Liferay migration from 5.2.3 to 6.2

Carlos Jesus, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Liferay migration from 5.2.3 to 6.2

New Member Mensagem: 1 Data de Entrada: 16/07/14 Postagens Recentes
Hi,

I have more or less 100 portlets in ext environment on liferay 5.2.3
I need to migrate this portlets to liferay 6.2
What is the best way to do this?
Can I maintain the ext environment in 6.2?

Thanks
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

RE: Liferay migration from 5.2.3 to 6.2

Liferay Legend Postagens: 14916 Data de Entrada: 02/09/06 Postagens Recentes
prepare for hours and days and yes, even weeks and months of pain (for 100 portlets). Unless you build a theme that includes jquery, you're looking at an across the board migration of javascript from jquery to AUI. The APIs have undergone extensive changes that will have to be addressed, ... Your theme will need extensive rework to be compatible w/ 6.2 as styles and classes have changed.

Best way to do this? I'd download the 6.2 SDK and start building portlet plugins in there. Create a new plugin, copy/paste the files from an old 5.2.3 portlet to the new plugin and start resolving issues. When you get a clean compile, then deploy it to a bundle and test thoroughly, fixing errors there until it works. Then check the plugin into your SCM tool. Wash, rinse, and repeat until all 100 are done.

Can you maintain the extension environment? Absolutely not. It no longer exists and is not an option. Your old extension environment has to be migrated to an EXT plugin and hook plugins.
Aravinth Raj Raju, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 27 Data de Entrada: 03/10/11 Postagens Recentes
Dear David,

I have Liferay portal(5.x) running in production environment. Now we want to migrate to Liferay 6.2 with same portlets, themes, data(layout, sites, users, permissions,etc).

Please give an approach to start with this migration. Is there any migration strategy?

Thanks,
Aravinth Raj R.
thumbnail
Suresh Nimmakayala, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 690 Data de Entrada: 18/08/04 Postagens Recentes
let me tell you Aravinth & Carlos

you can't just go from 5.X to 6.2 you have to do 6.0 first then 6.1 & 6.2 depends on data that's what i did

as David said above is right,i have same issue we have 50-60 ext portlets migrated 5.2.3 Ext to 6.0 , man best option i thought is developed again portlets,themes. using plugin environment
written a script to migrate old data into new tables & lot of testing and debugging.

Develop portlets & Theme in plugin environment
you need to get live data --- sync data on dev -- portal properties settings -- upgrade liferay script - now as David said Wash, rinse, and repeatemoticon
thumbnail

Suresh Nimmakayala:
you can't just go from 5.X to 6.2 you have to do 6.0 first then 6.1 & 6.2 depends on data that's what i did

Well actually that's not the official line. As far as the upgrade goes, you can go to 6.2 directly as long as you have all of the right properties defined and have patience enough to fix data issues and try again. 6.2 has all of the info necessary to internally migrate your database from 5.x up to 6.2 directly.

That said, sometimes it is [mentally] easier to stop at the major milestones like 6.0.6 and 6.1 GA3, if only to give yourself a checkpoint to roll back to and isolate the changes that a particular environ will bring. For example, 6.1 to 6.2 there's the image gallery -> docs & media migration, so when you migrate from 6.1 to 6.2 and something breaks you're just dealing with those issues and not the entire upgrade.

Portlets, themes, etc. well they are really different. In 5.2 you will of course have a lot of jquery javascript in your portlets and themes, but in the 6.x line Liferay uses all AUI. Now you can still pull in jquery (we do that a lot), but if your jquery depends on the old Liferay jquery methods and objects, well then you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

Those I'd migrate directly to 6.2 via the plugin SDK (you get no value in migrating your portlet code to 6.0 and/or 6.1 first), but your code will seem very, very broken due to all of the changes that have gone in over the years.
thumbnail
Suresh Nimmakayala, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 690 Data de Entrada: 18/08/04 Postagens Recentes
yes David you might be right , over the years doing so many upgrades , might missed some steps because i am working since Liferay Portal Enterprise 3.2.0, emoticon that's why i said depends of dataemoticon
Aravinth Raj Raju, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 27 Data de Entrada: 03/10/11 Postagens Recentes
Hi David & Suresh,

Thanks for your inputs. I assume the below steps will do good for migration.
5.x to 6. 0 CE
6.0 CE to 6.1 CE
6.1 CE to 6.2 EE

Please correct me, if I’m wrong anywhere.

Thanks,
Aravinth Raj R.
thumbnail

Be sure to use the latest release in each version, i.e. 6.0.6 and 6.1 GA3.

Otherwise be sure to follow proper upgrade steps (i.e. take full backup of DB and data directory before each upgrade in case rollback is necessary).
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 978 Data de Entrada: 03/01/10 Postagens Recentes
Suresh Nimmakayala:
yes David you might be right , over the years doing so many upgrades , might missed some steps because i am working since Liferay Portal Enterprise 3.2.0, emoticon that's why i said depends of dataemoticon

I did v5.2.3 to v6.0.6 to v6.1 ce to v6.2 ee ; I went version to next higher version and at each step had to follow up on logs telling me to address db key issues where had to delete pg db records from this or that to make it work ; not a lot of fun but as long as logging is good, it can be worked out
thumbnail
Vitaliy Koshelenko, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Expert Postagens: 319 Data de Entrada: 25/03/11 Postagens Recentes