Fórum

Running Portal and Social Office in parrallel

thumbnail
Hennie de Villiers, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Running Portal and Social Office in parrallel

Junior Member Postagens: 78 Data de Entrada: 01/04/09 Postagens Recentes
Hi Forum

I plan to deploy Liferay Portal using openSolaris 2009.06, Sun Webstack, Glassfishv2.1 and MySQL5.1 and would also like to run Open Office on the same server.

I am relatively new to Glassfish and Liferay and need some step by step guidance how to achieve this.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards
thumbnail
Zsolt Balogh, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

RE: Running Portal and Social Office in parrallel

Expert Postagens: 463 Data de Entrada: 23/03/09 Postagens Recentes
Hi,

You need the application servers to use different ports.

It need to be changed in one of them, here are your options:
  • Social office: it uses tomcat application server, so you should edit conf/server.xml
  • Glassfish: If it's not installed, then, before install, you should edit the setup.xml file. If it's already installed, then the file is domains/domain1/domain.xml

The only port needs to be changed is 8080.
thumbnail
Mickey Fox, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

RE: Running Portal and Social Office in parrallel

Junior Member Postagens: 60 Data de Entrada: 15/07/09 Postagens Recentes
Hennie: I might suggest running these in two separate VM instances - I have deployed both (Liferay and SO), but on separate servers as I am uncertain as to how the two might interact if placed on the same server.

At any rate, the prior poster is correct re Tomcat and re-directing the port (server.xml), however, it is my understanding that you would not be able to run them both in the same tomcat instance without problems. I am compkletely uncertain as to how Glassfish would handle them.

I might point you to Bryan Chung's response to my question in the "Social Office Questions" thread as to how Hooks and JSP conflict re SO and Portal.
thumbnail
Liviu Cismaru, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

RE: Running Portal and Social Office in parrallel (Glassfish)

New Member Postagens: 14 Data de Entrada: 10/09/08 Postagens Recentes
Hi Hennie,

I am looking at the same scenario with my developers: running both Liferay & SQ inside the same Glassfish web container.
Did you solve this in the meanwhile? If yes could you provide any advice.

I wouldn't see why SO wouldn't work on the same Glassfish where LR is installed - in fact in a simplistic way SO is just another portlet to be deployed in the portlet container. The portlet container just a servlet running on Glassfish.

While I am not anymore a hands-on person myself, with a few years of system architecture in my resume I am sure somebody will make this work if it isn't already done. If we'll be the first ones we'll share the hints & challenges, however for now still looking for advice as we're just starting to work on this integration.

Best regards,
Liviu

Liviu Cismaru
Accentway Inc.
http://www.accentway.com
Geneva, Switzerland
thumbnail
Hennie de Villiers, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

RE: Running Portal and Social Office in parrallel (Glassfish)

Junior Member Postagens: 78 Data de Entrada: 01/04/09 Postagens Recentes
Hi Liviu

My production needs right now are more related to Portal and I have not spend a lot of time on SO. I decided to wait with SO until the next release to see what direction it will take. From what I understand this should be around Jan.

Since SO only ships for Tomcat, we left it at that by running Tomcat on port 8090 and Glassfish on 8080. It seems to work fine but we did not test this dual config in a full production environment. Should however not be a problem as long as each has 1GB of RAM.