Fórum

Next Version : 6.2.2 GA3 OR 7.0

nadi h, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Next Version : 6.2.2 GA3 OR 7.0

New Member Postagens: 21 Data de Entrada: 23/07/13 Postagens Recentes
There are many many bug fixes in portlets after 6.2.1 GA2 release date. Due to changes in some utilities in kernel and also changes in asset portlet, making a simple patch in source code takes a few hours (sometimes one-two days for a few lines of code !). (I patch bugs by find the issue and apply committed codes from GitHub into local source repository)
Will be a next version with all bug fixed in 6.2.x series ? Or we have to wait until next major version (possibly 7.0 or anything incompatible with 6.2.x) ?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

RE: Next Version : 6.2.2 GA3 OR 7.0

Liferay Legend Postagens: 14916 Data de Entrada: 02/09/06 Postagens Recentes
No idea.

But 7.0 will not be bug fixes, it's a completely different animal.

Whether there is a 6.2 GA3 or 6.3 or something, well that's up to Liferay.

Note, however, that CE plays many roles, but "be my production internet portal server" was never really meant to be one of them. If you have this specific need, you really should be using EE if only to get regular patch releases, security fixes, etc.
thumbnail
James Falkner, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

RE: Next Version : 6.2.2 GA3 OR 7.0 (Resposta)

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1399 Data de Entrada: 17/09/10 Postagens Recentes
David H Nebinger:

Whether there is a 6.2 GA3 or 6.3 or something, well that's up to Liferay.

We are planning on doing another 6.2 CE release (GA3) before 7.0 is out - we're compiling the list of fixes now, but if you have any feedback or specific fixes you'd like to see, add your vote to JIRA and list them here and the release team will do its best to include them (of course, not all will make it, especially those that are difficult to backport, are new features, or are otherwise not applicable to 6.2 users).
thumbnail
Krzysztof Gołębiowski, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 549 Data de Entrada: 25/06/11 Postagens Recentes
That's a really good information. James, do you know when it may happen (approximately)?

We are just after go-live of our first CE GA2 installation and I have a large list of bugs, some of which are fixed on master already, the others are not. Putting it all together and preparing pull requests is on my to-do list and I would like to make it before new version is released.

Regards,
KG

Thanks Liferay Team. Any (approximate) schedule ? 1/2/3 months ? before 2015 ?
thumbnail

Again, I really must iterate that when you need bugfixes, you need support, you need an internet facing website... For any of these things you should be using EE. You guys waiting on a CE release will find yourselves in the same boat for months...

Someone w/ lots of time on their hands can pick out patches from git and apply them manually to the source and do a build, but boy does that get old quick. And the more 7.0 changes make it into the core, the harder it will be.
thumbnail

Hello David,
In our CE installations we provide support both for custom portlets as well as for Liferay core. Usually first projects after new major CE release are the hardest, we have to fix all found bugs or backport the fixes from Liferay's master.

Every release I create fork for current Liferay's version, apply all the fixes (git cherry-picking some of them from main repo). Then we set up Jenkins to build it all together and for new clients we have brand new patched Liferay's distribution.

I had few EE projects but they are still in the minority. Usually the budgets are too small to buy enterprise edition (or it would be just cost uneffective) and in other cases the requirements are so specific that we use only some of Liferay's features. This is how the market looks like in Poland (and propably in many other eastern countries), maybe in few years it will change emoticon

Regards,
KG
thumbnail

Sounds good, Krzysztof, but there are a bunch of folks who come to the forums as one-offs trying to do their own thing but don't realize the work involved. You must admit if you had to do all of that work for a single 6.2 CE deployment it would be a huge amount of work/money for very little return

It's for those folks that the "use EE instead" message was for... They need to know the uphill battle they face and must be able to compare the cost of self maintenance vs EE and it's support package...
thumbnail

Yes, this is something I totally agree with. If you are not an experienced Liferay developer and don't know much about Liferay's core, you shouldn't consider using CE in production as you may not handle bugs on your own. Especially if the installation is clustered, it is very hard to run it on CE without having adequate knowledge.

Regards,
KG
thumbnail

nadi h:
Thanks Liferay Team. Any (approximate) schedule ? 1/2/3 months ? before 2015 ?

I stopped giving out dates long ago emoticon But I can say for certain that it will be before 7.0 is done emoticon and 7.0 is currently targeted for the second half of 2015. So we'll see!
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 978 Data de Entrada: 03/01/10 Postagens Recentes
While Greed is one of the seven deadly sins.. a heads up is not... that said, the OSGi initiative should change things significantly with respect to moving to incremental bundle releases instead of just huge major releases... is patience an anti-sin, perhaps even a virtue ? Anyways... I am guessing there are good things coming.

James Falkner:

We are planning on doing another 6.2 CE release (GA3) before 7.0 is out.

any chance to include AlloyUI 4. (maybe a JIRA requirement in the forum ;) )
thumbnail

if it's the aui4 that will be based on jquery, I wouldn't hold your breath.
thumbnail

nadi h:
James Falkner:

We are planning on doing another 6.2 CE release (GA3) before 7.0 is out.

any chance to include AlloyUI 4. (maybe a JIRA requirement in the forum ;) )

This would be too much change for a "dot" release - not to mention AUI 4 is not finished yet emoticon

any plan for java 8.0 compatibility in 6.2 GA3 ? there are a few features in java 8 that make life a bit easier for java developers (I really like new Date api and Lambdas)
thumbnail

Most of Liferay's past compatibility issues (i.e. java 7) were due to the 3rd party jar compatibility issues, i.e. lucene.jar was not compatible for the longest time even though the Liferay code was fine.

So if you want to know when it would possibly be ready, start checking the status of all of the 3rd party jars for java 8 compatibility; When they're ready, then come back and ask why Liferay isn't ready yet.
Daniel Niklas, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 46 Data de Entrada: 08/11/10 Postagens Recentes
Hi,

is support for Wildfly (8.0/8.1) inlcuded in Liferay 6.2 GA3?
... LPS-44194 and LPS-47477 are already closed/fixed. Will it be included?

best regards
Daniel
Jan Tošovský, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 566 Data de Entrada: 22/07/10 Postagens Recentes
James Falkner:
...if you have any feedback or specific fixes you'd like to see, add your vote to JIRA and list them here and the release team will do its best to include them.

Updating CKEditor please: https://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-43852
The current version has many issues in IE.
Jan Tošovský, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 566 Data de Entrada: 22/07/10 Postagens Recentes
Jan Tošovský:

Unfortunately, my voice wasn't strong enough...
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 3089 Data de Entrada: 28/10/08 Postagens Recentes
Jan Tošovský:
Jan Tošovský:

Unfortunately, my voice wasn't strong enough...

Hi Jan,

I guess in this case is more a non-compatiblity issue (IE11) than not hearing your voice. Seems that IE11 was released just few days before than the 6.2.0 release, so it wasn't supported for 6.2 CE.
thumbnail

Juan Gonzalez:
I guess in this case is more a non-compatiblity issue (IE11) than not hearing your voice. Seems that IE11 was released just few days before than the 6.2.0 release, so it wasn't supported for 6.2 CE.

That argument works for 6.2.0's first release, um, in November 2013. If this were, say, December 2013 then it still holds water.

But we're well over a year since the release of IE 11, and there are folks who stay current in IE for obvious reasons (bugs and security fixes). Sometime within that 1 year and 3 mos there should have been some time to address compatibility issues with the latest browsers...