Fórum

Social Office to Liferay Portal Migration

thumbnail
Andrew Clements, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Social Office to Liferay Portal Migration

New Member Postagens: 17 Data de Entrada: 06/06/08 Postagens Recentes
It's not something I'm looking at doing right away, but I wouldn't be suprised that having introduced something like SO into a team/office/project, that it grows to a point where customisation requirements mean converting to Standard or Enterprise Liferay would be easier than attempting to alter the Social Office version.

I am wondering what might be involved to making this change. Is there documentation specing what properties and/or db configurations 'lock' Liferay into the Social Office version?

Would it be possible to write a script or control panel module that reconfigures SO?
thumbnail
Jonas Yuan, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

RE: Social Office to Liferay Portal Migration

Liferay Master Postagens: 993 Data de Entrada: 27/04/07 Postagens Recentes
Hi Andrew,

The SO is a specific portal instance - with special theme called so-theme and hooks called so-portlet.

The so-portlet disables some functions of generic portal - making it different from generic portal ...

What's different between SO and the portal? No big differences ...
Database - same
Control Panel - same
No migration in need ... :-)

Bringing SO back to the portal: simply delete so-theme and so-portlet. That's it.

For example, the SO (1.5b) is built based on portal 5.2.3. You can play with SO plus control panel in

1) go to http://liferay.cignex.com:9090
2) login as jonas/jonas

go to Control Panel ... you would see portal 5.2.3 ... :-)

For portal 5.3, you can play at
http://liferay.cignex.com
same account ... as that of SO ...

You will find the difference between SO and portal ...

Hope that it helps.

Thanks

Jonas Yuan
-----------------
The Author of Liferay Books:
Liferay Portal 5.2 Systems Development
Liferay Portal Enterprise Intranets
Marco Bolzan, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 47 Data de Entrada: 03/09/09 Postagens Recentes
Hi,

there is an important thread linked with this here
http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/4060260

My experience about a migration from SO to Portal is in line with Jonas indications, there are no problems of db data;
I migrate to a Portal cluster environment and my difficulty was only on documents manage by jackrabbit and cache shared,
bbut his is an other argument.

My thought about integrate Social Office in Liferay Portal is different from some threads I read.
SO and Portal are build for different intents, you can have So in a Portal istance only by some configuration of the portal,
inserting portlets you want, permissions ecc ecc..
But So it's a weel-made closed istance of Portal, I think is important not force So to seem and work like a Portal..

it's my opinion

Marco Bolzan
thumbnail
Andrew Clements, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 17 Data de Entrada: 06/06/08 Postagens Recentes
This seems most excellent - better than I was hoping.

As we use SO more, the more we like the collaboration effect of it within the office. That's when you wish you could pull in a bit of extra functionality, like maybe a Jira portlet, or a job time tracking portlet etc. So the ability to extend SO a little (without hacking away at config files) so that it integrates with other office applications (many are web-based now) would seem like a logical step at some point in it's evolution. Not to the extent that Liferay SE/Enterprise offers, but to some level.

However, it's nice to know that should we want to do a complete rejig of the portal, we wouldn't be up for a complicated migration task.

Thanks.
Vinod V, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 31 Data de Entrada: 29/09/09 Postagens Recentes
I too have a very similar requirement; to use both Social Office and Liferay portal (for additional custom and off-the-shelf portlets). How I thought about it was to use two separate installations and then consume Social Office in a Liferay Portal Page. The additional portlets and functionalities that the users require would be provided in the other pages of the Liferay portal. However, I would need to implement a single-sign on solution for seamless usage.

Is there any better approach to this?