Fórum

How far can i go in styling themes

Bart Van Hecke, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

How far can i go in styling themes

New Member Postagens: 7 Data de Entrada: 05/09/13 Postagens Recentes
Hi,

I'm absolutely new to Liferay but for a client of ours i need to theme a Liferay portal site and as means of research i would like to know how easy this is in Liferay as compared to a Wordpress or Drupal? Can i propose a freely made design to a client and expect to build it in Liferay afterwards or are there rules or standards i need to watch out for?

Knowing this might seem like a vague question, it's also ok to point me in the right direction to related links.
I have searched myself but i only seem to get stuck on links that always repeat the same things.

Thanks a bunch

B

RE: How far can i go in styling themes

I forgot to say, i found Liferay Training Days online (especially this course is interesting to me: https://www.liferay.com/services/training/topics/themes)
but they take place in cities not so near.
is there a way i can download the course (by paying if needed of course)

thx
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 14919 Data de Entrada: 02/09/06 Postagens Recentes
Liferay themes are entities all of their own...

Liferay uses a set of custom CSS classes that are tied to every individual widget on a page.

If you had some sort of mock up to start with, you then have to create a theme project and start editing CSS/SASS files to apply the styles to all necessary classes.

I believe it takes time, skill, and patience to create a good Liferay theme, but I work with great UI/Theme guys who make it look so darn easy.

I don't know how much the docs/projects from training would help; most of what the instructor is going to do is explain in detail about themes and assist while you work through the examples. You'd have non of the explanations and no assistance working the examples, so I don't know they would be worth anything on their own.

Hi david,

Thanks for your clarification.
Forgive me for asking, i have no experience in Liferay but have read quite a bit about it.

When you say create a theme project, do you mean create a new theme by giving that theme a name and stuffing it with portlets in one or other grid that Liferay offers? If so, am i not stuck with only styling each portlet within that grid? What if i want to change the structure of the grid?
Or do you actually mean develop a new theme from scratch like you would create (or develop) a portlet?

Furthermore, does Liferay not offer an extensive set of themes to choose from (like Drupal or Wordpress)? Because quite honestly, the themes i came to see from Liferay do feel a little outdated and i can't seem to find very many in the Marketplace. I read somewhere (http://liferaycms.wordpress.com/2011/01/07/liferay-themes-are-not-so-easy-to-find-and-buy/) that this was a problem at Liferay,but that post dates from 2011 so i don't know if they handled it yet.

Thx again
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 14919 Data de Entrada: 02/09/06 Postagens Recentes
To develop for liferay, we create separate plugin projects. These are used to create portlets or hooks (overrides on Liferay core), layout templates, and another type is the theme.

So a coder will create a new theme plugin project, define a parent theme to inherit from, then add override files to replace the parent theme class definitions with their own.

No, there are not a lot of themes like there are with wordpress. Wordpress is really targeted towards individuals, not corporations, so they have lots of themes floating around out there for you to take advantage of.

Liferay, on the other hand, is really more for the enterprise (IMHO). There, the enterprise doesn't just pick some off the shelf theme, they typically already have a color palette, images, and often an existing website they want the Liferay theme to mimic.

Liferay offers as part of the core two foundation themes (unstyled and styled, you use the first when you want to write everything for the theme or the second if you want a basic starting point) and the classic theme. The classic theme is very simple, and it is meant to show off a few Liferay features but not be the center point of a Liferay demo.

From a marketplace perspective, there's just no money in creating wordpress-like themes, as they really won't do well. Enterprises might like some of the things in the MP theme, but in the end they're going to want it customized for their needs. So at most the MP themes become examples (i.e. the Zoe themes) or "marketing" (showing what the company/consultant can do and they would bring their skills to your theme project).
thumbnail
Wouter Vernaillen, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 80 Data de Entrada: 06/06/09 Postagens Recentes
Dag Bart

To answer your first questions in this thread, it is possible to create a design first and then create a Liferay theme afterwards. For html and css it's best if you base it on bootstrap 2.3 from the start, that will make it easy to make a Liferay theme out of it, since the theming system in Liferay 6.2.x is based on bootstrap 2.3.

It is important though, before creating the design, to have some understanding about layout templates and how portlets are put on the page.
The grid you mentioned, for example, is defined by a layout template. It is possible to created your own layout template if you want something else then the standard Liferay grids, and then package this layout template together with your theme.
thumbnail
Patrick Wolf, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 127 Data de Entrada: 15/09/10 Postagens Recentes
Hi,

If not done already, you may have a look at the developer's guide, which is a good start. As David mentioned, there are no out of the box themes and you will have to develop one from scratch that matches your company's flag and graphic chart. What you call « grid » may be what liferay calls « Layout Templates » in which you can choose to set one, two, three or more columns in a page. Each one of the columns containing one or more portlets.
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 3089 Data de Entrada: 28/10/08 Postagens Recentes
If you want to re-use existing bootstrap (2.x) themes and use them in Liferay, I provide here the needed steps:

https://www.liferay.com/web/juan.gonzalez/blog/-/blogs/using-existing-bootstrap-themes-in-liferay-part-i-

https://www.liferay.com/web/juan.gonzalez/blog/-/blogs/using-existing-bootstrap-themes-in-liferay-part-ii-

You don't almost need any knowledge of Bootstrap to follow this, as I used existing theme generators round there.

Thanks for all the amazing answers!
It really helped a lot, i have a better understanding now of what's possible
I guess I'll just have to dive in and get to know it!