Fórum

Dedicated project site (like communities)

thumbnail
Hennie de Villiers, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Dedicated project site (like communities)

Junior Member Postagens: 78 Data de Entrada: 01/04/09 Postagens Recentes
It seems that Projects under a personal profiles merely serves a log of project involvement or experience without any other functionality.

Here with an idea to take projects a next level in Social Office:

When creating a Project a dedicated project community site is created by default using the same functionality as per Liferay Portal when creating a community. This then gets populated with very much the same portlets as per My Home, but being project and not user specific.

It will also make a lot of sense if one could link tasks and activities to a project site upon creation anywhere and so to speak create a mini project management environment.

In terms of navigation on My Home Page, add projects with drop down of project communities you belong to i.e.
Home Profile Projects Mail

Also consider to add My Projects alongside My Sites.

When visiting the Project "community" then Tasks specific to the project should display.
When visiting My Home, task are also display, but flagged by project and sortable in any way needed.

The tagging is fine, but being able to view tasks by project would have many advantages and creates the scene for more project oriented development to follow.
thumbnail
Bryan Cheung, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

RE: Dedicated project site (like communities)

Expert Postagens: 373 Data de Entrada: 27/08/04 Postagens Recentes
Hi Hennie,

Would Project Sites be full-fledged like the Team Sites, with Calendar, Docs, Forums, Wiki, Blogs, etc.?

Can you mock up some wireframes of what Project Sites would look like?
thumbnail

Hi Bryan

For starters I think one can create projects as follows:

1. MyProjects sites can be very similar to the MySites theme but include the task portlet that contains tasks specific to that project.
2. This will imply that the task portlet need to make provision to select or create a project on the fly when entering action data.
3. The task portlet needs to be more prominent on a MyProject site and preferable should display above the activities portlet as per current MySite theme.

The cause and effect is that if I visit MyHome I can view al my tasks with some additional functionality to sort tasks by projects, groups, order, dates, user, etc. When I visit the Project site I will see all the tasks that relate only to that project including my own.

A next step would be to consider to extend the task portlet functionality to become more of a mini project management tool.
A first step would be to have the ability to group and concatenate tasks in a logical order and to view it as a very basic gant chart.

This is something that has been missing in Liferay for a long time and if social office really want to fly, I would consider this as critical functionality. Too many other competitors already offer similar functionality.
thumbnail

Bryan Cheung:
Hi Hennie,

Would Project Sites be full-fledged like the Team Sites, with Calendar, Docs, Forums, Wiki, Blogs, etc.?

?

The ProjecSite should then include a tasks tab that zooms in on the tasks portlet with mini project management like functionality.

* Home
* Tasks
* Calendar
* Documents
* Forums
* Blog
* Wiki
* Members