Fórum

public and private layout properties dynamically configurable

thumbnail
Aniceto P Madrid, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

public and private layout properties dynamically configurable

Regular Member Postagens: 120 Data de Entrada: 24/05/08 Postagens Recentes
If you want to host a number of portals in the same server, you can find easily you cannot cope with all requirements. Some portals may want users don't have public pages, or private pages have a predefined not user modifiable design. Other portals may want different settings.

Those settings are properties at server level, and cannot be changed without rebooting.

Having default layout properties at server level is OK, but it should be better if they can be overriden during runtime at portal level; better if they can be overriden later with a regular role.

Aniceto Perez
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

RE: public and private layout properties dynamically configurable

Liferay Legend Postagens: 2034 Data de Entrada: 05/03/09 Postagens Recentes
I don't see why ANY of that stuff is being stored sever wide when Liferay is perfectly capable of virtual hosting!! I want liferay to be more widely adopted so I can make more money emoticon
thumbnail
Aniceto P Madrid, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 120 Data de Entrada: 24/05/08 Postagens Recentes
Lisa

It's important to consider the amount of resources Liferay requires. If there are a few users or a lew load for a portal, it shoud be shared with others with also low requierements, and lower maintenance cost.

So I think there are two main scenarios:

1. a portal hoster, "good for all", in which you han host many different small portals using virtual hosting. In this case the ability to create or not private/public pages for users or default designs cannot be made server wide

2. a company specific portal: the difference between server and portal is near neglectablable

I agree with you, if I've understood you OK, that many current server parameterers should be overrideable at portal level at least, and many of them also at lower levels

Aniceto
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 2034 Data de Entrada: 05/03/09 Postagens Recentes
It doesn't make any sense at all, especially in a virtual hosting environment, to lock down the entire liferay instance to a specific configuration. The configuration should be tied to the ORG, Community, Group, or even the User. Nothing, except perhaps the IP, should ever be tied to the instance.

The default calendar portlet is a prime example. In order to add options to the drop down for "Event Type" in the Calendar, I have to add them to the entire Liferay instance by editing the portal-ext.properties and restarting the server. So if I'm hosting Widgets, Inc. and Woozles, Inc. on the same instance they BOTH get the same calendar options. BLECH!!!! And neither can be edited without having to relaunch Liferay - DOUBLE BLECH!!! You should not have to relaunch the entire server to get a minor configuration change.