrada: 24/03/10 Postagens Recentes
Is is easy to upgrade a milestone version to the next milestone version or final release? Or shouldn't it be used as production environment?

Can't say. I don't think liferay guarantees upgrade on the milestone releases. They often change this and that in the database table when adding functionalities.
I personally don't recommend that you use the milestone with a plan to "easily" upgrade to the GA in the future.