Fórum

Liferay Social Office 1.5 beta 1 Now Available

thumbnail
Bryan Cheung, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Liferay Social Office 1.5 beta 1 Now Available

Expert Postagens: 373 Data de Entrada: 27/08/04 Postagens Recentes
Hi Everyone,

I'm happy to announce that the next beta release of Social Office is now available. Thank you everyone for your feedback and your tremendous patience through this process.

You can find the new Windows Installer version here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lportal/files/Liferay%20Social%20Office/1.5%20B/liferay-social-office-1.5b.exe/download

And the zipped version for other platforms here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lportal/files/Liferay%20Social%20Office/1.5%20B/liferay-social-office-1.5b.zip/download

We decided to increase the version number to 1.5 because there were some changes to the feature set, but these were not major enough to warrant a full point release increment.

For those of you signed up for the Early Adopter Program, we will be sending more information this coming week. If anyone is still interested in becoming an Early Adopter, please let us know.

Best,
Bryan
thumbnail
Lari Tuominen, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

RE: Liferay Social Office 1.5 beta 1 Now Available

Expert Postagens: 283 Data de Entrada: 07/11/07 Postagens Recentes
Hi Bryan,

Is there release notes for SO 1.5 beta?

- Lari
thumbnail

thumbnail
Lari Tuominen, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Expert Postagens: 283 Data de Entrada: 07/11/07 Postagens Recentes
Thanks Bryan!

- Lari
Jon Goldberg, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 7 Data de Entrada: 10/03/08 Postagens Recentes
Hi,

Is there a way to upgrade from SO1.01b to 1.5b without creating a new schema and losing all the jack rabbit files?

Thanks,

Jon
thumbnail

Tom Witmer, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 22 Data de Entrada: 27/07/09 Postagens Recentes
Bryan Cheung:
Hi, Jon check out this blog entry:

http://www.liferay.com/web/minhchau.dang/blog/-/blogs/updating-document-library-hooks

If I read this right, this looks like running some custom code in order to export/import the documents in jackrabbit. What about the schema? Were there no schema changes from 1.01b to 1.5b1?

Better yet, can I assume the final released version of Social Office will have migration support to simplify future upgrades? Will any of that be included in the betas?

I'm worried that migration from 1.01b to 1.5b may be painful, which is okay if doable. But if it's painful again from 1.5b to whatever-final, then maybe I should hold off until the final is released. What would you advise?
thumbnail

Tom Witmer:
Bryan Cheung:
Hi, Jon check out this blog entry:

http://www.liferay.com/web/minhchau.dang/blog/-/blogs/updating-document-library-hooks

If I read this right, this looks like running some custom code in order to export/import the documents in jackrabbit. What about the schema? Were there no schema changes from 1.01b to 1.5b1?

Better yet, can I assume the final released version of Social Office will have migration support to simplify future upgrades? Will any of that be included in the betas?

I'm worried that migration from 1.01b to 1.5b may be painful, which is okay if doable. But if it's painful again from 1.5b to whatever-final, then maybe I should hold off until the final is released. What would you advise?

Tom, the next release of SO will actually have a built in upgrade mechanism for the code, but I'm not sure whether it will include the document migration. I will try to find out for you.
Tom Witmer, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 22 Data de Entrada: 27/07/09 Postagens Recentes
OK, that's good to know. For my usage, I think we just need to migrate forums and users, which we can probably do by hand. Thanks for the update.
Eric Klopfer, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 23 Data de Entrada: 17/04/08 Postagens Recentes
I tried out this version on a Mac (OS X 10.5) today. It is looking much improved. However, I found that after playing around with file uploading (one time it was re-uploading an existing file, the other time, merely making a folder) I found that the site lost its theme and there was no way to get it back. That is it looked like the (hopefully) attached file. Rebooting liferay didn't seem to help, only starting with a fresh copy got it back. There were no exceptions in catalina.out.

Any ideas what might be wrong here?
thumbnail

Hi Eric,

I ran into that issue as well but I thought it was local to my environment. We'll be looking into it for the first patch release.
Rob Dorocke, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

New Member Mensagem: 1 Data de Entrada: 18/12/09 Postagens Recentes
Eric Klopfer:
I tried out this version on a Mac (OS X 10.5) today. It is looking much improved. However, I found that after playing around with file uploading (one time it was re-uploading an existing file, the other time, merely making a folder) I found that the site lost its theme and there was no way to get it back. That is it looked like the (hopefully) attached file. Rebooting liferay didn't seem to help, only starting with a fresh copy got it back. There were no exceptions in catalina.out.

Any ideas what might be wrong here?

I'm seeing the same thing. Sometimes the styling will come back after multiple simultaneous reboots of the app server, sometimes it will come back only with a reboot of the physical machine.
thumbnail
Hennie de Villiers, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 78 Data de Entrada: 01/04/09 Postagens Recentes
Hi Bryan

Thanks for this release. Looking forward to dig into it.

I want to run a proof of concept instance that will involve around 400 users therefore it need to be "semi-production" grade. (We do not want to fall over too many times). This may expand rapidly as these users are all members of different small businesses and may choose to include fellow workers and staff.

We hope this will unlock a new venture in the process and may need to continue with it as full production with around 2,000 users.

Our aims are mainly:
1. To study the adoption rate and usage patterns
2. To determine end user support requirements and load
3. To aggregate new ideas and user requirements for portlets
4. To experiment with alternative revenue generating streams
5. To stress test Social Office and better understand hosting platform requirements

Our take-on platform is an Amazon EC2 server (small instance i.e. ~ 5 x zeon processors, 1.7MB RAM). Any rough estimate of how many users with medium load this could potentially serve?

I realise we are doing beta, but what would you recommend? Running the download or using the SVN repository?

If SVN, what is the location of the repository?

Any other ideas or thoughts will be help full.
thumbnail

Hi Hennie,

I think you'll be fine under the projected load. I'm assuming you'll configure a conn to a real DB and not attempt to run it using Hypersonic.

Our benchmarks currently show being able to support 3300 concurrent users on a single server (that's approx 33,000 users assuming 1 of 10 are active at a given time).

Whether you use SVN or the build is up to you, but it's a complicated build process that hits several repositories, so you might just want to use the build.
thumbnail
Hennie de Villiers, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 78 Data de Entrada: 01/04/09 Postagens Recentes
Hi Bryan

Thanks for the feedback. With reference to the server, what would the typical hardware configuration be for supporting around 30,000 users.

What resources mostly affect scale e.g. Operating System, Processor speed, RAM, Disk speed / Space, Connectivity i.e bandwidth.

Which server technology would be best for large Liferay installations? Tomcat, Glassfish or other.